Linux to kill Windows 7?

Reaction score
So there's a fantastic hatchet piece over at Zmogo that touts Linux's superiority to the impending Windows 7.

I thought you would all be very amused to read the outrageous and misinformed claims. I know I was.

//EDIT: On second thought, this would probably be better in off-topic.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A very interesting read (good find!) :D

I'm all for Linux, but I can't imagine myself using it as my main OS unless it improves drastically. What particularly confused me in the article was:

But Fedora 11 may be ahead by the fact that it is already on a great operating system where Windows 7 will require new hardware
Windows 7 actually runs better on older hardware than Vista does. Like you said in the comments, they should research the facts!

It's a shame when you get Linux fanboys and MS fanboys... as both operating systems have their place. The real test will be when Windows 7 is a couple of months old - Vista got quite a negative reaction very quickly, where as XP was touted as a huge step up once people got used to it.

Reaction score
My one foray into (Ubunto) Linux just made me appriciate Windows all the more!
Linux is for geeks, not for 'normal' people!

Reaction score
And here's the well-researched counter-point to this shlock of an article which explains why Netbook users demand Windows, and will love it with Windows 7: Here.

Reaction score
And here's the well-researched counter-point to this shlock of an article which explains why Netbook users demand Windows, and will love it with Windows 7: Here.
The article mentions a very interesting point about sale from the Carphone Warehouse in the UK. If 20% of people return a product as they don't know how to use it (because it runs Linux), you can understand why Windows 7 will be a bit hit. It's so easy to understand, works out of the box and is faster than Vista.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if many people will switch from Linux to Windows 7 when it comes out?

I don't know many people that exclusively use Linux, in fact... I don't know any. As good as linux is, I can't imagine most users wanting to switch to it any time soon.

Reaction score
I wonder if many people will switch from Linux to Windows 7 when it comes out?

I don't know many people that exclusively use Linux, in fact... I don't know any. As good as linux is, I can't imagine most users wanting to switch to it any time soon.
Lots of people gravitated to linux due to the in my opinion the bad rep Vista had plus the price ! Way out of the league of many folk the price of a Vista Ultimate .

Think windows 7 will bring lots of people back to windows if the price is right :lol:

Reaction score
I tried, really, but...

...I won't switch to Seven. I'll keep my current OS.
7 is faster and lighter than Vista. It's less intrusive and much smarter.
7 is more up to date than XP, supporting AHCI and more devices right off the CD/DVD, while also using advanced prefetching and DirectX 10.
7 can run on netbooks.

But, I'm sorry, the 3 apps limit for Seven Starter Edition is a cruel joke, and adding 40 bucks on top of a (otherwise naked) $250 machine so as to make the OS work 'right' is asking too much. Even worse, if I want to have the eye candy, it's not $40, it's $70 I'll have to fork over! And that still doesn't allow me to set up ACLs and do without UAC without compromising security: I'll have to get the Platinum edition for that, probably a whopping $200 extra! For a $250 machine (which already has an OS) to be usable at a price of $450 is a bit much.

For $250, I'd rather keep my (or buy a new) netbook. I can run a mail client, a web browser, watch streaming TV, update my iPod (yes, there is reverse engineered iPod support in Linux), and chat, on a 3D compositing desktop with all the eye candy I may want (or want to remove), while at the same time feeling safe that the data stored in the 'work' account running in the background can't be reached if the current session is compromized.

I used to not have a choice: I used to have to buy a machine with Windows installed (not exactly true: at one time, I could choose between MS-DOS and PC-DOS), then format it and install the OS I wanted on it.

Now I can buy one ready to use. Why would I want to pay more for no more?

Reaction score
Why are we talking about starter editions for netbooks? Most netbooks will ship with Home Premium.

Ask a Question