Mixing Windows and linux partitions in a hard disk , is that wise ?

Reaction score
Yesterday, talking about how to share data between linux and windows , i asked if someone knew any software to read linux partitions.

I have to say that i found one called ext2fsd that works quite well in windows 7 , that at least can read ext3.

But what i am insure of , is , if there is a wise idea to in a harddisk mix linux ext3 / xfs partitions with NTFS partitions.

in that post someone seid that he wouldn't be confortable with the idea of allowing any windows partition near ext3/4 partitions.

That would be better to put ext3/4 partition , or xfs and then the swap , then the Win 7 partition.

Could windows corrupt that partitions ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you set your partitions correctly, making Windows first, then creating separate ones for your Linux OS's, you'll be fine. When installing, just don't select the option to access Windows documents. I've used Linux OS's for two years now, and have had no problems. Neither OS will be corrupted. The only problem that I've encountered with installing Linux was installing Ubuntu into Windows, using Wubi. By all means, stay away from Wubi, as both OS's can become corrupted. There's nothing at all wrong with installing both OS's on the same drive. I have Windows 7 Pro x64, Linux Mint 8 x64 and Ubuntu 9.10 x64, all on the same drive. Windows 7 has 210GB, Mint has 50GB, Ubuntu has 50GB, there's a 2GB swap and a 12GB recovery partition for Windows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I suppose that copy data, not write , only read , ext3/4/xfs from windows , because you need some data , is not bad.

And copy data from ntfs to a xfs partition from linux , is not dangerous (a xfs partition mounted in home , that is not home or / ).

For example , you have formated that partition to save 3d projects , and you need to copy a project from a xfs partition to that ntfs partition.

Better use ex2fsd or like to copy it from windows , that go to linux and copy it to ntfs (i think that write now is possible).

You make some changes in the project, and you preffer to copy it to your 1 tb hard disk in xfs where you have all your cg.

I think to do that , is wise to go to linux and copy the data from the ntfs partition to the xfs partition , then change owner , permisions and like.

So , never let windows or linux write to a extrange partition (windows write to xfs , linux write to ntfs) , only read.

no ?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks catilley1092
Anytime, whitewolf573! Just remember to keep these discussions in the off topic discussions, as you have done so with this thread. It would be a big time distraction to post these issues in the main forum.:)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The safest way I know of getting Linux and Windows to play nice is to use something like VirtualBox. Once the VBox is installed you can install any operating system into it and run it within windows itself. Then if you don't like Linux it's a simple delete and it's gone with zero mucking about with your Boot member.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks draceena, I have several VM's and didn't even think about that. Had several things going on a one time. whitewolf573, draceena told you right. This is what I do when evaluating OS's, is installing it within a VM. There are two free ones, VM Player from File Hippo (you can get it from the main company, but you have to register, you don't with File Hippo), and Sun has a Virtual Box that's good, too. The one from Sun is better, in my experience with the product. It starts up faster, and it's overall the better of the two. That way, you can try different ones out, and if you find one you really like, you can partition and do a regular install. If you need anymore help, post anytime.

Ask a Question