Library Arrangement Problem

Reaction score
I have a number of libraries set-up and all work okay when they are arranged by folder. However if I attempt to arrange some of them by another criteria, eg Name or Month, I simply get a result which says "This folder is empty" which I know not to be true. In one library, when I arrange by name I only get some of my files listed with many missing. A couple of the libraries seem to arrange without problems.

I have searched high and low for some clues as to the possible problem to no avail.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you show us screne snapshots of what you mean? Are you using windows explorer? Do you have the folder and search options set to "show all folders" ?

Reaction score
I'm using Windows Explorer.

The first screen shot below shows the result of trying to arrange my Pictures library by Month:-

Snap_2010.07.20 14.03.04_001-3.jpg

Note that it says "This folder is empty". If however I arrange the Pictures library by Folder you can see from the following screen shot that the Pictures library is not empty and contains many files:-

Snap_2010.07.20 14.03.41_002-4.jpg

Folders and search options are turned on tho show all folders.

Reaction score
I don't use the libraries either. However since you ask for help, I set my photo folder location in libraries. I have to say that the libraries on my end is working.

There could be a small glitch. Have you selected a different folder to see if it will sort by month or days?

Have you disabled any services that could be needed for this feature to work correctly?

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my first post, I do have some libraries which can be arranged by Name or Month, etc. For those libraries which will not arrange you cannot arrange any of the sub-folders within those libraries.

I suspect my problem maybe file related because in one particular library I get some files listed when I arrange by Name however all files in the library are not listed. For instance, in one of the library sub-folders there are five pdf files listed when I arrange that sub-folder by Folder however when I arrange that same sub-folder by Name only one pdf file is shown.

I have not disabled or changed any service.

I also have another computer running the same operating system and I'm not getting any library problems.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm thinking you might want to run the Windoes file Checker.

Open a Command Prompt inadministrator Mode and type in: sfc /scannow

If you are not sure how to do this, please ask.

Reaction score
draceena said:
Open a Command Prompt inadministrator Mode and type in: sfc /scannow
The result of the scan stated that there were no integrity violations.

TrainableMan said:
I am guessing there is an XML file that has stored your list and supposedly you can delete or include items as you wish.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows...you-want-them/
You can probably delete the XML file and start over.
Had been through this explanation and the associated comments prior to raising my post and my setup would seem to be similar to that described in the link.

Obviously, there is a difference!!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi,

Did you ever find out how to fix this? My laptop has just started doing the exact same thing. Its a Dell Studio, running Windows 7 64bit.

Cheers

Reaction score
Windows 64-bit user here...
Same issue here
Very annoying... No idea how to solve it

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have W7 Pro 64-bit and back when I first posted I had disabled libraries but I have been using them for at least 5 months now. But until bkdotcom rehashed this old thread I had never "Arranged By" anything but Folder.

I tried arranging My Pictures by Month and could not duplicate the problem. I have 3 separate folders on two different harddrives that make up "my videos" and if I sort it by year I still have no problems

so ...
Can you be more specific about your current set-up. I wonder if your system doesn't have enough memory to process the sort - how much memory do you have? Which library are you sorting: Pictures, Music, something else you created? How many items (total physical count) do you have in that library? And are you sure you have not created some sort of recursive loop; since you can create pointers to any folder. It is possible to have "My Documents" with a pointer to folder "A" ", then under "A" you may have a folder "C" and then under folder "C" you can have a pointer to the same folder "A"; this causes a recursion problem which you can parse down forever A -> C -> A (again) -> C (again) -> A (third time) -> etc.

Give as much detail as possible because I was unable to duplicate the problem.

Reaction score
Windows 7 - 64bit
8GB ram

Pictures Library: includes 3 locations
c:\Users\*me*\Pictures (default save location)
c:\Users\Public\Pictures
f:\Pictures

the c drive locations (any file/folder within) do not appear when arranging by month...
which makes me wonder.....
my c:\Users dir is actually a symlink to d:\Users
I have just removed the c:\Users locations and added the d:\Users locations...
now working!... not sure if it was the simple act of adding/removing or needing to change to d:\
gotta run now, but will report back

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you are saying that if you use this symlinks option then the Sort By option no longer works? You might want to post that in the comments on that webpage. And thanks for offering it here as a possible cause/solution.

Ask a Question