SOLVED Remove the 'organize, include in library, new folder' bar in windows 7

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've always wondered, is it possible to remove the 'organize, include in library, new folder' bar that is present on all windows explorer windows? I have attached a screenshot jpg of what it looks like in windows 7 under the classic view scheme. I have highlighted the problem bar in a red outline.

I find this bar very annoying because it was never present in windows xp, and I would rather have more viewable space in the window than have this useless bar there at all times. All of the options that it presents are available somewhere else so no functionality is lost.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is true, Windows Explorer changed from XP to W7 and I agree the changes stink. There are alternatives to W7's Windows Explorer but they all seem to have drawbacks too.

I'm not aware of a way to alter Windows Explorer in the fashion you desire. You can add back the File Menu bar but I do not know a way to get rid of the Organize bar.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually it may be possible. I found an article on ASKVG but it is not something I would suggest for everyone because it requires a tool called Resource Hacker to actually edit a system DLL file.

Reaction score
Huzzah! I got something almost as good as removing it to work. I used a program called 'Resource Hacker' to modify shellstyle.dll found in the system 32 folder. I added the following line <Element padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,-28rp)"/> which I put after the existing line <style resid="FolderBandStyle"> and re-compiled the .dll file. Restarted computer and it worked, it basically hides the command bar text completely and almost hides the actual bar itself except for a very small amount of space where you can still hover your mouse over the buttons to get a pop-up description of them.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, what you did is the same solution offered in the ASKVG link I posted above. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Ask a Question