libraries are trying to drive me crazy!!!

What's the most positive experience for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
libraries are trying to drive me crazy!!!

I have a small but very upsetting problem.
What I do is upload loads of pictures one by one in to an internet location, from a folders which are buried bit deep. So what I am use to from many years is that once I get to the location, the system remembers it, so while I am uploading from the same place the photos one by one, it always takes me to the same folder, but the Windows 7 takes me as a first step to the libraries now, and from them I have to always find my path to the place where I was, and which the older windows were able to locate easily on their own, now I have to always do many mouse clicks, and many seconds operation what was before automatic. So in another words, the libraries give me an extra work, and complicate my life. Is there to way to fix this easy? ..., since I read that you can't switch them off (of course, why would life be easy, with new software), and the eliminating them seems bit difficult.
Why can't it remember, where I was just seconds ago, and put me in the same place again? Why does it put me to libraries, which I don't want to have anything to do with. I know where my things are, I don't need the "help" from them, why does it interfere in my life, and why can't I am not able to simply switch it off, and do things just like I am use to, instead of more complicated way? It is so simple, any time one is uploading something to the internet, one finds where he has it on his PC, and then the PC remembers where it was, and goes to the same place, over and over, till one changes it, but no windows 7, they are hell bent on showing you, this amazing new libraries thing, that now you have to visit, every time you want to do something, which is in my case 100's time a day... So sad...
How do I manage that it remembers the path of my upload I have chosen in the first place, and never changes it in to the libraries please?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Ok, so I know this can be annoying, and, there are a few possible options.

Firstly, have you tried puting the files in a place like "Download"? It isn't a library so ut should take you back there every time.

Also, you can create a folder in the root of your HD, where you keep all the files.
Eg: C:\Upload or C:\Photos

Also, why don't you search for files to upload, put them in a special folder, and then upload them all at once? That could save you a lot of time.

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
How are you uploading them? Are you using a browser or ftp or what?

Whenever I upload pictures to Facebook with Firefox one by one, the Open dialog opens the last folder I picked a picture from...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use ImageShack as the site where I store my photos. Windows 7 always remembers which folder from where I uploaded the files.

There is always a handy Firefox add-on from the ImageShack website to integrate in the browser to upload photos and such from websites.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure this will solve your problem but it definately won't hurt to try ...
Open Windows Explorer
Select Organize
Pick Folder and Search Options
Check Automatically expand to current folder
Click Apply and then OK

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Ok, so I know this can be annoying, and, there are a few possible options.

Firstly, have you tried puting the files in a place like "Download"? It isn't a library so ut should take you back there every time.

Also, you can create a folder in the root of your HD, where you keep all the files.
Eg: C:\Upload or C:\Photos

Also, why don't you search for files to upload, put them in a special folder, and then upload them all at once? That could save you a lot of time.

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat
Thanks very much. I will try these. I think the first thing could actually do the trick. Why didn't think of it my self? It's a work thing, so I have to wait till Tuesday.
The uploading all at the same time would not work, since it is not exactly holiday photo collection, but adding a different photos, to different entries on VPN, using the same system... Work. I am not sure how better to describe it. But the fact, that not everything is in these libraries may be helpful. If I can make it the "C:\Photos", and bypass the libraries altogether, that would be actually a dream come true... I hate the name, hate the icon, and hate the idea, of the ever improving world out-there to get me... When it comes to PC's I like very slow, and steady progress, not these leaps and never-ending learning of new ways...
Thanks everybody for your input!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help.

By the way, to create the folder, all you have to do is go to the root of the HD, and once there, Right-click >New > New Folder.
You can then rename it to whatever you want.

Also, why not make the folder in question on the desktop? You could then have easy access to the folder, and you could simply drag & drop files in it.

Reaction score
Glad I could help.

By the way, to create the folder, all you have to do is go to the root of the HD, and once there, Right-click >New > New Folder.
You can then rename it to whatever you want.

Also, why not make the folder in question on the desktop? You could then have easy access to the folder, and you could simply drag & drop files in it.
Nope desktop would be messy, but today I am very happy to say it worked, and the libraries are successfully dead to me... I had another problem, in how to always get the default thumbnail view I was use to with the MY PICTURES folder, but this helped me to solve that: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57608-45-folder-view-thumbnails-uploading#bas
It's meant ot be for XP, but it worked on the W7 as well....
Thanks very much guys!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Glad to see you got all configured the way you want!

Reaction score
well the way I wan't would be nice simple friendly XP, but I guess one have to always feel like a slave in this world of Microsoft... Maybe not one like you, but simpletons like me, sure like things the way they were, and if changes occur, to have a simple choice if they want them or not. Not to have anything forced on them, just like the stupid libraries were...

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Well, according to the results of your own poll, you are in the minority. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
well the way I wan't would be nice simple friendly XP, but I guess one have to always feel like a slave in this world of Microsoft... Maybe not one like you, but simpletons like me, sure like things the way they were, and if changes occur, to have a simple choice if they want them or not. Not to have anything forced on them, just like the stupid libraries were...
You could copy the explorer.exe file from a XP machine and then run it in Windows 7 in compatibility mode for XP. The file is located at C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Though would this be legal? Not too sure... Anybody here know?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What version of Windows 7 do you use - if you have Pro or Ultimate you can simply download and use VirtualXP. Almost everything would look and feel like your old OS.

Reaction score
What version of Windows 7 do you use - if you have Pro or Ultimate you can simply download and use VirtualXP. Almost everything would look and feel like your old OS.
of course, of course... if I am willing to pay more money, or do some extra efforts I can arrive to the place THEY LEFT ME FRIGGGGGGING MANY YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!

Some progress it is. One has to run faster and faster just to stay in the place where he was standing in the first instance...

The same answer like if you would like a stupid filmstrip view just like old XP had... Pay more money and try extra harder, and it will be almost as it was... How stupid is that?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you pay more money to upgrade your version of W7, I simply asked what version you have. If you have starter or home premium I really wouldn't suggest paying to go higher up a chain you are not happy with. You might be able to reformat and reinstall your XP. Just be sure to upgrade to SP3 (service pack 3) because the rest are no longer supported by Microsoft (no more security fixes etc). Then check with the store or Microsoft to see if you can receive a refund on W7.

By the way there is a hack to remove libraries but it doesn't make windows explorer go to the last used folder (that really has nothing to do with the libraries). I do agree with you, I preferred it when windows explorer remembered and opened to the last folder used but, that is one of the many features they chose to drop and has been gone since Win2K..

The basic function of "libraries" is that it allows you to create a pointer right to any folder, so if you constantly need in a deep subfolder you could essentially put that folder right in the libraries root and it be a single click away.

Another idea, if you upload lots and lots of pictures is an FTP client. Or some sites provide file managers for uploading and since this would be in the browser cookies for the site it may be (in my experience they generally do) start from the folder you last used.

BTW, since you are in a Windows 7 forum I submit that your poll will likely be skewed. But I will mention from my experience that W7 does get easier the more you work with it. And I will also offer that it's possible you & I remember XP as a more positive experience, not because transition from Win98 to XP was easier, but more likely because it was so long ago that we forget the transition and only recall the 10 years since. Change is always hard.

Last edited:

Ask a Question