Large File Descriptions in Explorer

Reaction score
Hello

Our Historical Society has a large number of jpeg files with large descriptions of the people in the pictures and I'm looking into ways to store these on the file itself rather than seperate txt files used at the moment.

The archive is accessed by a variety of machines from XP laptops upto Windows 7 (and potentially 8), not all archivists are computer orientated, therefore I'm looking for a straight forward approach prefereably without the need for additional software and finally the descriptions need to be searchable as we get keyword enquiries for a Name or Building.

I've looked at the comments column but it's limited to 259 characters but in some instances I need 600+ characters. I've looked at Tags in the likes of Picasa/Windows live Gallery which are fine for peoples names or groups but not really useful for long descriptions.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives. Cheers

Reaction score
Have you considered embedding both the picture and description into another file format, such as DOC, XLS, or PDF?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer, if you simply right-click on the photo and choose properties. Then go to the Details tab. There you can add Title, Description, Keyword Tags, Comment, Date Taken, Copyright, etc.

I'm not sure how large you can get but it might be sufficient.

Ask a Question