SOLVED LAN issue

Reaction score
Ok so I originally built my PC back in Dec, 07' with an ASUS P5N-E sli motherboard and installed Win XP Pro 32bit and I was never able to get the onboard LAN to work. So I used a separate LAN card in a pci slot. Forward to 2010 I installed Win 7 Pro 64bit on a new hdd as a dual boot. The onboard LAN works with Win 7, but not with my Win XP? And the separate LAN does not work with Win 7. Does anybody know what could be going on here?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Some LAN cards doesn't work with Windows 7 at all. This includes wireless (cell) modems, as well. It's usually a driver issue, it sounds as though your onboard LAN was made to work with Vista 64 bit, being that it was 2007. This is probably why you had to install a separate LAN card for XP Pro 32 bit. When I moved forward to Windows 7, I had to get a new cell modem, the one that worked fine with XP 32 bit didn't work at all with Windows 7.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Some onboard LAN are finicky to say the least. Since you're on Windows 7 now, no need to worry about the past.

I see you have a Marvell 88E1116 LAN chipset on that ASUS motherboard. I have always had issues with the Marvell LAN chipset drivers... must be me, so count yourself lucky!

Take out the PCI LAN card just so you don't have any issues or conflicts.

Some LAN chipset makers have their own updated drivers on their websites.

For example; I use an AirLink101 Wireless B,G & N two antenna PCI card. Ralink makes the chipset for it. Airlink's website shows an out of date driver on it, but when I go to Ralink they have the newest driver from March of 2010.

Ask a Question