LAN connection speed at 10Mbps max now, was 100


M

Mike H

My wired 'Local Area Connection Status' shows this pc connects at 10 mbps
max now instead of the default 100 mbps. I tested the line using 2 other pcs
and they show 100 so the hiccup must be in this win7 box.
Any ideas where to look to fix this please?
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Seth

Mike H said:
My wired 'Local Area Connection Status' shows this pc connects at 10 mbps
max now instead of the default 100 mbps. I tested the line using 2 other
pcs and they show 100 so the hiccup must be in this win7 box.
Any ideas where to look to fix this please?
Check the properties of the adapter.

- Go to the Network and Sharing Center
- Change adapter settings
- Right click on the wired adapter (usually labeled "Local Area Connection")
and choose properties.
- Click the "Configure" button
- Go to the "Advanced" tab
- Check your speed and duplex settings there. Either change to "Auto" which
works fine the majority of the time, or hard code the desired speed and
duplex settings.
 
M

Mike H

Seth said:
Check the properties of the adapter.

- Go to the Network and Sharing Center
- Change adapter settings
- Right click on the wired adapter (usually labeled "Local Area
Connection") and choose properties.
- Click the "Configure" button
- Go to the "Advanced" tab
- Check your speed and duplex settings there. Either change to "Auto"
which works fine the majority of the time, or hard code the desired speed
and duplex settings.
Thanks Seth, I tried to change settings following your advice, returning
them to defaults when they didn't work.
Each change seems to not make any difference, then I found the test
connection button and ran it, it reports:
connection test passed
obtained IP address from DHCP
Ping passed
Link speed 10Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

This is most strange because the router at the other end of this wire sends
at 100 to other PCs when plugged in to the same socket, and this win7 did
see 100 too when I last checked it.
No errors show in device manager for the onboard one.

Is it likely if I buy a new network adapter adaptor card it will run at full
speed and ignore the motherboard one?
 
Y

Yousuf Khan

Is it likely if I buy a new network adapter adaptor card it will run at
full
speed and ignore the motherboard one?
Yes, that's the usual solution, if you can't get the onboard LAN to work
properly.

Yousuf Khan
 
S

Seth

Mike H said:
Thanks Seth, I tried to change settings following your advice, returning
them to defaults when they didn't work.
Each change seems to not make any difference, then I found the test
connection button and ran it, it reports:
connection test passed
obtained IP address from DHCP
Ping passed
Link speed 10Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

This is most strange because the router at the other end of this wire
sends
at 100 to other PCs when plugged in to the same socket, and this win7 did
see 100 too when I last checked it.
No errors show in device manager for the onboard one.

Is it likely if I buy a new network adapter adaptor card it will run at
full
speed and ignore the motherboard one?
I'd try a different cable first. A flaky or near death cable can give odd
results. Also try different ports on the other end.

If all else fails, try a 3rd party card in or USB/Ethernet adapter.
 
S

SC Tom

Mike H said:
Thanks Seth, I tried to change settings following your advice, returning
them to defaults when they didn't work.
Each change seems to not make any difference, then I found the test
connection button and ran it, it reports:
connection test passed
obtained IP address from DHCP
Ping passed
Link speed 10Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

This is most strange because the router at the other end of this wire
sends
at 100 to other PCs when plugged in to the same socket, and this win7 did
see 100 too when I last checked it.
No errors show in device manager for the onboard one.

Is it likely if I buy a new network adapter adaptor card it will run at
full
speed and ignore the motherboard one?
Did it ever work correctly on this motherboard? Is this a new install on
Win7 or did the PC come with it pre-installed with it? If a new cable
doesn't correct it, try reloading the motherboard drivers for the onboard
NIC.

If you do have to get a new NIC, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard
one or you'll run into conflicts later. It's not that unusual for an onboard
NIC to go out. I've put in replacement cards for almost every MB I've had,
either because the onboard NIC completely died or started working
sporadically.
 
Ad

Advertisements

C

Char Jackson

Did it ever work correctly on this motherboard? Is this a new install on
Win7 or did the PC come with it pre-installed with it? If a new cable
doesn't correct it, try reloading the motherboard drivers for the onboard
NIC.

If you do have to get a new NIC, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard
one or you'll run into conflicts later. It's not that unusual for an onboard
NIC to go out. I've put in replacement cards for almost every MB I've had,
either because the onboard NIC completely died or started working
sporadically.
Tom, I agree with your advice except for the likelihood of conflicts
if the onboard NIC is left enabled after adding a second NIC. Multiple
NICs should be a supported configuration.

Most of my systems have dual NICs, while my pfSense load balancer PC
has 6 NICs installed.
 
M

Mike H

Tom, I agree with your advice except for the likelihood of conflicts
if the onboard NIC is left enabled after adding a second NIC. Multiple
NICs should be a supported configuration.

Most of my systems have dual NICs, while my pfSense load balancer PC
has 6 NICs installed.

--
Thanks for your help everyone.
I was about to go buy a new card so I tried uninstalling and removing the
drivers from my pc. I can plug in a wireless dongle to get to the internet
if it needed fresh ones.
On reboot it found and installed what it needed and its back to full speed
now, 100.
thanks again
 
S

SC Tom

Not sure who this reply was from- I didn't see it except as part of Mike's
reply.

You are correct, multiple NIC's are supported with little difficulty. But,
if there is a problem with one of them (be it onboard or not), the problem
NIC is going to cause a problem/conflict with any others that are installed.
All of our servers always had multiple NIC's with load balancing and
failover, but if one failed in that scenario, it just took that one out of
the loop and notified me of a problem. On my home systems with a failed
onboard NIC, it usually dragged the rest of the system down until it I
disabled the faulty one in BIOS. YMMV :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

Z

Zaidy036

Mike H at said:
Thanks Seth, I tried to change settings following your advice, returning
them to defaults when they didn't work.
Each change seems to not make any difference, then I found the test
connection button and ran it, it reports:
connection test passed
obtained IP address from DHCP
Ping passed
Link speed 10Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

This is most strange because the router at the other end of this wire sends
at 100 to other PCs when plugged in to the same socket, and this win7 did
see 100 too when I last checked it.
No errors show in device manager for the onboard one.

Is it likely if I buy a new network adapter adaptor card it will run at full
speed and ignore the motherboard one?
Also as a test move your cable at the router into one of the ports that works
at 100MB.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top