SOLVED kbdclass.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Reaction score
I decided to manually disable the "hardware" that is associated with the Siemens software through the device manager. There are a total of 11 "devices" that show up here. None of them have the same date as our mystery driver, though they all show Siemens AG in the digital signature.

I was disabling them one-by-one and got a BSOD on the 7th one I disabled, which was 'SIMATIC PPI Transport'. I have attached that BSOD for reference. ntoskrnl.exe is the only one I see here, which is consistent with my initial post in this thread.

I'm going to see if I get the kbdclass.sys BSOD when I use the keyboard at this point, then I'll probably finish disabling all the Siemens "hardware". Note that there is no hardware from Siemens connected to this computer.

Attachments

Reaction score
Well, one of the drivers cannot be disabled. I get BSOD when I try, unrelated to the keyboard. As soon as I click the confirmation for disabling the driver it BSODs. With all the others disabled I still get the kbdclass.sys as soon as i type a couple letters. The one from 3:17 PM is the first (non kbdclass) one and the 3:44 PM one is the kbdclass one.

The ntoskrnl.exe shows up on every dump. Could this be the root of the issue? Is it possible to reinstall this driver?

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I would think that you have 2 choices, either uninstall the Seimens software or see if Seimens has a updated version.

The crashes point to kbdclass.sys

Code:
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for fwkbdrtm.sys 
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for fwkbdrtm.sys 
Probably caused by : kbdclass.sys ( kbdclass!memmove+64 ) 
BugCheck D1, {0, 2, 1, fffff88004804954} 
BugCheck Info: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) 
Bugcheck code 000000d1 
Arguments: 
Arg1: 0000000000000000, memory referenced 
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL 
Arg3: 0000000000000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation 
Arg4: fffff88004804954, address which referenced memory 
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1 
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP 
PROCESS_NAME: System 
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xD1_VRF_kbdclass!memmove+64

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sure, but how did things go with the USB keyboard with out the Seimens software?

Reaction score
In post #20 I provided the dump file for the BSOD after removing all the Siemens software.

Post #21 and #22 I provided the dump files for BSODs following various other efforts.

In short, we're at the same spot.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry for the late responce mate. I had to re-build my hard drive.

Create a System Restore point then:
Open a command prompt as Administrator
Code:
cd C:\Windows\system32\drivers\
ren fwkbdrtm.sys fwkbdrtm.bak
Reboot and see how it goes.

Reaction score
I tried your suggestion Shintaro, but all it did was disable my keyboard and mouse. Luckily I could remote in and correct it. It also gave me an idea. It seemed that Windows was using the Siemens keyboard driver instead of the kbdclass.sys one. I managed to find a thread on the Siemens website that addressed this issue and provided a way to uninstall the driver. They identify it as an issue with the WinCC runtime and an HP computer, but this seems to have worked for me and I'm running Dell. See that thread here.

In case that link is broken in the future, here are the instructions:

1. Run the command line as the Administrator
2. Open the driver directory. The directory path for the driver directory depends on the installed operating system.
Driver directory on 32-bit systems:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Siemens\HmiRTmDriver32"
Driver directory on 64-bit systems:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Siemens\HmiRTmDriver64"
3. Remove the driver with the following command:
For the WinCC flexible Runtime:
"FwKbdRTmRegister.exe -r fwkbdrtm -d fwkbdrtm.sys"
4. Quit the command prompt and restart the PC.

So far this seems to have fixed my problem, I'm running a USB mouse and keyboard now and no BSOD after an hour or so of use. Prior to this it would BSOD within one or two clicks of the mouse or one key of the keyboard.

Thanks for all the help Shintaro, hopefully this resolves the issue for others.

Reaction score
I tried your suggestion Shintaro, but all it did was disable my keyboard and mouse. Luckily I could remote in and correct it. It also gave me an idea. It seemed that Windows was using the Siemens keyboard driver instead of the kbdclass.sys one. I managed to find a thread on the Siemens website that addressed this issue and provided a way to uninstall the driver. They identify it as an issue with the WinCC runtime and an HP computer, but this seems to have worked for me and I'm running Dell. See that thread <link removed because new account>

In case that link is broken in the future, here are the instructions:

1. Run the command line as the Administrator
2. Open the driver directory. The directory path for the driver directory depends on the installed operating system.
Driver directory on 32-bit systems:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Siemens\HmiRTmDriver32"
Driver directory on 64-bit systems:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Siemens\HmiRTmDriver64"
3. Remove the driver with the following command:
For the WinCC flexible Runtime:
"FwKbdRTmRegister.exe -r fwkbdrtm -d fwkbdrtm.sys"
4. Quit the command prompt and restart the PC.

So far this seems to have fixed my problem, I'm running a USB mouse and keyboard now and no BSOD after an hour or so of use. Prior to this it would BSOD within one or two clicks of the mouse or one key of the keyboard.

Thanks for all the help Shintaro, hopefully this resolves the issue for others.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seemed necessary. I made an account here just to post this; hopefully it helps the few Siemens programmers out there with this issue.

I have TIA Portal v13 SP1 installed on my Dell laptop, and it was giving me the same issue with BSODs after a few keystrokes. I solved it using your method, but with one small difference: substitute CoRtKbdRTmRegister.exe for the other executable. The switches and driver names remain the same, for now.

Thanks for pursuing this to the end, and for posting your results. Hopefully this thread stays alive long enough to help another poor soul with this problem.

Ask a Question