SOLVED Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 in Win 7 Professional & XP Mode?

Reaction score
I have a 3 licence copy of Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I have tried to install it in my XP mode as well as on Win 7 but during installation I get a message saying that I have got a copy already in my C drive. I only have C drive so I am not sure what to do now, can anyone advise. Should I use one of the free ones and something like Malawarebytes alongside it in my XP Mode?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Ancient Lady, welcome to the forum! You can run MSE or Avast (they are free) along with Malwarebytes in XP Mode, that won't be a problem. You are smart to realize that you need Malwarebytes along with the AV, many users rely on a single program for everything, that's like playing Russian Roulette with your computer. But I wonder why it won't install, since it's a different OS in your VM. If you were to install a dual boot, it would probably install with no issue. But hopefully, I've helped you with your inquiry. Should you need further assistance, Ancient Lady, come back anytime.

Reaction score
Thank you Catilley1092 for replying. I will try this out. I am not very clever at all. I used to have XP and I ran Avast 4 and Malawarebytes together very sucessfully. I am not very technical so maybe I shouldnt be thinking of a dual boot at this stage.
Have you any knowledge of whether the AV on XP mode boots at startup or just when XP mode is opened? I am wondering if it is at startup will there be conflicts with Kaspersky?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
:)
Thank you Catilley1092 for replying. I will try this out. I am not very clever at all. I used to have XP and I ran Avast 4 and Malawarebytes together very sucessfully. I am not very technical so maybe I shouldnt be thinking of a dual boot at this stage.
Have you any knowledge of whether the AV on XP mode boots at startup or just when XP mode is opened? I am wondering if it is at startup will there be conflicts with Kaspersky?
Your AV will only startup when you open your VM. In fact, the time doesn't even update in it until you open it, look next time you open it, you'll see. I don't see any problems regarding conflicts with programs. You probably won't be using the VM all of the time anyway. Avast has since upgraded to 5.0 with a different look, but it's performance is as good or better. But you do want to install Malwarebytes too, as XP is not very secure anymore. Be sure to set the OS to Auto Update, and if you don't use it for a while, fire it up anyway, just to let everything update. Also, MSE is a good choice of AV for this purpose, on my main Windows 7 partition, I run Avast 5.0 and MSE together with no issues. But I feel that you'll be fine, when the VM is powered down, it lays there silent, and doesn't even update until you run it. If you have any other concerns or questions, don't hesitate to post back. P.S. You're more clever than you think! There's been members on here who didn't even know how to install an AV, let alone a VM. You're doing fine!:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
May I ask one more question referring to my earlier post in which my computer said I had already got Kaspersky installed when I was trying to put it into my XP Mode.
As I said I only have a C drive and I have 2 folders in C which say Program Files and Program Files x86.
XP Mode is in Program Files and when I was installing Kaspersky I just let it default to the folder the computer chose. Could this be why I couldn't install the same AV in Win 7 and XP. Should I have chosen the XP Folder within Program Files to install the second licence of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.
I got the same message installing Malawarebytes in both. Malawarebytes appears to be in Program Files x 86 and although I have installed it in XP Mode as well it doesn't seem to be in the Program Files list. Perhaps I haven't installed it in XP after all.
I also noticed that I have the integration mode turned on in the XP mode. Could this be a problem or is it supposed to be enabled?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
May I ask one more question referring to my earlier post in which my computer said I had already got Kaspersky installed when I was trying to put it into my XP Mode.
As I said I only have a C drive and I have 2 folders in C which say Program Files and Program Files x86.
XP Mode is in Program Files and when I was installing Kaspersky I just let it default to the folder the computer chose. Could this be why I couldn't install the same AV in Win 7 and XP. Should I have chosen the XP Folder within Program Files to install the second licence of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.
I got the same message installing Malawarebytes in both. Malawarebytes appears to be in Program Files x 86 and although I have installed it in XP Mode as well it doesn't seem to be in the Program Files list. Perhaps I haven't installed it in XP after all.
I also noticed that I have the integration mode turned on in the XP mode. Could this be a problem or is it supposed to be enabled?
You have a different XP Mode than I, so I don't know all of the details of yours. Evidently, it's enabled by default, unless you checked otherwise. You can try once again to install it, if it goes, then you're good. You do have to have XP Mode open when attempting to installing software within it. If you don't have an AV shortcut evident on your opening screen, I assume you're not protected. You can even check the start menu, there your programs should appear. If it shows in the Start menu of XP Mode, try running it and see what happens. Your version of XP Mode is Microsoft's, if I've understood you correctly. Most home users do not have access to this version, as you have to have Pro or Ultimate (with qualifying hardware) to run it. You may need to refer to your installation guide for detailed instructions. Most of us has to download a separate player and have an OS to install within it. Please post again if you need further help, and I hope you get your AV issue resolved. Let us know the outcome, so that it may benefit the members here.

Reaction score
There are a few things that are concerning about the advice in this thread.
1. Kaspersky Internet Security is not simply an AV, like many packages today it covers a very wide spectrum of Internet threats ( malware included).
2. It is not wise to advise users to use multiple programmes to tackle Internet threats. So many mistakenly install multiple programmes that compete resulting in either system corruption or reduced defence against attack. It is if fact better to stick with one vendor that offers comprehensive protection, it is their businees to offer complete threat protection.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There are a few things that are concerning about the advice in this thread.
1. Kaspersky Internet Security is not simply an AV, like many packages today it covers a very wide spectrum of Internet threats ( malware included).
2. It is not wise to advise users to use multiple programmes to tackle Internet threats. So many mistakenly install multiple programmes that compete resulting in either system corruption or reduced defence against attack. It is if fact better to stick with one vendor that offers comprehensive protection, it is their businees to offer complete threat protection.
I would never advise one to use two AV's running together, although I do (Avast & MSE together) for layered protection. Secondly, it was a second OS that I was describing placing another AV on, not the member's main OS. That was not the topic of the discussion, the member's VM (a second OS) was. The member also stated that there were problems getting the main AV to install within the VM. Lastly, you can't place all of your protection under one roof. There are many companies that claim exactly what you're saying, they cover everything. This is false, no single AV is perfect 100% of the time, if it were, everyone would have the product, assuming that is true. All of the AV companies makes this claim. You need a reliable second "on demand" scanner to catch what the other misses. The member even in the first post suggested this, it was not my original suggestion, go back and read the first post in the thread. Finally, where were you when the member was seeking help? This is an open forum, we are not paid for what we do, it is out of the goodness of our hearts that we give advice. Sometimes it's not perfect, sometimes it is. I strive to the very best of my ability to give sound advice, but I'm not a paid technician, nor a computer programmer, I give advice based upon real life experience. Putting all of your security in one basket is like putting all of your life savings in one account, one day, you'll get burned. Don't believe me? Ask Bernie's victims, they were thrown the same sales pitch you're throwing. "In me you trust". I rest my case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
catilley1092. I am quite sure you would not advise two AVs running together and that you give your best advice.

During my 11 years of supporting users with their Internet security I too am speaking from experience. Unfortunately I have witnessed users install malware programmes that over time are enhanced to the degree that at some point they conflict with a main stream Internet Security package. Over those years I have found a number of total security packages fail, Norton being one in past years, much better now. Avast recently has caused sufficient problems for a national non profit to abandon it.
Over the 11 years of experience with over 50 users of Kaspersky, none have been burned as you declare. I agree entirely that nothing is 100% perfect, but some come very close.
It is appropriate that both our experinces should be on the forum.

For viewer benefit this link defines th difference between Kaspersky Internet Security and their AV package: http://www.kaspersky.com/au/compare

This link is useful to understand the depth and breadth that Kaspersky cover on their Viruslist site: http://www.viruslist.com/en/

I have just joined the forum today and as yet do not have the experience with Windows 7 XP mode to give credible advice.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The XP Mode package mentioned above, I don't have any experience with, either. The package was distributed by Microsoft mainly for business customers. You have to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate (with qualifying hardware) to run it. The majority of Windows 7 users are using the Home Premium version, therefore, we have to find a suitable VM player and a OS to install inside of it. I have 4 of them containing 9 OS's total. I would like to have Windows Virtual PC as described above, my hardware will run it, but I need a Pro OS to run it. But anyway, where I was coming from is, the VM is entirely a different install, a PC within a PC, with it's own programs and AV's. You do have to install an AV within any VM that you run. The VM is powered by the "host" OS, and you can install the AV of your choice within it. That is what I meant. That is not mixing AV programs, since it's (the VM) contained in a "virtual" disk, not like a regular install. With a couple of clicks, the VM and the OS & the programs within it can be deleted. It's that simple, 8 to 10GB of data gone in a couple of clicks, and unrecoverable by any means. That's part of the beauty of the whole thing, no partitions to be made, you can experiment with different OS's, and the best is you can get rid of it all as easy as tossing a can in the trash. The AV that is within the VM has no access to anything outside of the VM, except any hardware that the VM is running (DVD, printer, etc.). It can't scan the entire computer. However, being that you're running an aging OS within it, you do need a quality AV. I have zero experience with Kaspersky, that's why I can't vouch for it. I have nothing against it, either. But I've never paid the AV industry a cent in my lifetime, and as long as there are quality free ones, I'll use them. I pay for my OS, but as far as any other software goes, I research and find the best of the free ones that I can. This doesn't mean I'll install every piece of trash on the market on my computers, I'm selective about what I install. This is the reason that I have a couple of "on demand" scanners that is reliable. Plus, Microsoft downloads us a new scanner every month. Click Start, type "mrt" w/o the quotes, there's another scanner for you. I've had very few infections in the last few years. I've had to trash AV's myself for being unreliable. But you are right, there's enough room for both of our opinions here, and I'm open to ideas of others, as well as mine. However, I don't put my security in one basket, never have and never will. This is enough on this topic for today. Welcome to the forum, David! Hope you enjoy your stay here, this is a great forum here, and a great place to learn, share ideas and help others.

Reaction score
OK guys back to the original post.

Does anyone know why installing "Kaspersky Internet Security" in XP Mode would sense the install on the Host Machine?

We all know that XP Mode is different from all the other Virtualization Programs. Once setup, everything installed in XP Mode should work seemlessly as if it was installed on the Host. Is XP Mode integrated to an extent that it can see what is installed on the Host? This would be the only reason I can see that it will not install on the guest OS. If this is the case, I can not see why a install of "Kaspersky Internet Security" would need to be installed on the Guest.

Reaction score
Catilley1092. Thanks for your informative reply.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium like most it would seem, so I have opted for dual boot with a data partition accessed by both op systems.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was this morning looking the Microsoft site regarding Windows Virtual PC, and there was a comparison with Virtual PC 2007. It appears that there is more file sharing between the host and guest from the host's desktop. It doesn't mention a specific program, such as an AV, but there is file sharing. Perhaps a call to Microsoft by the OP would verify this.

Reaction score
Can I come back to you all and give you all a bit more info. I first installed Kaspersky on my Windows 7 with no problems. When I opened my VM and XP Mode the icon for antivirus had the cross in it and said I had no Anti Virus installed. This then gives the illusion that it has not accessed the install of Kaspersky from the Windows 7 OS. This is when I tried to install a 2nd licence of Kaspersky onto it. I did it from within the XP Mode and it was when selecting the install option I got the message it was already installed although it was not listed in the program menu on XPM.
I have installed Avast Free and Malawarebytes onto XPM from within it and they seem to be running ok alongside Kaspersky in Windows 7.
I tried a little experiment, I downloaded Malawarebytes into Win 7 as well and then uninstalled it to see whether it would still work in the XPM and it does.
I have something called Homegroup on my computer, is this common to all versions of Windows 7 as it seems to have capabilites of sharing programs but I have not made alterations to it.
Could it just be that Kaspersky Internet Suite 2010 is just very smart?
I wonder if there is any way I can get the XPM to share the Win 7 install or would that be too much of a security risk?
Now that mention of multiple security programs has come up I am now worried that I am doing the right thing. Perhaps it is worth me asking Kaspersky about this?
What perplexes me is that if XPM is a completely different OS then why does my computer pick up that Kaspersky is already installed?

Reaction score
Can I come back to you all and give you all a bit more info. I first installed Kaspersky on my Windows 7 with no problems. When I opened my VM and XP Mode the icon for antivirus had the cross in it and said I had no Anti Virus installed. This then gives the illusion that it has not accessed the install of Kaspersky from the Windows 7 OS. This is when I tried to install a 2nd licence of Kaspersky onto it. I did it from within the XP Mode and it was when selecting the install option I got the message it was already installed although it was not listed in the program menu on XPM.
I have installed Avast Free and Malawarebytes onto XPM from within it and they seem to be running ok alongside Kaspersky in Windows 7.
I tried a little experiment, I downloaded Malawarebytes into Win 7 as well and then uninstalled it to see whether it would still work in the XPM and it does.
I have something called Homegroup on my computer, is this common to all versions of Windows 7 as it seems to have capabilites of sharing programs but I have not made alterations to it.
Could it just be that Kaspersky Internet Suite 2010 is just very smart?
I wonder if there is any way I can get the XPM to share the Win 7 install or would that be too much of a security risk?
Now that mention of multiple security programs has come up I am now worried that I am doing the right thing. Perhaps it is worth me asking Kaspersky about this?
What perplexes me is that if XPM is a completely different OS then why does my computer pick up that Kaspersky is already installed?
It does seem that you need to put problem to Kaspersky. Are you able to get a good support response?

From your description it does appear that there is some link between the two OSs in that the Kaspersky icon appeared without an install into XP mode. This does suggest that there is a sharing of registry values. Again check this with Kaspersky support.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That would be my suggestion too. You are a paid subscriber to Kaspersky, if they have good customer support, they should know about these things. As much as I would like to do so, at the current time I don't have the cash to spend on Pro for my desktop to test the product. I have done some researching on your issue, in fact over an hour, but couldn't find a definite answer for you. There is sharing, but as to the extent, I don't know, not having my hands on it. This is a business product designed to help one migrate from XP to 7. Between Kaspersky and Microsoft, one or both most likely has the answer to your issue. Please keep us posted on any progress you're making, I do hope that you get your program going the way you want soon.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes Kaspersky is quite smart and it's been giving quite a few Windows 7 users issues.

I would definitely contact Kaspersky support for some help on this one.

Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for your help to my question.
Kaspersky don't seem to make it particularly easy to contact their support, they like to direct you to their forum but I will have a go and I may also contact Microsoft as at the moment I can get free support from them and talk to a technician. I think I will try all just to see what answers I can get. I will come back to the forum when I have an answer.

Reaction score
I managed to contact Kaspersky support by e mail and they replied saying I should open my VM and download in XP Mode the latest version of Internet Security 2010 and then register it with my 3 user licence and not use the installaion CD as I had with the installation into Windows 7.
I did this and the program installed and registered without problem and I now have this running on both my VM and Windows 7.
I think I can now say this has been solved.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for your help to my question.
Kaspersky don't seem to make it particularly easy to contact their support, they like to direct you to their forum but I will have a go and I may also contact Microsoft as at the moment I can get free support from them and talk to a technician. I think I will try all just to see what answers I can get. I will come back to the forum when I have an answer.
It's a shame when you purchase a product (Kaspersky, in this example) and when you need help, you're directed to a forum. I have personally dealt with Microsoft on a couple of occasions, and although I had to wait my turn, my issues were resolved. Since Windows Virtual PC is their product, I'm sure they will assist you, Ancient Lady. I soon plan to move up to Pro myself, and use this product. Hopefully, you will get the assistance you need from Microsoft. Should you need any more assistance, feel free to post at anytime.

Ask a Question