I've downloaded a folding client, nothing seems to be happening

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What's the deal here, I've downloaded the program, created an ID, nothing seems to be happening.

Reaction score
What exactly have you done cat?

Which client did you choose? Was it a SMP2 client?

After downloading the SMP2 clients the installer will place all the files needed in a folder. You will need to work out of this folder. Before you get started foling there is an Install.bat you will need to run, this sets the Windows Login ID's and permissions for the client to run. Once the install.bat has been run, you should see two lines stating that a Multicore has been detected.

Please bare with me I can talk you through it. This is my first time explaining the clients to someone. I may forget certain details at first. The more I explain things the better I can prepare a detailed sequence to get started.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem.
I downloaded the software, entered my username and the group number and it continued on it's own. I checked on it a bit later, but it was still stuck on "0/250 completed".

What does that mean?

I downloaded and installed the standard client for windows.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
It can take 30 minutes or more to complete 1% depending on the work unit assigned and your hardware. The easiest way I know to check if things are working is to watch your processor usage through task manager or similar program.

I'm running a core2 quad @ 3.2GHz and 100% CPU usage for Folding. My current time per percentage is between 5 and 6 minutes

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What's happening on my XP laptop is this. There is a large molecule slowly moving around, and in the right hand corner where my icons are it says: CPU -F@H: Working (0/250). So I guess something is happening. I figured it best to use my laptop, as it's a single core, and the setup should be simple. Should I configure my anti-virus to ignore the program, to keep from possibly interfering with the program? Now, it says (2/250)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks!

Fire Cat

Hey, this is my 100th message! WOOT WOOT!
Congrats fire Cat Yahoo Yipee well done,cannot assist here I have only ever downloaded 1 folding client to overclock my old Xeon dual processors it worked well for a short while.
regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks!

Fire Cat

Hey, this is my 100th message! WOOT WOOT!
Congrats, Fire Cat! Doesn't take long, if you're an active member. Many comes around when first installing 7, because they have problems or have screwed up something. A few hangs around, a lot you only hear from when they have problems, and a few comes and goes. I chose to hang around, as I've always been an active member of a forum of the current OS that I'm using. Windows 7 & Mint are my main two, but I use 7 far more than Mint. I guess because Windows was all that I knew for so many years, and they're user friendly, I've stuck with them, for the most part.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's working, just give it more time. :)
You must have downloaded the GUI standard taskbar client. It takes a little while to get used to the way the clients works.
Yes, I decided to put this laptop to some use, so I downloaded and installed the suggested program. This laptop is only single core, so I figured it would be more simpler. All it does anymore anyway is collect dust, may as well put it to work.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys!
I had a question: my house is Beeing repaired, so there are a few powercuts. So can I pause it before the powercut and resume after?

By the way, yes I am the kind of member that sticks around. I've only been member one week, and I allready am an established member and I have been thanked 20 times...

Thanks,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Sure :), the client will create checkpoints. The time can be set from 3 to 30 minutes. The default value is 15 minutes between checkpoints. Stop the client at anytime and then you can start back from the checkpoint that was created.

However I have lost a WU from a power failure causing a corrupted checkpoint somehow. I have had two or three power failures but only one lost WU. The power failure must have happened during the creation of the checkpoint to corupt it. Anyway be sure to stop the client if you know the power will go off.

Ask a Question