Is it possible to download a legal ISO of Windows XP Home


Z

Zajac

If this is a Dell (and bought in the US) they will send
you one free disc for the original OS.
And most likely, SP3 included.
Hi Bob,
You and Bear were right on the money!

They sent me WinXP Professional with SP3 for free!

Here's a picture of what arrived yesterday:
http://i39.tinypic.com/33jl1c6.gif

It turns out that it's trivially EASY to get a new CDROM of
Windows XP professional, from just a single telephone call!

Thanks everyone!

Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Wolf K

On 2013-08-20 6:01 PM, Zajac wrote:
[...]
Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).

HTH
 
F

FromTheRafters

On 2013-08-20 6:01 PM, Zajac wrote:
[...]
Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).
I don't know if it is or even was true, but I had heard that your key
determines which version gets installed from the disc.
 
W

...winston

That would be correct for Windows 7 retail disks since all versions of
Windows are included on media.
- the product key determines the version and type (full/upgrade)

Whether or not consistent (all versions included) for OEM provided
media....someone with that media will have to explore their media and report
the results.

--
....winston
msft mvp consumer apps

"FromTheRafters" wrote in message

On 2013-08-20 6:01 PM, Zajac wrote:
[...]
Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).
I don't know if it is or even was true, but I had heard that your key
determines which version gets installed from the disc.
 
Z

Zajac

Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).
I don't even know what "media center" is, but, I use the classic
freeware for videos, "Windows Media Classic", which works just fine
for what I need.
 
Z

Zajac

I don't know if it is or even was true, but I had heard that your key
determines which version gets installed from the disc.
Dell Support told me that I didn't need a key and that the
disc would generate their own key when it is installed.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Z

Zajac

Whether or not consistent (all versions included) for OEM provided
media....someone with that media will have to explore their media and report
the results.
The media disc clearly says Windows XP Professional, and, the
Dell support folks told me I didn't need a key ... that the
disk would generate its own key.

Someone familiar with Dell installation disks would know
better than I though ...
 
T

Timothy Daniels

My Dell reinstallation DVD, ordered for 64-bit Win7 Pro this past Spring,
contains Media Center.

*TimDaniels*

...winston said:
That would be correct for Windows 7 retail disks since all versions of
Windows are included on media.
- the product key determines the version and type (full/upgrade)

Whether or not consistent (all versions included) for OEM provided
media....someone with that media will have to explore their media and report
the results.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

On 2013-08-20 6:01 PM, Zajac wrote:
[...]
Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).
I don't know if it is or even was true, but I had heard that your key
determines which version gets installed from the disc.
 
P

Paul

Zajac said:
Dell Support told me that I didn't need a key and that the
disc would generate their own key when it is installed.
If it's a Dell disc, being installed on a Dell PC, the
BIOS SLIC table provides authentication for activation.
It will activate without a problem.

If you tried to install the Dell disk on a non-Dell computer,
the BIOS would not have the correct SLIC table, and so
there would be a problem activating it. The OS would
contact the Microsoft activation server. And the key
information would indicate it was a Dell disk being
used for other than its intended purpose.

There are some discs, which it is claimed, will work
on anything. But we haven't had any posters here,
back up those claims by buying said discs from Ebay :)
These may have been Fujitsu OEM discs. I don't know
any details on this.

The difference between Home and Pro, is Pro supports
things like domains (good for corporate IT). And the
other difference is the number of processor sockets.

"Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors
regardless of the number of cores on the processor.

Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor."

That means you can use a dual socket motherboard with
WinXP Pro. Like one of these.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-817-Z03?$S640W$

Paul
 
M

mike

The media disc clearly says Windows XP Professional, and, the
Dell support folks told me I didn't need a key ... that the
disk would generate its own key.

Someone familiar with Dell installation disks would know
better than I though ...
I can tell you that a dell xp home disk will install xp home
on any dell hardware.
a dell xp pro disk will install pro on any dell computer.
Both will self-activate without an internet connection.
If I remember correctly, a dell disk installed on a non-dell
computer will ask for a key and require online/or phone activation.
Not sure which versions of keys work. OEM? retail? other?
The keys I had at the time didn't.
Had a gateway disk that worked the same way on gateways.

I'm told that there exist disks that spoof the hardware info
and install on anything...but I've no idea where to get one.

Had a gateway disk that worked the same way on gateways.
 
A

Anonymous

....winston said:
That would be correct for Windows 7 retail disks since all versions of
Windows are included on media.
- the product key determines the version and type (full/upgrade)

Hello ...winston :)

That sounds like a very plausible answer.

How are things at Annexcafe User2User nowadays?
 
Ad

Advertisements

H

hummingbird

Hi Bob,
You and Bear were right on the money!

They sent me WinXP Professional with SP3 for free!

Here's a picture of what arrived yesterday:
http://i39.tinypic.com/33jl1c6.gif

It turns out that it's trivially EASY to get a new CDROM of
Windows XP professional, from just a single telephone call!

Thanks everyone!

Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?
Keep the faith. Yer get the best advice in this group. Especially from me
and Bear.


hb
 
D

Dave

The difference between Home and Pro, is Pro supports things like domains
(good for corporate IT). And the other difference is the number of
processor sockets.

"Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors
regardless of the number of cores on the processor.

Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor."

That means you can use a dual socket motherboard with WinXP Pro. Like
one of these.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-817-Z03?$S640W$

Paul
I think also Professional comes with Virtual PC. However, I find Oracle
VirtualBox works for more general use. I run the built in winxp in Virtual
PC, which I believe only runs MS stuff.
 
D

Dustin

Zajac said:
The media disc clearly says Windows XP Professional, and, the
Dell support folks told me I didn't need a key ... that the
disk would generate its own key.
It's not generating it's own key. it's bios locked via a text string to your
Dell. You won't even be asked to enter a key.
Someone familiar with Dell installation disks would know
better than I though ...
The disc has four modified (as in, they are different than a real oem/vlk
disc) bin files on it. These tag it to your Dell.
 
D

Dustin

mike said:
I can tell you that a dell xp home disk will install xp home
on any dell hardware.
a dell xp pro disk will install pro on any dell computer.
Both will self-activate without an internet connection.
If I remember correctly, a dell disk installed on a non-dell
computer will ask for a key and require online/or phone activation.
Not sure which versions of keys work. OEM? retail? other?
OEM works. They're modified OEM installs. they'll accept any OEM key if you
load them on a non keyed system. (BIOS tagged I mean)
The keys I had at the time didn't.
Had a gateway disk that worked the same way on gateways.

I'm told that there exist disks that spoof the hardware info
and install on anything...but I've no idea where to get one.
Yes, you swap out four bin files to tag it to whatever name brand your
heading for. :)
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

...winston

Timothy said:
My Dell reinstallation DVD, ordered for 64-bit Win7 Pro this past Spring,
contains Media Center.

*TimDaniels*

...winston said:
That would be correct for Windows 7 retail disks since all versions of
Windows are included on media.
- the product key determines the version and type (full/upgrade)

Whether or not consistent (all versions included) for OEM provided
media....someone with that media will have to explore their media and
report the results.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

On 2013-08-20 6:01 PM, Zajac wrote:
[...]
Note: I asked for Windows XP Home though, but they sent Pro.
Do you think that will matter?

Shouldn't, but check whether it includes Media Center (if that matters
to you).
I don't know if it is or even was true, but I had heard that your key
determines which version gets installed from the disc.
Windows Media Center is included on all versions of XP Media Center
editions, Vista Home Premium and Ultimate (not Business), all editions
of Windows 7 except Start and Home Basic, and is available as a 'Add
Feature' only on Windows 8 Professional (not Windows 8 or Enterprise)

Afaik, OEM's abide by the above constraints for their pre-installed
versions.
 
W

...winston

Anonymous said:
Hello ...winston :)

That sounds like a very plausible answer.

How are things at Annexcafe User2User nowadays?
Depends on who is asking <g>

...w
 
W

...winston

Dave said:
I think also Professional comes with Virtual PC. However, I find Oracle
VirtualBox works for more general use. I run the built in winxp in Virtual
PC, which I believe only runs MS stuff.
Normally one downloads and installs XP Mode and Virtual PC, then sets up
XP Mode for use and if desired additional program installation including
updating Windows to the latest available program and security updates
(well over 100 recommended and optional items post XPSp3).

...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Anonymous

....winston said:
Depends on who is asking <g>

...w
That shouldn't, really, make any difference! <G>

I'm aware that Mr Gooden passed on the cost of running the facility to
'Ishie' (now a qualified doctor by all accounts) but that she had to
relinquish her responsibility when she lost almost everything she owned
in a house fire a while back.

Just a simple query - who is currently funding the running of the
Annexcafe newsgroups?
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top