Internet TV just popped up - is it for real?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I noticed a funny icon a minute ago on my desktop, I clicked onto it, now I have internet TV. Was it just me, or did it effect others, too? I've had Windows 7 for months now, and just now was offered this. On the upper right hand of my screen, there's a rectangular shaped box with TV shows and sports, etc. But it looks like mostly CBS stuff. Is this a new feature, or what?

Reaction score
What have you installed lately?
New Browsers or Chat Clients will add things like that to your desktop.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The only thing that I've installed lately was the high performance folding client. No browsers, no anything. I don't put a bunch of mess on my desktop, anyway. If I were to play around, it would be with my laptop. I tried to bring up the same program on my laptop, it appears to be a part of Windows Media Center. Because now there's a main entry in the Start Menu for it, you go to it, it says "internet TV" & "program guide". But like I said, all that I noticed was a new icon beside the white flag, I clicked onto it, there was the offer to install internet TV, I agreed and it installed. There's a small Windows symbol in the right corner, and the interface keeps switching from Movies, Sports, Drama, CBS Primetime, CBS Classic, News, Comedy. This is new to me. However, I tried to install the same program on my laptop afterwards, no go. Said I need a TV tuner. I didn't know I had one on here. Well, I guess I do now.

Reaction score
Windows Live Essentials suite beta Wave 4 has new features Might be what you have seen as they have included face recogonition,new windows Live movie maker my icon for media center I was Just on my Media centre & a small TV device screen NO CBS stuff openned and yes I seem to have Live TV so somethings happenig but I am lost dont know what it is but somehow I think I will email mary Jo & get back to you members.

regards
jeffreyobrien

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do recall that with my TechNet subscription, something was mentioned about Windows Media Center. But I didn't pay it any mind, I do watch a lot of news clips, I'll get to see the CBS Evening News now, if I want.

Reaction score
Internet TV just popped up - is it for real

I noticed a funny icon a minute ago on my desktop, I clicked onto it, now I have internet TV. Was it just me, or did it effect others, too? I've had Windows 7 for months now, and just now was offered this. On the upper right hand of my screen, there's a rectangular shaped box with TV shows and sports, etc. But it looks like mostly CBS stuff. Is this a new feature, or what?
Just wondering if you downloaded by ? of one of the media center desktop gadgets IMDB will give movies,videos Catilley does the computer have a TV tuner card or USB device plugged into it.I do realise that its a silly question but hey I once installed an Nvida Riva tuner driver which did make my 878 TV card come alive & I never even knew it was inside it was in days of win Me.I emailed Mary Jo & asked her if it is something to do with their(M$)new beta of Windows live essentials.
I will keep looking for you let me know if you solve it as I am all ears now!
regards
Jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I did a short scan with MSE & Malwarebytes for any problems there, but none showed up. It is a function of the Windows Media Center, but why did it wait for six and a half months to offer it to me? I was at one time considering buying a TV Tuner for this desktop, but I guess I don't need to now.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use the Windows Media Center to watch DVDs but not messed with the TV portion of it.

I just may check it out.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
It is one of the features of Windows Media Center. For TV, you have two options, the tuner or internet tv, which is things like Netflix. Though, you must be suscribed to it, so that may be what you saw on TechNet.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have confirmed that it is the Windows Media Center, there where you get to show hidden icons, WMC is there, where it wasn't before. But, why just my computer so far? I'm wondering if mabye it's a part of how the TechNet software works, since there was a mention of the program. Perhaps checking out my IP address to make sure that it stays here?

Reaction score
It's part of Media Center

It's part of Windows Media Center. It will ask you if you want to install the desktop gadget. It may also be that you never full setup Media Center. Media Center has to download the Internet TV portion of Media Center. I don't know why Microsoft didn't setup Windows 7 to automatically install that component with the rest of the Windows 7 installation. Just like I've heard that Games don't automatically installed in Windows 7 Professional. You have to go to Control Panel, Programs & Features, Windows Components and put check mark next to Games. These are a few things they should've changed to make it easier on people.
The only thing that I've installed lately was the high performance folding client. No browsers, no anything. I don't put a bunch of mess on my desktop, anyway. If I were to play around, it would be with my laptop. I tried to bring up the same program on my laptop, it appears to be a part of Windows Media Center. Because now there's a main entry in the Start Menu for it, you go to it, it says "internet TV" & "program guide". But like I said, all that I noticed was a new icon beside the white flag, I clicked onto it, there was the offer to install internet TV, I agreed and it installed. There's a small Windows symbol in the right corner, and the interface keeps switching from Movies, Sports, Drama, CBS Primetime, CBS Classic, News, Comedy. This is new to me. However, I tried to install the same program on my laptop afterwards, no go. Said I need a TV tuner. I didn't know I had one on here. Well, I guess I do now.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
cat TV Tuner and Internet TV are not the same. However, if you are satisfied with Internet TV, you wouldn't need a TV Tuner which by the way uses your Local Cable TV or Over The Air (OTA) broadcasting for a signal.
That's one thing that I know very little about, is internet TV. A while back, I bought a product (a driver disc for my laptop on eBay), and there was a free bonus. When I received the package, internet TV was my free gift for making a purchase with the seller. I sat it up according to the instructions, VLC Media Player was their preferred player. BTW, this was on my laptop, back last August or so. There were 3,000 adult movies in the deal. But besides setting up everything, I did nothing with the app. Shortly afterwards, I formatted the entire drive and installed three fresh OS's (Win 2K, XP Pro & Linux Mint 8). I had forgotten about the TV app altogether, until just now.

Reaction score
I do recall that with my TechNet subscription, something was mentioned about Windows Media Center. But I didn't pay it any mind, I do watch a lot of news clips, I'll get to see the CBS Evening News now, if I want.
In the Windows 7 version of Windows Media Center, the enhanced Internet TV lets you watch videos from a variety of providers via the Internet right in Windows Media Center. In this edition of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 Report, Greg Shultz investigates the Windows 7 Windows Media Center's Internet TV component.
This download is also available as an entry in the TechRepublic Microsoft Windows Blog. Internet TV wont work unless its inside your browser or is this media Center's Internet component. It's one or the other cat I have it running now it is great with CBS so its not streaming from local TV stations in Australia I am receiving only US then I get HDMI Digital TV.Hope its what you wanted.

regards
jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The pictures that were illustrated in your link was what I received, but how it came to be is what I don't understand. Like I said, an icon was there last night, now I know it was the WMC symbol. But I did nothing to bring the icon on here. In fact, I was answering a forum post at the time, I guess it was my lucky day. Now I can see all kinds of TV shows, any time I want.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
3000 adult movies X avg 40min each ... Wow Cat, when do you find time to read the forums, LOL

There is a quote something like ... "I could never understand why they make adult films longer than 10 minutes" but I couldn't find the exact quote or who said it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I really don't care to watch skin flicks, I found that making them was always better.:D It was a bonus app that came with what I ordered, I took the time to setup the player (for some reason they preferred the VLC player instead of WMP, which I like), then just forgot about it. Actually, I set it up to watch pro wrestling with. I get "bonus discs" of all sorts with and without orders, I just threw away a sack of them a month ago. If I had all of the various software discs that I've ever gotten, they would probably fill a entire drawer where I store my clothes at.

This forum is far more interesting than those movies are to me. I've learned a lot here, the movies are a waste of my time.

Ask a Question