Internet Slow

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. After I first installed it, everything was fine. Over time, I began to see download speeds decrease dramatically. At first, it was spotty, and then all of the time. Download speed dropped 90%! I called ATT and they came out, checked a few things out, replaced cables, and confirmed that I was getting full download speed to my computer, but my computer was knocking down the speed somehow. I have a unique feature with my motherboard, I can access the internet without loading the operating system. That way, I get full download speed, but once I load the operating system, I'm back down to 10%. I finally reinstalled Windows 7 and everything was fine again. However, I am now seeing the first step again where things are slowing down on a spotty basis; soon it will be all the time. Please help. The time from Windows 7 installation to noticing degradation is a few weeks.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Jerry and welcome

You may find its not Windows 7 OS at default that is slowing your connection speed more likely your apps or browser settings, do you use a 3rd party firewall ? try changing your AntiVirus / Malware apps etc. You could try turning all off then starting one at a time checking your Internet speed after each app is started.

Reaction score
Hi Jerry120 - Welcome to w7forums

Do you use anything such as CCleaner to periodically clean your computer?

If you don't periodically clean your computer, it will eventually slow down. I must admit though, a few weeks is rather quick.

I installed AVG Free once and noticed a slow down like the one you are experiencing. Have you installed any software that could be causing this issue?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
AVG Free can most definitely slow your computer's speed. My mother-in-law called me and asked me to come look at her computer because it was slow. The first thing I noticed was that she had AVG. So with her permission, I used Revo Uninstaller to completely remove AVG. Then I loaded MSE & Malwarebytes onto it. Malwarebytes found so much garbage, it was unreal. I had her to scan again, and everything was clean. The same with MSE, all was clean, and her web browsing and download speeds nearly doubled. Well, she was finally getting what she was paying for. I don't tell anyone what AV to run anymore, as the thread will only turn into this AV is better than that one. But it's best to have one with real time protection, and have a separate malware scanner to run on demand (at least once monthly). And as Clifford stated, CCleaner works wonders, and costs nothing. You would be surprised at the amount of accumulated junk that builds up, and it does slow your computer. Give these things a try, if you see no difference afterwards, post back and let us know, there may be something else. One other thing, are you defragging your computer regularly? This can make a difference, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have to fully agree with the others. You said this happens over the course of a few weeks. Without a quality firewall and antivirus, you can pick up a lot of really bad stuff in that time. The fact that reinstalling the OS temporarily got rid of the problem indicates you got rid of the garbage your computer had collected, but you may just pick it all up again.

If you do not have a good security system, thats most likely the problem. If you do have a security system in place, I would question whether it's doing it's job adequately.

Reaction score
Veedaz

Thank you for your quick response.

I did try that. As I mentioned, I had this problem once, reinstalled Windows 7 and the problem disappeared for awhile. With this reinstallation, I used Speakeasy Speed Test to check the effect of each application. I installed the application, used it, and reran Speed Test. Everything was fine with every application, but then after a few weeks I noticed the same behavior spottily and now it's slow all the time. In a day it went from spottily slow, to consistently slow with a drop to only 10% of the prior download speed. Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
clifford_cooley

I don't have AVGFree, but I first use the Internet Options cleanup (cookies, temporary files, etc.), then I use McAfee cleanup (always finds more than Internet Options), and then I use Evidence Eliminator (strange name, but it always finds a ton of stuff the others don't). I uninstalled Evidence Eliminator, and see no difference in performance. I'm reluctant to unistall McAfee, although I have turned off the firewall (no difference), and turned off the antivirus protection (no difference). Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
catilley1092

Thank you for your rapid response.

I don't have AVGFree. I will try MSE, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner. Although I can say that with the combination of Internet Options cleaner, McAfee, and Evidence Eliminator a ton of stuff is removed, but I have never noticed a differnce in performance before and after.

Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Dallas Dad

I have McAfee AV, Spyware Doctor, and use Registry Mechanic, along with Evidence Eliminator. I found these all to be quite effective and problem free with XP for several years. It's only when I switched to Windows 7, with the same applications, that I have experienced this problem.

Any other thoughts?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just a little test - try power cycling your Router (power down the PC then turn off the Router, disconnect all Router cables wait 60 seconds reconnect all cables turn on the Router and wait for the LEDs to settle then boot your PC and try your download speed).

Reaction score
Veedaz

Thank you again for your response.

I tried your suggestion. I got full download speed for about a minute, and then it reverted back to only 10% of that speed. I don't know how to interpret that.

I spent a good part of the day running virus scans, disabling startup programs, following up on Windows 7 troubleshooting hints, updating the ethernet controller drivers, etc. Nothing helps. Extremely frustrating, but I would like to try any other ideas you might have.

I read elsewhere about an IvP6 versus IvP4 issue exhibiting similar behavior, but I don't even know what that means. Someone else said they took out the extra (greater than 2 GB) RAM and that solved a similar problem; I haven't tried that one yet. I have 6 GB Corsair Dominator and I would hate to throw it away.

Anyway, please provide any other thoughts you might have.

Thank you.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I doubt it is anything in the computer software. But can you give some more information. Are you hardwired or wireless?- I assume hardwired, as you refer to your ethernet adapter.?
Your last post is significant. It looks like your router may be badly configured and is bottlenecking the data. What make is it? Perhaps we can look at your router setup and advise??

P.S. Almost missed one point. What is the "unique" feature that allows you to connect without an OS. How do you then go about using the internet? Could be significant.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I was thinking the Router may need a reset (back to default) and as Dave says can you give the Router make and number.

Reaction score
Solved!

I think I may have identified the culprit. Time will tell. I ran msconfig.exe, disabled all of the non-Microsoft services, and then enabled the non-Microsoft services one by one, testing each addition with Speakeasy speed test. McAfee Firewall appears to be the problem. I enabled everything but McAfee Firewall and have been running for about a day, with full download speed continuously. I notified McAfee, but haven't received a reply yet. With McAfee Firewall down, I use Windows Defender Firewall instead.

This surprises me, because I turned the firewall off before, using the McAfee Service Center, and did not see an improvement. Somehow, stopping it in the system configuration tab does something more and solves the problem.

Thank you all for all of your support!

By the way, I installed CCleaner. I like it. Fast. I'm going to compare it to my other options; maybe I can eliminate the others and just use CCleaner. We'll see.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well done M8. I hope you have got to the bottom of the problem. Fwiw. If you are running a router, most have a firewall. - No need for two.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
These optional "firewalls" are something that I could never figure out. What's wrong with the default one that comes with Windows? It has never given me problems. If I had to have Fort Knox security, I may would use one. But otherwise, the Windows Firewall has served me fine.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
These optional "firewalls" are something that I could never figure out. What's wrong with the default one that comes with Windows? It has never given me problems. If I had to have Fort Knox security, I may would use one. But otherwise, the Windows Firewall has served me fine.
Absolutely correct, catilley. The only reason I use my router firewall, in preference to the built in one, is that, as the Administrator of my domestic, and tiny, Lan, I then have standard customised settings for all.

Ask a Question