I'm trying to setup my PC as a Webserver.

Reaction score
This is what I have gotten so far.

1. DHCP on Router is setup for the first 20 IP's and Static IP addresses for all the PC's.
  2. Port 80 forwarded (TCP) to the Internal IP(192.168.222.222) for the PC being setup as the Web-server.
  3. DynDNS.com free host-name - "cliffordcooley.dyndns-home.com"
  4. IIS7 setup on my Windows 7 machine with binding to the Host Name and port 80.

Additional notes: I am connected through a Wireless Router if that makes any difference.

Reading this page - http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/16/how-do-i-access-my-device-from-outside-my-home-network

Summary

There are 5 general steps:

1. Configure a device on your network (that is always on) to update your DynDNS host-name with your IP address. DynDNS publish a list of approved clients that you should consult.
  2. Configure the device you want to forward traffic to with either a static IP address, or a static DHCP lease. This ensures that the time spent configuring the router (in a moment) isn't wasted if/when the IP on your device changes.
  3. Test the device from your LAN.
  4. Configure your router to forward traffic to your device. How you do this depends on your router, and what you want to access. Fortunately there is a web site that publishes guides.
  5. Test your setup from outside your LAN.
It would seem I am unable to complete step 3, I can not connect to the web-server from another local PC by typing in the Internal IP for my web-server.

If anyone (must be a regular member) would like to take a look and see for themselves what the problem maybe, I would be happy to load Join.me and let you look around.

I've been reading pages after pages looking for clues to my problem and I still don't understand allot of what I see in the network settings.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I do this all the time for showing projects I'm working on localy, to other people.
The way I do it:
1. I have Apache running on port 80 on my netbook
2. I have port forwarding in my router enabled sending all traffic to port 80 to port 80 on my machine
3. I have a domain attached to my IP adress

If you have a static IP, I suggest you do this :) Get a subdomain on co.cc and have it point to your IP adress. Oh, and use Apache - it's dead simple to get working. Good luck! Tell me if you need any more help :p If you want help through join.me, sure. Just tomorrow :p

What kind of things will you be using it for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If my current route doesn't pan out first.
The way I do it:
1. I have Apache running on port 80 on my netbook
2. I have port forwarding in my router enabled sending all traffic to port 80 to port 80 on my machine
3. I have a domain attached to my IP adress
Apache as in? - http://httpd.apache.org/
There is dozens of projects by apache
What kind of things will you be using it for?
For now something simple that could grow to something bigger in the future.
Later on I may also need an FTP connection for remote access.

I am also thinking of a small forum for local based audience. Possibly live video broadcast in the future.

First I need to get the appropriate connections. I have no where near fast bandwidth, so for now I'm simply get started to see what is needed in the future.

This is my first project:
Someone else is hosting the image below for me. I want to host my own projects.
Below is a PHP file with a PNG extension. The server is setup to parse the PNG as a PHP. This allows for a PHP code to run when any website calls for a PNG image. The purpose is to add text to the image that is periodically updated from an XML upload. If you reload the image, the image will also change colors.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Right. Yes, I'm talking about that Apache :)
Um... Maybe something better would be an EC2 instance. It's a free VPS for a whole year. And pretty easy to setup.
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2

It's what I use for Twaddlr. Running MySQL and loads of scripts localy on a home computer (that's in use everyday) isn't really a great idea. When I used to run Software ISO, it was on it's own independent box, but as you could have noticed, there was still the speed problem.

For the image thing... That's really easy to do with Apache :) You'll just need to have some png headers in your php file, and some basic URL rewritting to make it have an image extension (mire efficient than having an image file run as a php file)

Last edited:

Ask a Question