IE9

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The installation of SP1 does speed up Windows 7 somewhat. The system is more responsive and snappier.

Regarding IE9, I think it is faster than Firefox and renders web pages much faster than before. I wish there was an ad-blocking app for the new IE9 though and also availability of more add-ons and tweaks such as Firefox now possesses.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I wish there was an ad-blocking app for the new IE9
It does have a very good popup blocker and a phishing filter. And SimpleAdBlock works fine with IE9.

As far as add-ons and tweaks, I really have not found anything lacking I need, except a real-time spell checker. But IE7Pro fills that need nicely, and IESpell works too, but of course, that is not real time.

Reaction score
Hello~

There is another spell checker available that I happened to come across on another form its called Speckie.

It works quite well and is also free. Might be something to also consider putting in the free-ware database here. It doesn't seem to have too bad (if any) ill effect on the operation of IE9.

I did try it originally with IE * and the installation seems to "hang up" but in IE 9 it went flawessly.

The site itself that I listed doesn't have a lot of information on it other that a short overview of the program as well as a download link that allows you to pick out of 3 separate downloads. I used the "unified installer" which installs and/or makes the choice for you as to which version it will install on your system.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :)
~Lonewolf/Jeff

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check it out. I admit, I have been unhappy the folks at IE7Pro have not don't much with it since IE7.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm, I could not get it to install correctly. It cannot register a dll. Might try it on another machine and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hmmm, I could not get it to install correctly. It cannot register a dll. Might try it on another machine and see what happens.
Try the "unified" installer.. and also make sure you have IE CLOSED when you try to do it :)

~LoneWolf

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I tried the 64-bit version first and when that didn't go, I uninstalled it and tried the unified version. Same error. And yes, IE was closed.

I'll try it on one of my "generic" Windows 7 IE9 systems when I get a chance and see if it works. If it does, then I know it is likely a security setting on my main machine.

When I don't know something about a product, I always punch in the product name and the word "review" into Google and see what has been said about the product. Unfortunately, I can find virtually nothing on Speckie. :( The download scanned clean with MBAM and MSE so I have no fears of maliciousness. I see they have forum so I might check over there.

Reaction score
Digerati~

I didnt acctually notice there was a forum for the software until you mentioned it ... its a little "hidden" with the link for the creator..

I can give you the site that i got it from though .. its Neowin.net

Unfortunately, you MAY not be able to do a search for it unless you are a member of the forum :(

To be honest I have been a member there for quite a while .. and there are very few(if any ) programs that i have used that came from them that have not worked that were recommended.

Let me know how things work out.
~LoneWolf

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It does have a very good popup blocker and a phishing filter. And SimpleAdBlock works fine with IE9.

As far as add-ons and tweaks, I really have not found anything lacking I need, except a real-time spell checker. But IE7Pro fills that need nicely, and IESpell works too, but of course, that is not real time.
Thanks Digerati, this ad blocker works quite well on 32 bit IE9 RC. I just installed IE9 RC onto Win 7 32 bit, then installed SimpleAdBlock, only one ad briefly appeared, then disappeared. Looks like an excellent app.

That was one thing about IE that I could not stop, regardless of the "pop-up" settings, the continuous ads appearing. Those ads makes the pages load slower, not to mention that they can contain malware or viruses for those who clicks onto them. Most of them are BS anyway.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check it out. I admit, I have been unhappy the folks at IE7Pro have not don't much with it since IE7.
At one time, support for IE7Pro was dropped, then was supported again, Mabye another developer rescued it.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, it failed on two 64-bit Win7 machines so I think there's a problem.

Reaction score
Well, it failed on two 64-bit Win7 machines so I think there's a problem.

Hummm

that sucks :(( sorry about that .. as i said I ddin't have any problems installing or running it here ..

Not sure what the problem could be :(

Figured Id suggest a good piece of software .. and look what happens :(

My Apologies..

If any one else has tried this however .. would be interesting to see what the results were .. positive or negative ..

Sorry again.
~LoneWolf

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Figured Id suggest a good piece of software .. and look what happens
My Apologies..
No, it seems like a good find. And according to the Neowin forums, others seem to like it too. The author is over there too so I posted in the thread and we'll see what happens.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hummm

that sucks :(( sorry about that .. as i said I ddin't have any problems installing or running it here ..

Not sure what the problem could be :(

Figured Id suggest a good piece of software .. and look what happens :(

My Apologies..

If any one else has tried this however .. would be interesting to see what the results were .. positive or negative ..

Sorry again.
~LoneWolf
It's working well for me, thanks a lot, LoneWolf. That's one thing that many of us need, it's so easy to misspell words while typing. It also fills another gap in my conversion to IE9.

This would be a great app to include in the Free Software Database, if the final release of IE9 doesn't include a spell checker.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's working well for me, thanks a lot, LoneWolf. That's one thing that many of us need, it's so easy to misspell words while typing. It also fills another gap in my conversion to IE9.

This would be a great app to include in the Free Software Database, if the final release of IE9 doesn't include a spell checker.

Cat
Catilley~

Glad its working for you and your welcome for the suggestion. Always willing to help out when I can.
~LoneWolf

Ask a Question