IE9 in Windows 7 Home and Professional

lyb

Reaction score
I'm a programmer for our company and recently we noticed that there are some features that no longer work on the site when viewed in IE9. These features are run by jQuery (and jQuery on the site is the latest version).

If you were to go to http://lookingyourbest.com
Scroll down to see the Featured Doctors,
Click on any doctor,
Then click on "Email" it should bring up a form on an overlay.

Now, I installed Windows 7 on another computer (I use Linux) in order to run some testing. And out of the box, that feature worked, yet, on my boss's and co-worker's computers it did not. We check versions and settings, and everything is identical, until I noticed that on the computer where it is working, it's running Windows 7 HOME edition.

Everyone else is running Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL edition.

The consistency of the breakage is happening on the Professional edition boxes.

So, my question is, is there something in the Professional version of Windows 7 that would disallow jQuery from running on our website?

John

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You are of course welcome to post your question here but have you also tried the jquery forum HERE?

I don't know if anyone here uses JQuery but I guess we shall see.

lyb

Reaction score
I'll do that.

However, since it is working in ie9 on the Home version and not on the Professional version, I'm hoping that someone will know why.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
this is probably a redundant question, but are you sure all the instances of IE are 9 and not 8? I'm just asking because JQuery dropped support for IE8 during the summer, and IE8 comes as the default browser at least on my Windows 7 installations (Pro and Home Premium).

lyb

Reaction score
Yes, all installation we are talking about are ie9. We verified version numbers on all of them against the Home installation.

There was ONE computer we found with Professional installed with ie9 that would run the site properly and as expected.

So, maybe the question should change to, what setting in ie9 on Professional would prevent the site from preforming as expected?

Thanks!

John

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One difference I can think of between Home and Pro is Aero. I don't know how this could possibly affect JQuery but you could try turning that off in Pro; in themes simply choose W7 basic.

Multimedia is a big part from Home Premium on up so there are extra codecs etc but I don't know what you can do about that.
Microsoft has also added support for MPEG-2 Video and Dolby Digital Plus—but not in Windows Home Basic. That’s another difference between the two.
Source

And Homegroups can be created from Home Premium on up but I have no idea what that would change that could in any way affect IE.

Thinking out loud here ... IE9 didn't even ship with the original W7 DVD so it is an update to ALL W7 machines regardless of version.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Another off the wall suggestion, but are the Home "versions" of IE9 using Compatibility View by default? Does this make a difference if you turn it on in the Pro machine IE9?

lyb

Reaction score
Another off the wall suggestion, but are the Home "versions" of IE9 using Compatibility View by default? Does this make a difference if you turn it on in the Pro machine IE9?
Could you tell me where to find that?

lyb

Reaction score
NM, I found it.

Compatibility is disabled for this site, and I believe it is due to using this tag:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />

On an f12 press I see document mode as IE8 Standars, and browser mode as IE9

Ask a Question