SOLVED Google Chrome and IE9 display mostly placeholders instead of images

Reaction score
Dear Forum:

I have Win7 Professional x64 installed on my computer. Maybe 4 or 5 months ago I formatted the HDD partitions of my computer and then installed Win7 Pro again (on C) and things were just fine for quite a while.

But for several weeks now the two browsers I use, i.e. Google Chrome and IE9, have mostly been showing placeholders instead of images (e.g. the IMDB.com website, please see screenshot).

A while ago I uninstalled and then reinstalled both browsers and things were fine again but only for one day :(. Software like Silverlight, etc. is installed and the AV and malware software on my machine (G-Data Security 2014, Super Antispyware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) hasn't found anything that could maybe explain this.

The problem is rather annoying and I haven't got a clue how fix this. I'm sorry but right now I can't really think of any additional helpful info to include.

Many thanks :).

Gambatte

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't use Chrome, but my suggestions would be"

What happens if you refresh the web page? Do the images come back?

What about Chrome add-ons? Anything blocking Ad's or even your AV or G-Data Security software?

Regards

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you go to Control Panel > Internet Options, click on the Advanced Tab and scroll down to the multimedia section. Make sure "Show Image Download Placeholders" is NOT checked.

InternetOptions-Advanced-Placeholders.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro and TrainableMan:

Many thanks for your replies :).

"Show image download placeholders" wasn't checked, reloading/refreshing pages doesn't help and neither does emptying the cash, etc. :(. Actually, I've got 2 PCs both of which have the same AV and anti-malware software installed. But I encounter the problems of the missing images only on one machine.

I also have AdFender installed on both computers. And just to make sure it's not the problem I turned AdFender off, then opened the IMDB webpage with still the same result: no images, just those pesky placeholders.

As for Chrome extensions/add-ons, there's only Google Docs 0.5 installed. Could that perhaps be the cause of the problem?

Would you perhaps have any additional suggestions with regards to fixing the problem? :)

Many thanks!

Gambatte

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not familiar with G-Data Security 2014. I only use Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes.

As a test I would uninstall G-Data Security 2014.
Reboot.
Try the IMDB webpage.

That way you will see if it was a setting in G-Data Security 2014 that is causing the issue.

Then re-install G-Data Security 2014.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro:

Thanks a lot for your reply :).

I did uninstall G Data Security 2014, rebooted and voilà, the images were back on the IMDB site (and I'm sure on other sites as well) :).

Right now, though, I'm installing AVG Internet Security. I'm a little afraid that once G Data has been installed again, the images will again be replaced by placeholders.

Strange, though, that this problem occurred on only one of my 2 computers.

Anyways, many thanks again for helping me solve this somewhat annoying issue :).

Gambatte

Shintaro

Reaction score
That's good that it has been solved, however you could go to the G Data forums and ask for an answer there.

Personally, I only run Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes anti-malware.

If you think all is good, then please mark the thread as solved.

Regards.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From your results it sounds like the issue is caused by G-Data and it is quite probable there are settings you can adjust so that their product is installed but your pictures appear. Check the G-data help or, as Shintaro mentioned, check with the G-Data online forums.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your input and feedback, much appreciated :).

Unfortunately, the placeholders did come back shortly after I'd posted my "success" note yesterday.

But... it seems it's none of the above but rather my darned ;) VPN (Virtual Private Network) that's causing the problem!

Turning the VPN off causes all the images on the IMDB website to come on like lights on a Christmas tree and turning it back on the placeholders to rear their ugly heads again ;)

I'll do the same experiment again tomorrow. And if the result is the same I'll mark the thread as solved.

Many thanks again.

Gambatte

Ask a Question