Idiots guide to custom installing Windows 7 64 bit

Reaction score
I am about to upgrade all of my Vista Home Premium pcs to Windows 7 64 bit and since it will be custom install there seems an opportunity to do it in the best possible way. I am hoping someone can advise on the rolls royce solution. This is what I plan so additions or corrections appreciated.

Before starting

1. Backup all my files to an external hardrive
  2. Download all Win7 64 bit drivers for all my hardware
  3. Locate all program installation discs or save the installation files to an external disc
  4. Where needed purchase software upgrades if current version not compatible with Win7
Upgrade

1. Insert Win7 Pro 64 bit disc in pc to be upgraded
  2. Choose "Custom Install"?? Is this what happens? Does this recognise the vista key then format the drive before installing win7?
  3. Should I partition the C drive so Win7 is in its own small space and then install all programs to a seperate partition? Previously I had all my programs on the c drive, but have read this is suboptimal? If so what size should I make the Win7 partition?
  4. Reinstall all programs and drivers
  5. I have a spare pc so can use thw in& Easy transfer software to transfer al lthe files/settings from each Vista pc to a freshly installed Win7 pc. if this doesn't work I have the files backed up on the external drive.
Network

1. I have 5 pcs on a LAN and use one like a file server so most documents are stored on this and other pcs use this.
  2. I have a orinter conencted to this main pc that the others access.
  3. I am assuming there is some simple way of creating a workgroup so all the pcs see each other across the LAN
  4. Is there anything I need ot do to ensure all the pcs can access read/write files on each other as understand permissioning in win7 is a black art?
Quite scared about compeltely knackering my whole family so appreciate a sanity check and advice on the various points!

Mike

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Upgrade

1. Insert Win7 Pro 64 bit disc in pc to be upgraded
  2. Choose "Custom Install"?? Is this what happens? Does this recognise the vista key then format the drive before installing win7?
  3. Should I partition the C drive so Win7 is in its own small space and then install all programs to a seperate partition? Previously I had all my programs on the c drive, but have read this is suboptimal? If so what size should I make the Win7 partition?
  4. Reinstall all programs and drivers
  5. I have a spare pc so can use thw in& Easy transfer software to transfer al lthe files/settings from each Vista pc to a freshly installed Win7 pc. if this doesn't work I have the files backed up on the external drive
So far it looks like your doing it right. A couple of minor exceptions though.

1. Set the computer so the DVD drive is the first to boot up and put the install disc in so it will boot up from the disk. You may see: "Press any key to boot from DVD" do that and the install disk will begin it's setup.

2. Don't install from Vista, cause you'll be doing an "upgrade" install and those have more issues than a clean or custom install.

3. I set a 64GB partition for my C drive and install to there, plus all my other programs too. You can do what you want to, but I have ALWAYS had problems when installing programs to another partition or hard drive.

MOST OF ALL DO A CLEAN INSTALL! Do Not Upgrade Install!

Ask a Question