Identifying What A Key Combo Executes

Reaction score
I have an app that enables and disables a function with each press of a key combo. I would like to create an icon and place it in the taskbar that performs this same function. Therefore, I would like to learn how to discover/identify/display/etc. the command that executes when I use the key combo.

-thnx

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be specific to the app?

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be specific to the app?
not always. for example, I have a key defined that opens and closes the disk tray. however, in this specific case it does execute an app's function I believe. specifically, the key combo toggles on & off a full screen cursor.

So, if I wanted to re-define a key combo already pre-assigned to something else, is there not a way to discover what it currently executes so I can 'back up' the command to a text file should I want to restore it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is not a central location where this information is stored. Essentially there can be many programs that are always running in memory that are looking for keys they are designed to watch. For example, Windows 7 has certain keystroke commands. But I also run a piece of software called DBLCLICK which offers the ability to associate keystroke with winamp commands, I don't use that portion but if I did that particular software would be watching for the keystroke combinations I define there and would perform specific actions in winamp when it detected them. And when I run some video games they define certain keystrokes if the game is the active window.

You would have to know every program running in memory and what keys are used by each. It's probably easier to just try the key before you chose to assign it.

Ask a Question