How to uninstall update 2823324?


W

webster72n

There probably is no need for me to do it in WinVista, but how in the
world can that be accomplished?
There is no opening with either the left- or the right-click.

Harry.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Monty

There probably is no need for me to do it in WinVista, but how in the
world can that be accomplished?
There is no opening with either the left- or the right-click.
Harry,

This is a good question. If you ask the same question in Google you
might see an article at HowToGeek website that gives you an answer.
 
W

webster72n

Monty said:
Harry,

This is a good question. If you ask the same question in Google you
might see an article at HowToGeek website that gives you an answer.
Why didn't I think of that???
 
P

Paul

webster72n said:
There probably is no need for me to do it in WinVista, but how in the
world can that be accomplished?
There is no opening with either the left- or the right-click.

Harry.
Control Panel : Windows Update

"View update history"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030505im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history1.PNG

"Review update history" - see link on upper right...
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030449im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history.PNG

"Uninstall an update"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030444im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/Automaticup1.PNG

You'd think they could have made it more
convoluted, added an extra panel or two... /sarcasm

HTH,
Paul
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Control Panel : Windows Update

"View update history"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030505im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history1.PNG

"Review update history" - see link on upper right...
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030449im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history.PNG

"Uninstall an update"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030444im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/Automaticup1.PNG

You'd think they could have made it more
convoluted, added an extra panel or two... /sarcasm
Be careful - someone at Microsoft might see that and decide to do it,
even with the tag you added...
 
W

WhinYett

Control Panel : Windows Update

"View update history"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030505im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history1.PNG


"Review update history" - see link on upper right...
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030449im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/updates-history.PNG


"Uninstall an update"
http://web.archive.org/web/20121107030444im_/http://www.tips4pc.com/images/Automaticup1.PNG


You'd think they could have made it more
convoluted, added an extra panel or two... /sarcasm

HTH,
Paul
I followed the above procedure i.e. Microsoft's. My machine is sitting
in a loop with a screen telling me it is reconfiguring and DO NOT SWITCH
OFF. How long can I let this go on????

Frank
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

G. Morgan

webster72n said:
There probably is no need for me to do it in WinVista, but how in the
world can that be accomplished?
There is no opening with either the left- or the right-click.
It's always handy to have a Windows PE bootable USB stick. Hiren's Boot
CD is one, but you can find a variety at reboot.pro

When Windows is acting up, it's much easier to repair when the system is
dismounted.

Even the Windows installation DVD is useful (it's bootable), has a repair
utility that sometimes works. I highly recommend building your own PE
boot DVD's or USB sticks with custom utilities. If you don't have the
skills or patience, use Hiren's Boot CD or others.

www.ultimatebootcd.com/
www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd , www.hirensbootcd.org
www.ubcd4win.com/


http://reboot.pro/files/ *Awesome resource, my favorite but requires
building your own disk based on the scripts provided for Winbuilder. You
can customize your build by adding whatever utilities you want too.
 
W

WhinYett

How long has it been going on?
I left it and went away having watched it on and off for almost an hour!
2 hours later the machine had closed down. I don't know when it happened.
Good news is that win 7 rebooted successfully and 2823324 has gone.
Lucky escape or what??
Frank
 
L

Larry__Weiss

I left it and went away having watched it on and off for almost an hour! 2 hours later the machine
had closed down. I don't know when it happened.
Good news is that win 7 rebooted successfully and 2823324 has gone.
Lucky escape or what??
Frank
I suspect some irregularities with updating entries in the registry.
 
W

webster72n

G. Morgan said:
It's always handy to have a Windows PE bootable USB stick. Hiren's Boot
CD is one, but you can find a variety at reboot.pro

When Windows is acting up, it's much easier to repair when the system is
dismounted.

Even the Windows installation DVD is useful (it's bootable), has a repair
utility that sometimes works. I highly recommend building your own PE
boot DVD's or USB sticks with custom utilities. If you don't have the
skills or patience, use Hiren's Boot CD or others.

www.ultimatebootcd.com/
www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd , www.hirensbootcd.org
www.ubcd4win.com/


http://reboot.pro/files/ *Awesome resource, my favorite but requires
building your own disk based on the scripts provided for Winbuilder. You
can customize your build by adding whatever utilities you want too.
Surely appreciate the feedback, thank you all.
Yours is especially helpful, G. Morgan.
The trouble is, I don't operate that far in advance.
Maybe I should.
For the time being I am going to let this update "ride"
and will worry about it later, if necessary.
Thanks again,

Harry.
 
P

Paul

WhinYett said:
I left it and went away having watched it on and off for almost an hour!
2 hours later the machine had closed down. I don't know when it happened.
Good news is that win 7 rebooted successfully and 2823324 has gone.
Lucky escape or what??
Frank
If you check the threads on the web, discussing 2823324, removal does
cause the indefinite "reconfiguring" thing. But most of the users
were impatient, and hit the power button, and somehow, they
booted normally on the next attempt. Hitting the power button,
is surely a recipe for disaster. We have no way of knowing, for
a given "configuration" activity, whether the OS will survive
or not. Maybe it was just doing a CHKDSK or something. After all,
the patch is supposed to change ntfs.sys, not change every
file on the computer. The affected set of files should be small.

Paul
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

s|b

I followed the above procedure i.e. Microsoft's. My machine is sitting
in a loop with a screen telling me it is reconfiguring and DO NOT SWITCH
OFF. How long can I let this go on????
Same thing happened to me (W7 HP x64 SP1). I gave up after more than an
half hour of waiting. Computer rebooted, I saw something about registry,
rebooted again, then there was something about installing updates at
100% and after that all seemed well. I checked and KB2823324 was
uninstalled. Weird...
 
S

s|b

If you check the threads on the web, discussing 2823324, removal does
cause the indefinite "reconfiguring" thing. But most of the users
were impatient, and hit the power button, and somehow, they
booted normally on the next attempt. Hitting the power button,
is surely a recipe for disaster.
I waited and waited. There was no hdd activity, so I hit the reset
button (same thing as power button) and all seems well, so... I'm not
going to loose any sleep over it. In any case, I made an image /before/
Patch Tuesday, so I can always go back. I'm probably going to restore
the image this WE. I've got nothing to do anyway. :)
 
W

...winston

"G. Morgan" wrote in message It's always handy to have a Windows PE bootable USB stick. Hiren's Boot
CD is one, but you can find a variety at reboot.pro

When Windows is acting up, it's much easier to repair when the system is
dismounted.

Even the Windows installation DVD is useful (it's bootable), has a repair
utility that sometimes works. I highly recommend building your own PE
boot DVD's or USB sticks with custom utilities. If you don't have the
skills or patience, use Hiren's Boot CD or others.

www.ultimatebootcd.com/
www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd , www.hirensbootcd.org
www.ubcd4win.com/


http://reboot.pro/files/ *Awesome resource, my favorite but requires
building your own disk based on the scripts provided for Winbuilder. You
can customize your build by adding whatever utilities you want too.
All great tools and recommendations.
Also see
Repair Disk for KB2823324 and KB2782476 (KB2840165)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435
- applicable to specific hardware, 32 bit Win7 and without BitLocker enabled.
<qp>
To help customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their systems after installation of security update 2823324,
Microsoft is making available a bootable media ISO image through the Microsoft Download Center (DLC).

Customers who cannot successfully restart their systems after applying the 2823324 update can download this image to create a
bootable DVD or USB drive with which they can boot their systems, uninstall security update 2823324, and return their systems to a
normal operating state. Microsoft recommends using this ISO image only if customers cannot successfully restart their systems.
Customers who can restart normally should not use this ISO image and should instead refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
2839011 for instructions on how to uninstall security update 2823324.
Known Issues:
1) This will not run on old hardware (pre 2004) that does not support NX.
2) This will only run on Windows 7 32 bit installations.
3) It will not work if Bitlocker is enabled.
</qp>
 
W

...winston

"Paul" wrote in message news:[email protected] you check the threads on the web, discussing 2823324, removal does
cause the indefinite "reconfiguring" thing. But most of the users
were impatient, and hit the power button, and somehow, they
booted normally on the next attempt. Hitting the power button,
is surely a recipe for disaster. We have no way of knowing, for
a given "configuration" activity, whether the OS will survive
or not. Maybe it was just doing a CHKDSK or something. After all,
the patch is supposed to change ntfs.sys, not change every
file on the computer. The affected set of files should be small.Also see
Repair Disk for KB2823324 and KB2782476 (KB2840165)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435


<qp>
To help customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their systems after installation of security update 2823324,
Microsoft is making available a bootable media ISO image through the Microsoft Download Center (DLC).
</qp>
 
P

Paul

....winston said:
"Paul" wrote in message news:[email protected]
If you check the threads on the web, discussing 2823324, removal does
cause the indefinite "reconfiguring" thing. But most of the users
were impatient, and hit the power button, and somehow, they
booted normally on the next attempt. Hitting the power button,
is surely a recipe for disaster. We have no way of knowing, for
a given "configuration" activity, whether the OS will survive
or not. Maybe it was just doing a CHKDSK or something. After all,
the patch is supposed to change ntfs.sys, not change every
file on the computer. The affected set of files should be small.
Also see
Repair Disk for KB2823324 and KB2782476 (KB2840165)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435


<qp>
To help customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their
systems after installation of security update 2823324, Microsoft is
making available a bootable media ISO image through the Microsoft
Download Center (DLC).
</qp>
Looks like it might be focused on Brazilian customers. There's
something on there called System Center ? So maybe these
would be people who were running G-Buster (G-Buster Browser Defense Unibanco) ?

Paul
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

...winston

Hi Paul,
From what I know it does appear (and has from the first report) to be mostly geographic based.
From the other angle there are reports of problems in other geographic locations

Whatever the long run shakes out to be for MSFT to release an iso file that allows booting Windows to remove the problem update is
relatively unusual...and imo possibly other under-the-hood issues that may or may not ever be revealed thus removing the update at
this time just makes good sense.


--
....winston
msft mvp consumer apps


"Paul" wrote in message
....winston said:
"Paul" wrote in message news:[email protected]
If you check the threads on the web, discussing 2823324, removal does
cause the indefinite "reconfiguring" thing. But most of the users
were impatient, and hit the power button, and somehow, they
booted normally on the next attempt. Hitting the power button,
is surely a recipe for disaster. We have no way of knowing, for
a given "configuration" activity, whether the OS will survive
or not. Maybe it was just doing a CHKDSK or something. After all,
the patch is supposed to change ntfs.sys, not change every
file on the computer. The affected set of files should be small.
Also see
Repair Disk for KB2823324 and KB2782476 (KB2840165)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435


<qp>
To help customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their systems after installation of security update 2823324,
Microsoft is making available a bootable media ISO image through the Microsoft Download Center (DLC).
</qp>
Looks like it might be focused on Brazilian customers. There's
something on there called System Center ? So maybe these
would be people who were running G-Buster (G-Buster Browser Defense Unibanco) ?

Paul
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top