how to tell - 32 or 64 bit version of windows 7

Reaction score
Hi, A freind has had some issues with a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade (from Vista). Unfortunately he does not know what he had (Vista 32 or 64 bit) nor what he has had installed. How do I check if this is a 64 bit or 32 bit windows 7 install?

Sorry for the dumb question but don't want to upgrade the bios unless I know for sure.

Thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Lokk in the control panel (icon view) and syetm. It is in the middle, under the subtitle "System"

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If your friend did an "upgrade" install, that's probably why he's having issues. Nearly all who do the upgrade install route will have issues.

I highly recommend a clean or custom install, far fewer problems and the system actually run smoother and faster too.

Reaction score
couldn't agree more but said I'd have a look, upgrade drivers etc.. I will be telling him to back it up anyway. I think he has a disk problem and access to exe files is denied in his existing profikes (except administrator) You can "run as" admin but not logged on user. Have created new profile and all ok
The other niggle is that the mouse/keyboard go AWOL after a restart. However a hard pwer off brings them back, so ??.. Start again, I think but giving it a go

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If the mouse and keyboard are USB connections, be sure the BIOS is set to enable Legacy USB connections or mouse and keyboard USB connections.

Ask a Question