How to run 16-bit program on Win7 64-bit

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have recently bought a new HP61 laptop with Windows 7 64-bit OS. I have a 16-bit program that runs on my desktop PC with XP, but will not run on Win 7. I have installed Virtualbox and then installed XP as a guest, and the program runs, but the XP screen is small, and the system 32 screen even smaller. So I have 2 questions.

1. How can I make the screen bigger/full size?
2. Is it possible to partion the hard drive and install XP there, instead of using VB?

Many thanks in advance.

fare.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1. Aren't there standard windows controls in the upper right of the window including the maximize square? (I use Microsofts virtual PC not Oracles virtual box so I've never used it)
2. Yes you can create a dual-boot machine

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are the normal maximise/minimise buttons, but even maximised the screen is only about 2/3 normal size.

Regarding the dual-boot machine, is there any disadvantage over a virtual machine? Does it take a lot of memory? or any other problem? Is it difficult to do?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What program is it?

If you were to successfully install XP in a dual boot situation, It will be more advantageous than a VM because you won't be sharing the resources of the computer.

You can do it for no money if you have a legitimate copy of XP that is not being used on another computer.

It can be difficult to do if there is a hidden partition for recovery on that computer. If you want to go ahead with it, I strongly recommend creating a back-up image of the entire hard drive with Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup to another hard drive first. If you don't have a USB drive or an additional drive for that computer, then there could/should be some expense for such a drive.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
http://www.todo-backup.com/

Give it some thought and get back to us. There is plenty of help around here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only disadvantage to dual boot if you own a copy of XP is that to switch back and forth you must reboot.

I have read setting up the dual boot can be a challenge and what I've read suggests XP should be installed first. This may only be an issue when installing on separate partitions of the same hard drive; it may be easier if you use two hard drives, but I don't know. I use Microsoft VirtualPC and have never tried to set up dual boot.

When I look at this picture of Virtualbox Vista it looks like it would be nearly full-size when maximized ...
http://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/wiki/Screenshots/5-logon.png
Maybe you need to set it up to run in it's own window or something?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh, I'm wondering if your old program just can't handle the higher resolution screens of today. Maybe in the virtual window you could set the screen resolution to 800x600.

Like yoda asked, what program is it?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yeah, the reason I asked was it may run on the 32bit version of W7. That may be an easier solution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, true, it's possible it might run on a 32bit W7.

I just hate to ever suggest what I see as a downgrade to 32-bit for an old old program. The RAM limitations of 32-bit are enough that I would always suggest 64-bit if the hardware supports it.

If you have Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise you could also try Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP mode. Maybe it would look different. I suppose it depends om whether it is the applications max resolution or what is causing the size issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Many thanks for your valuable suggestions. The program is a custom made design/calculation program and no chance to upgrade to 32 or 64-bit. The HP61 has 4GB of RAM (plus 4GB more possible) and 320GB hard drive, but there is already one 12GB partion with recovery prog. I would need to save 52GB to back up the whole system. I think the program would run OK in Win 7 32-bit. Would there be any advantage in installing Win 7 32-bit over XP, in a separate partition?
My laptop is missing some virtual software, so up grading to Professional etc, is a no go.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a dos program or windows 3.1 GUI? The reason I ask is because if it's DOS then it might work under DOS-Box.

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said! Yes, it is a DOS program. What is DOS-Box?

Reaction score
DOSBox 0.74 has been released
DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...

You can "re-live" the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run plenty of the old classics that don't run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.

Check our "Downloads" section for the most recent DOSBox version

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DOS-Box is essentially a virtualbox for DOS programs. Give it a go.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
fare, welcome to the forum! I too wanted to dual boot XP Media Center (still trying to find a way) with Windows 7 (64 bit). I also recently, last November, bought an HP computer. My problem isn't (or never was) space, 320GB is plenty to run two OS's on, plus have the 100MB system partition & your recovery partition. I run four OS's on a 100GB (93GB usable) notebook, with no problems.

My problem was this, when I booted my first XP disc on the HP (the Media Center is two CD's), the initial Windows files that first loads went by, then when I arrived at the point of configuring the install, a blue screen appeared with an error code appeared. There was also the suggestion that there may be a virus. The same happened with Win 2K. So it was suggested to use a disc with at least SP1 on it, being that both OS's has problems "seeing" over 137GB hard drives with no SP on the disc. No difference at all.

I have ran both of these prior versions of Windows using VirtualBox, and Windows Virtual PC. But no matter how you look at it, there's nothing like the "real thing", a real install. If you ever get it figured out, let me know.

Most likely, within the next few months, I'll be getting a new notebook, hard drives are easy and fast to swap in most of them. I'll make sure this is so when I select one. My intentions are to buy a 100 to 120GB SATA notebook drive, this way, the 137GB limit won't be the excuse any longer. I can't see any reason that with a small drive, that it's not possible to dual boot both older OS's with ease, IF it's the 137GB limit that's the holdup. There's other members here who runs XP on SATA drives.

I do hope that you find an answer soon. As I've asked, if you find a way to dual boot XP with Windows 7, on the larger drives, please let me know, send me a PM if you want.

Also, I hope that you find this forum to be a good place to learn, there's many tutorials on the site, as well as friendly, professional assistance available to you.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
this way, the 137GB limit won't be the excuse any longer. I can't see any reason that with a small drive, that it's not possible to dual boot both older OS's with ease, IF it's the 137GB limit that's the holdup. There's other members here who runs XP on SATA drives.
Cat this limit is only valid on a FAT32 partition. If you use NTFS there is no 137GB limit. If you are using NTFS file system, you should not need a smaller drive.

Even if you do use FAT32 file system, you can have more than one partition 137GB in size. In fact I have read that if you use a third party partitioning software to format the FAT32 file system, the limitation is much larger. The problem is that Windows can not format larger than 137GB but will definitely read a larger drive that was previously formated. Therefore limiting your drive to 120GB does not make any sense.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've tried to clean install XP Media Center on this computer, on the smaller (320GB) drive that I had on here. That's what I was talking about. It's formatted as NTFS. I backed up what I had, then tried the install. What I described above is what happened when I did. The same with Win 2K. Neither will install on here.

What I was talking about was just quick swapping drives, according to what I want to run, as far as a new notebook goes. I don't plan to mess with the original drive, other than purchasing a Anytime Upgrade key to make it Pro. It will be used primarily for folding.

As soon as my Caviar Black comes back, I'll format it, then try to install XP Media Center on that. I hope that it works. It's the best version of XP to date.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, I thought you tried to install XP on your USB hard drive - I think that was the issue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I did, but Windows doesn't boot through USB. What I'm going to try, since I have two solid backups (with Acronis True Image 2010 & Macrium), done last night, is format the partition that Vista sits on (a 150GB one). I want to keep an extra primary for the next version of Windows (most likely a beta at first), and I can dump Vista without it breaking my heart.:D

I'll use the Free Partition Wizard to clear the partition, reformat it to NTFS, and try the install. If it's successful, then all that I'll need to do is pull out my emergency repair disc to recover both Windows 7 installs. If not, I have my backup to revert to.

It really should be a piece of cake. My only issues may be drivers, since HP didn't make XP drivers for this computer. However, last week, Microsoft Update delivered an updated SATA controller for all of the OS's on my computer, so hopefully I'll get the updates that I'll need. As long as I can successfully install XP Media Center, I can get the rest to work.

PS: If anyone sees that this won't work for me, please post and let me know. It is my understanding that it will install, as long as the drive is formatted beforehand. I just want to get this thing done, I've searched months to find a way. I believe that I understood C_C's instructions correctly.:top:

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your Vista partition is most likely already NTFS and just needs reformatted.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It didn't work. I formatted the Vista partition (to NTFS), tried the install, same old song and dance. Noticing the install files as they go by, I didn't see a SATA controller, but several IDE ones. So I tried again, using the option to load drivers (F6), I have the SATA controller on a flash drive, but it was asking for a floppy.

I believe the lack of a SATA controller may be a problem. What I was wondering, was if I used a backup that was taken with Macrium, put it in the space (after formatting again), then use a boot disc to fire it up. The only problem that I can see with that are the Dell drivers that the OS contains. However, once it got going, CCleaner could clean the registry up, if only it would boot.

In any case, I'm not giving up. I don't believe in conceding without putting up a 100% effort, until all options are exhausted, which I don't feel they are.

Cat

Ask a Question