Will 32-bit programs run in a 64-bit computer?

Reaction score
I've been convinced that I should not "downgrade" my 64-bit Windows 7 computer to 32-bit, but I'm still concerned.

Are there any potential problems I should be aware of running programs that would run in a Win7 32-bit computer on a Win7 computer?

Jay O'Brien

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No you shouldn't be concerned at all! Of the 100+ 32 bit programs I have tried on my x64 system, the only one that wouldn't install was Window Washer by Webroot.

Since Windows 7 was out for some time, most of the software developers have made sure their programs are compatible.

x64 computing is the future and here now. Within a couple of years 32 bit will be almost by the wayside.

Plus MS did a very good job making sure that the vast majority of 32 bit applications would run on Windows 7 x64 OS.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There's no need for concern. For the time being, most of what 64 bit users have are 32 bit programs. There is a 64 bit IE on here, but I've never used it. However, with the next release of Windows, there will be no 32 bit option. That is all but cast into stone. Around that time, or shortly before, we will have more and more 64 bit programs to use. 32 bit is going downhill fast. Have you noticed in the stores that most new computers are 64 bit? There may be limited amount of leftover inventory that is 32 bit, and there are 32 bit netbooks, but that's about it. The real reason 32 bit Windows 7 was offered? The amount of 32 bit Vista computers that is compatible with Win 7. That's my opinion. Really, there's no other reason that I can see. The three years of turmoil where Vista users were struggling to keep it, or downgrade to XP. They deserved better, and Microsoft delivered with Windows 7. The support for XP will end in April, 2014, and with that, 32 bit support will go, too. So rest assured, you made the right decision.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Pontential problems will only come from companies who are stubbron to move to 64bit. Now if you have really old programs or printers/scanners, yes they may not work with 64bit but there are work-arounds for many.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That happened with my Dell 720 Photo Printer. However, after two months of searching for an answer, I found it at Microsoft Answers through a Bing search. It was a Dell driver, but not listed on the Dell site as a driver for my needs. So now my 6 year old printer is back in use. Never give up, as draceena said, there are workarounds.

Ask a Question