How to move the Internet Temporary File?

Reaction score
I tried to move the Internet Temporary File to a partition in the 2nd drive; it failed. The problem is that win 7 claims that it was moved & I had to logoff for it to complete the move.

After I was logged off, then logged on, the box still shows that the Internet Temporary File remained the same in c:\users\xxxx\Application\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Internet Temporary File.

The relocation of the ITF works in winxp but am having a problem with win 7-64 bit home premium.

Is this no longer possible? Or is it no longer possible as I have Firefox as my default browser.

A side note: win 7 claims that there is a danger with Firefox connecting to the "outside world" (internet) so that there is a setting to ok for firefox to connect to the internet. Win 7 doesn't do the same for Internet Explorer! Guess ms believes that IE is absolutely "safe" from everything.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I tried to move the Internet Temporary File to a partition in the 2nd drive; it failed. The problem is that win 7 claims that it was moved & I had to logoff for it to complete the move.

After I was logged off, then logged on, the box still shows that the Internet Temporary File remained the same in c:\users\xxxx\Application\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Internet Temporary File.

The relocation of the ITF works in winxp but am having a problem with win 7-64 bit home premium.

Is this no longer possible?
How did you try to move it? From inside IE>Internet Options>General Tab>Temporary Internet Files and History Settings Button? Those IE temp files are now in a protected folder so unless you have Taken Ownership you probably can't even get to them to see them. BTW use \AppData\ Not \Application\. I have read several posts trying to actually move them and I have NOT seen a solution but if you insist on trying I would sugest running Take Ownership first.

Or is it no longer possible as I have Firefox as my default browser.
Your FireFox temp files should be elsewhere, not under a folder \Microsoft\

A side note: win 7 claims that there is a danger with Firefox connecting to the "outside world" (internet) so that there is a setting to ok for firefox to connect to the internet. Win 7 doesn't do the same for Internet Explorer! Guess ms believes that IE is absolutely "safe" from everything.
This was likely the firewall. Microsoft probably already has it set up that IE would require internet access but other programs you install would have to granted permission. This is to protect you. It doesn't mean IE is any safer than FireFox, it simply means it was already installed and set up and FireFox wasn't.

Reaction score
You're right on the AppData, my mistype due to the small font that seems to ignore my font sizing.

I used the Internet Properties of the Internet Options; in the General tab, I selected the "settings" for the Browsing history & up popped the dialog box with the title "Temporary Internet Files and ...."

Near the middle of the box, is the "current location" & 3 tabs: "move folder", "view object", "view files".

Selected "move folder" (just like winxp) & up popped a selection box to select a place to move the Temporary Internet Files. Nothing about needing to take "ownership" or admin status. I do have "admin privileges", supposedly & the only person using this computer.

Ask a Question