How to make a system partition, which is needed for Windows 7?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

i have a netbook with 160gb.
Xp is pre installed on this machine.

I made a new partition of 25gb to install Windows 7 on (from a usb-stick).

The installation screen starts up oke, but when i start the install and select the 25gb partition i get the message that it's not a system partition.

So now my question, how do i make it a system partition?

Thnx in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Once you are in Windows 7 setup and prompted to select a partition, click "drive options (advanced)" and try to delete the 25GB partition and then recreate it.

What was the exact error you got, was it "Setup couldn't create new system partition"?

Reaction score
Yes Ian, i got that message "Setup couldn't create new system partition"

Can i safely delete the 25gb partition? Where does that 25gb go to then? Does it add up to the C disk (the main one?)

Partitions and such aren't really my cup of tea :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The 25GB partition comes from the total hard drive space you have (160GB), so I'm assuming you've got 135GB set as a C: and the 25GB as a second drive. If you remove the 25GB partition you need to resize your C: to the full 160GB size.

If you don't want to mess about with partitions you can always try using VirtualBox to install Windows 7 within XP? There's an article on it here:

https://www.w7forums.com/run-windows-7-virtualbox-t107.html

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Since you're installing on an Acer netbook, this article may be of use to you.

Reaction score
Yes i put Windows 7 install on the USB stick already.

The problem is with the partition of my hard-drive. The windows installation say that the partition isn't a system partition.

Ask a Question