How to install ATI AGP Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I can't post any screens of errors. Do you think It's OK to watch a cartoon movie (my older system Barton 3200+ with Nvidia FX 5700 had not problem at all) with 5-6 fps per second? it's not a probelm with codec. I already installed them.

I can't do anything with it. Trust me when I say so. in control panel all seems to work just fine with no errors, but I can't change my resolution, I tried a Heroes 5 and it freeze, I tried an older HOMM 4, the same result.

Attachments

Reaction score
You say you can't change resolution, yet there are different screenshots showing it at different resolutions. So forget this part of the equation, as your screenshots attached here show.

Freezing is not the same at all as a video driver not working. You perhaps have other issues on the system since it was just installed, like the other drivers needing updates.

Also, you could try using VLC to play the files.

Attachments

Reaction score
Copy the .sys file of the latest hotfix driver after extracting it to C:\ATI

Paste it over the one at C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Reboot.

Other than that, the message doesn't mean much.

You could also try installing the GART driver from the motherboard site instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ati gigabyte 4650 agp (code 43)

hi

i cant get my ati agp 4650 to work.
ive tried what seems like every driver including the hotfix versions and get a (code 43) everytime. occasionly it seems ok when i install the driver but after rebooting (which you have to to complete installation) i get the (code 43) every time with a `!` in device manager in a little yellow triangle next to `ati hd 4600 series`.

im really pulling my hair out.

ive also tried installing varios intel chipset driver versions from guru3d website.

am i flogging a dead horse here?/? i hate giving up :(

thanks for any input (its fine in xp)

pentium 4 3.2 northwood
dfi lanparty 875p revision a. mobo
3 gb of pc4000 twinx ram
gigabyte agp 4650 1gb
soundblaster fatality soundcard

Reaction score
hi

i cant get my ati agp 4650 to work.
ive tried what seems like every driver including the hotfix versions and get a (code 43) everytime. occasionly it seems ok when i install the driver but after rebooting (which you have to to complete installation) i get the (code 43) every time with a `!` in device manager in a little yellow triangle next to `ati hd 4600 series`.

im really pulling my hair out.

ive also tried installing varios intel chipset driver versions from guru3d website.

am i flogging a dead horse here?/? i hate giving up :(

thanks for any input (its fine in xp)

pentium 4 3.2 northwood
dfi lanparty 875p revision a. mobo
3 gb of pc4000 twinx ram
gigabyte agp 4650 1gb
soundblaster fatality soundcard
Update your chipset drivers to latest. If still no good, then you must use WinXP. Not Vista nor 7.

Reaction score
cheers, well i guess it will stop me wasting any more time on it.

what i find frustrating is my dad has same mobo (well the revision b version) and he has a older agp ati 9600 (i think) which installs ok. i just dont get it :(

oh well, thank for the rapid response

Reaction score
cheers, well i guess it will stop me wasting any more time on it.

what i find frustrating is my dad has same mobo (well the revision b version) and he has a older agp ati 9600 (i think) which installs ok. i just dont get it :(

oh well, thank for the rapid response
On your Dad's pc, open the device manager and look in System Devices for the CPU to AGP bridge controller or anything else with AGP in it's name. Then right click and choose properties. Go to drivers tab then click driver details.

See what the file(s) shown there are. Go into C:\Windows\System32\drivers and copy the files shown to usb stick or burn to cd.

Bring the stick or cd to your machine. Copy the files over the ones that you have in the same folder.

Reboot and it should work.

Please tell us how this goes for you.

Only do this if you both have 32 bit or both have 64 bit Windows. If Dad has 32 bit and you have 64 bit, install 32 bit instead.

Reaction score
If you go to ATI's website, and follow the "drivers" tabs and directions, you will find the correct drivers relatively easy.

Reaction score
Same problem... tried everything I've read... no luck

Torrentg,

Hoping you can help me out. I've got a Visiontek Radeon HD 3650 video card and am having the same problem that everyone else seems to be having with this. After installing, all I get is a black screen. I can only run in Safe Mode. I've read all the threads and tried all the solutions and can't seem to come to a resolution. Wanted to try it all before I wrote.

I built this machine myself back in 2004. I recently had the Radeon 2400 Pro AGP installed and had no problems. The computer is on it's last leg and I just want to extend it a little longer. Here's my system config:

Motherboard: Intel D875PBZ
CPU: Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz
Memory: 2GB
Hardware ID: 9598

Anything that can be done would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Torrentg,

Hoping you can help me out. I've got a Visiontek Radeon HD 3650 video card and am having the same problem that everyone else seems to be having with this. After installing, all I get is a black screen. I can only run in Safe Mode. I've read all the threads and tried all the solutions and can't seem to come to a resolution. Wanted to try it all before I wrote.

I built this machine myself back in 2004. I recently had the Radeon 2400 Pro AGP installed and had no problems. The computer is on it's last leg and I just want to extend it a little longer. Here's my system config:

Motherboard: Intel D875PBZ
CPU: Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz
Memory: 2GB
Hardware ID: 9598

Anything that can be done would be greatly appreciated.
There are only 2 things necessary for it to work, assuming the hardware is not defective.

1) In the device manager under System section, there will be an entry with AGP in it. This must have a driver installed well and not showing any errors.

2) The hotfix driver from ATI must be installed. You can find the hotfix here on this page:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

------------------

Suggest to update the motherboard bios to latest, then after, make sure AGP is selected as the first display device.

-------------------

If your 2400 was working and the 3650 now will not, then the 3650 might be defective. In this case, I would use Driver Sweeper to clear the machine of all ATI files/settings - in safe mode.

Then reboot and install the latest hotfix driver, in normal mode.

---------------------

If your 2400 was working well and the 3650 now will not, instead of 3650 being defective, your PSU very well could be too weak. This is extremely likely since the card displays in safe mode but not regular mode. This is the most likely answer here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for such a fast response! I will try what you suggest.

1) In the device manager under System section, there will be an entry with AGP in it. This must have a driver installed well and not showing any errors.
I'll have to check the System section tonight (at work now).

2) The hotfix driver from ATI must be installed
I downloaded both the full Catalyst Suite and the individual Display Driver and Catalyst software from the site link you provided. I want to try just the driver... can't stand Catalyst. -- One question... do I follow your instructions from previous threads where you recommend quitting the hotfix install and instead choose Update Driver and navigate to the new display driver? Or does this hotfix install work properly?

Suggest to update the motherboard bios to latest, then after, make sure AGP is selected as the first display device.
I shudder at having to do this, but I'll look into it if all else fails.

I would use Driver Sweeper to clear the machine of all ATI files/settings - in safe mode.
I've never used Driver Sweeper and a Google search turned up what seems many free apps called that. Do you recommend a particular download? Preferrably a free one?

your PSU very well could be too weak. This is extremely likely since the card displays in safe mode but not regular mode. This is the most likely answer here.
This is a possibility... I can't quite remember what I put in the machine back then, but it was supposed to be pretty powerful at that time. Can you recommend the PSU output I would need?

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Reaction score
One question... do I follow your instructions from previous threads where you recommend quitting the hotfix install and instead choose Update Driver and navigate to the new display driver? Or does this hotfix install work properly?
The only driver that can possibly install well for you is the hotfix version. Delete all other versions you may have and also delete C:\ATI if that exists.

If you don't want CCC to run with Windows, disable it from starting with Windows by using Regedit or msconfig. If you don't manually start it, you'll never see it. Perfect.

You do not have to follow any special process to install the hotfix driver other than running it until full completion. The manual method I have made as in the OP of this thread was before the hotfix driver was available for Windows 7. It's no longer needed for any reason at all.

Automatic install is the way to go.

Updating the bios is a trivial, simple task.

You're welcome.

Here's the Driver Sweeper link if needed: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Reaction score
The only driver that can possibly install well for you is the hotfix version. Delete all other versions you may have and also delete C:\ATI if that exists.

Automatic install is the way to go.

Updating the bios is a trivial, simple task.
Well, I think I have bigger problems...

As you suggested, I did first check under System in Device Manager. Intel(R) 82875P Processor to AGP Controller - 2579 is installed and is working correctly.

So then I ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, and cleaned all ATI drivers. When rebooting to Safe Mode, the boot process hung on the iomdisk.sys file.

I swapped out the 3650 card and replaced it with the 2400 card. Restarted in Safe Mode (successfully) and tried updating BIOS while I was in there before running the hotfix. Running the BIOS update from Intel gave me this error:

Code:
This program is unable to continue.  Internal system error: There is a programmig or internal problem.
Soooo, then I moved on to updating the ATI drivers. At this point, I'd have just been happy just getting the 2400 card working properly again. I ran the Full Catalyst Suite download from the link you provided. The file extracted, launched (I chose Express install), and started the install process. It immediately hit a wall and gave me this error:

Code:
Failed to load detection driver.
And promptly quit and cancelled the install process.

I put in the 3650 card again, started in Safe Mode, and tried the hotfix again. Same problem: Failed to load detection driver.

So now I am at a loss. I can get to Safe Mode (often with multiple restarts required) with either one of the cards installed. This would indicate that it's not a PSU problem. I have a Thermaltake Purepower 480W unit installed. The box for the new card says a minimum of 300W is needed... and I've got that.

As I said... I think i have bigger problems (BIOS perhaps?). Any thoughts, suggestions or otherwise?

I'd hate to shell out a minimum of $700 for a new desktop, but at this point it may be worth it.

Reaction score
Falied to load detection driver has nothing to do with the actual video driver. You could install the video driver manually using the device manager, as in the first post of this thread and it will be fine.

If you want all the automatic stuff to work and CCC to get installed, first install the following then reboot, do a Windows Update, then reboot again:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

(The link is for x86.)

Still suggest to update bios too, in normal mode or even better, in dos mode.

Reaction score
Torrentg, I dunno what was different this time, but it's working now!
Can't thank you enough (you saved me a new computer purchase!). :beer:
By the way... Do I still need this? What exactly did this do?
If you want all the automatic stuff to work and CCC to get installed, first install the following then reboot, do a Windows Update, then reboot again:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

(The link is for x86.)

I'm documenting what I did below for anyone else that might need it.:

I first tried restarting with last known good config, which resulted in a Blue Screen with a Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. I don't think this really means anything in the end... just a symptom of the driver problems. Please tell me if otherwise.

With the 3650 card installed, I powered down and started up again in Safe Mode. I did notice that if I had my USB external hard drive plugged in, that's when it hung on iomdisk.sys.

The New Hardware Found dialog displayed... canceled that.

I plugged in my ext drive and copied the vcredist_x86.exe file you referred me to in the last post. Then unplugged the ext drive again.

I launched vcredist_x86.exe, which started a wizard and then gave me an error: The installation package or a needed file could not be opened. I'm not sure if this was because I was in Safe Mode, so I just said "screw it", clicked Finish to cancel, and moved on.

Then I ran Driver Sweeper again to remove all ATI-Display drivers. (Wanted a clean start). When it finished I rebooted again into Safe Mode.

I ran the Full Catalyst Suite EXE and let it extract all files, but canceled the install manager. Then opened the Device Manager.

No Display Adaper listed, instead right-clicked on Other Devices > Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and chose Update Driver...

Manually installed the Display Driver (Have Disk... ) from the extracted Full Catalyst Suite unzip. Restarted in Normal Mode.

(Invalid boot.ini error) shows up, but I am pretty sure that's unrelated.

Now, I had never gotten this far before: Windows started in 640x480 screen res, so I knew it was gonna be OK. I checked the Device Manager and the ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series is listed as the Display Adapter.

Then I ran the Update Bios EXE and wouldn't you know it, the BIOS update ran perfectly after that!

Now I just have to reset the screen resolution. You've been a great help. Thank you again!

Reaction score
Almost forgot.... I dunno if you sleep at your computer, but your crazy-fast responses are GREATLY appreciated. I hope you're getting paid well for this!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
His only payment is in Thank you's - so be sure to hit the Thanks button on posts that helped.

Reaction score
I'm back again with my old problem with Sapphire HD 4650 AGP 512 MB DDR2.
I've replaced the old video card (BTW was damaged) with a new one same model and now I have a different problem with this. I've managed to install this one correctly, but without the GART drivers. When I try to install the GART drivers it install them and after the reboot, it begins to load the win xp and when I think it comes to the end it restarts again and after that you'll have to choose the last good known configuration. Otherwise if you try to start Win normally it restarts your computer again and again.

If this was only my concern it would be perfect. But without the GART drives when I try to access some movie, any kind of movie from net (not from my files from computer) or a broadcast transmission it restarts. Even from www.youtube.com.

So, what can I do in this situation?

I must also mention that I've tried with different kind of GART drive including the 4.40 beta stable. I've tried with 3.11, 4.36 and other kind of drivers from nforce 2 and 3.

Sorry for my poor English.

Also, I've uninstalled all about the ATI except the drivers.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question