How to get rid of "<name> locked" and "switch user" on wakeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've searched throughout this and other forums and can't get the answer to this question. I'm a new user of Windows 7 Home Premium. Every time the computer wakes up from hibernation or sleep I get the screen with my name and below it the words "Locked" and "Switch User". All I have to do is click on the name and it goes to the main desktop screen. Is there a way to bypass this annoying first screen since it doesn't seem to serve any obvious purpose?

Reaction score
Hi dougf - Welcome to w7forums

Check your screen-saver settings, there should be an option that that tells windows to go to the login page when the screen-saver starts.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I've checked this setting on my screen saver and it is unchecked. The problem does not occur when coming out of the screen saver--only when coming out of hibernation or sleep.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Control Panel \ Power Options
On left side "Require password on wakeup"
check "Don't require"

Reaction score
Thanks again, but that's how I've had the setting already. Actually it doesn't ask me for a password when it wakes up. It just makes me click on the icon labeled "<name> Locked" in order to get to the desktop.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help you then. Hopefully somebody else has some ideas.

Personally, I would be happy to get that screen because I have never been able to get mine to wakeup, I have sleep/hibernation disabled because my only recovery seems to be reboot.

Reaction score
dougf do you have more than one user account created?

I'm thinking that is normal operations for a system with more than one account. If you only have one user account then Windows should load the only account by default.

Reaction score
Clifford, thanks for responding. In addition to my own account designated as the Administrator, I have a "Guest" account which is turned off. That's all. I don't recall having set up the Guest account myself, so I presume it was set up somehow on its own (unlikely, I know) or it was there when I bought the computer with Win 7 already loaded. Do I need to delete the Guest account? I can't see how to do that.

Reaction score
You should have the option to remove the account from within the guest account settings. Find the guest account and then manage (Please bare with me, I'm trying to remember). I do know there is a way to remove the account because I have done so many times.

Reaction score
It seems (from my reading in other forums) that one cannot delete a Guest account--only disable it. So, I guess I'll have to try another angle to resolve the original problem.

Reaction score
It seems (from my reading in other forums) that one cannot delete a Guest account--only disable it. So, I guess I'll have to try another angle to resolve the original problem.
I'm afraid I don't understand why they say that because I don't have a guest account on my PC. When I open User Account, the only account I see is my one and only account. This is because I have removed all the other accounts.

Reaction score
Hi,i think its windows 7 error.I've got similar issue whenever windows 7
is bringing back from sleep or stand by my account is locked so even
passord doesn't match, only switch user to same user, what
is misunderstanding, works but its boring all time doing it. Good luck

Reaction score
fixed it

It took me a while to find the solution for this, but finally I got rid of this annoying behavior.

I am very new to windows 7...

I right clicked the desktop looking for the familiar properties option to get to display settings... and chose personalize.

In the lower right hand side I selected "Screen Saver". Under the Power management section, I selected "Change power settings". I have a Dell, so by default the Dell plan was selected, I changed it to High performance, and then clicked on "Change plan settings".

I selected "Change advanced power settings", and then clicked on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". This allowed me to change the Require a password on wakeup option to No. I then selected Ok and Save changes.

I no longer get the user screen when my pc wakes up from sleeping.
Someone else posted a similar solution and you mentioned that you had already tried that; I'm not sure if this is the same option or not, the other poster mentioned checking "Don't require" and the option with this method was "No"...

I hope this helps, it worked for me. :)

-drumbokas

edit: my user account does not require a password, and I have a guest account that is off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's the "Name locked- switch user" fix that works on 7 Home Premium:
Start, run, regedit. Go to Hkey_Local_Machine, Software, Microsoft, WindowsNT, CurrentVersion, Winlogon, look for the name "ForceUnlockLogon" and change the data entry from "0" to "1"

Problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question