How to get online :(

Reaction score
Hello, I recently just reformatted and now i can't seem to go back online the only network drive i installed is microsoft loopback because i couldn't install any other :( and i still can't go online help please.

Reaction score
Hello soups - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not completely following your question.

Can you tell us your computer model and what you see on the screen when you try to go online.

You said you reformatted, does this mean you have successfully installed Windows 7 and now you don't have Internet access?

Reaction score
How are you connected to internet - cable, modem, are you connected directly or through a router?

Have you set up your IPv4 and DNS server in the network adapter properties?

Reaction score
Hello soups - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not completely following your question.

Can you tell us your computer model and what you see on the screen when you try to go online.

You said you reformatted, does this mean you have successfully installed Windows 7 and now you don't have Internet access?
Yes i have successfully installed windows 7 home premium,
My computer model is Asus M3a78-CM
Windows network diagnostic says that my local area connection does not have a valid IP configuration. I tried connecting it to my modem & wireless router

Reaction score
You need to enter IPv4 and DNS data, call your internet provider for assistance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have the proper network drivers for your hardware installed? This would depend on your motherboard (if the ethernet is integrated) or your card/device if not. If you go to control panel / Device Manager ... expand Network adapters ... right-click on the network connection & choose properties. Does it say device is working properly?

Remove your wireless router completely. Attach your modem directly to the computer. Are all the lights on on the modem?

Next type "fix network" in the start search & run the find & fix network. If necessary, contact your ISP for help setting up the connection.

Once you have an actual connection you can try to put your wireless router back in the loop. Follow the routers instructions. If needed call the router's support line - I know from experience Linksys & Belkin have very good help once you finally reach a technician (I have waited upwards of 45minutes on hold first).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have the proper network drivers for your hardware installed? This would depend on your motherboard (if the ethernet is integrated) or your card/device if not. If you go to control panel / Device Manager ... expand Network adapters ... right-click on the network connection & choose properties. Does it say device is working properly?

Remove your wireless router completely. Attach your modem directly to the computer. Are all the lights on on the modem?

Next type "fix network" in the start search & run the find & fix network. If necessary, contact your ISP for help setting up the connection.

Once you have an actual connection you can try to put your wireless router back in the loop. Follow the routers instructions. If needed call the router's support line - I know from experience Linksys & Belkin have very good help once you finally reach a technician (I have waited upwards of 45minutes on hold first).
Thanks for replying. It seems that i can't install any drivers because it keeps failing so im going to buy a network adapter card to try out.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you tell us more about your computer make/model or motherboard make model and whether you have W7 32 or 64-bit we can probably find the right network driver for you. I would discourage adding a network card until we rule out the other issues. Adding more hardware to a computer that already has issues rarely solves anything (this is not the same as replacing bad hardware obviously).

Reaction score
If you tell us more about your computer make/model or motherboard make model and whether you have W7 32 or 64-bit we can probably find the right network driver for you. I would discourage adding a network card until we rule out the other issues. Adding more hardware to a computer that already has issues rarely solves anything (this is not the same as replacing bad hardware obviously).
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Moab: Asus M3A78-CM
--Additional info--
4gb ram
nvidia 250gts
Amd Phenom 955

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went here. Notice there is a BIOS update Version 2601 from July, I definitely recommend that, but it doesn't mention it is a fix for ethernet connection, just possible video issues.

I couldn't see a LAN driver so maybe more info ...
Could you download and install SIW. Then run it.
Under Hardware ... PCI ... Find Ethernet in the list
I believe you will find something like PCIe Gigabit LAN driver but I need some Maker & #s or something to find the right driver

Clifford or TorrentG, do you know what would be the correct LAN driver for this mobo?

Reaction score
Thanks TG :)

For some reason I wasn't seeing the 8111 page on realtek.

Edit:
OK for some reason it is imposible to navigate the realtek site in search of network drivers without using the search feature. This I am not used too and do not have this problem finding audio drivers. However I now know this and will use the search feature next time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question