How to force taskbar live previews on a triple-screen setup?

Reaction score
I am using Windows 7 in 5040x1050 resolution using Matrox TripleHead2Go.

The problem is that taskbar live previews appear to be automatically disabled at this resolution (only windows titles are shown). When I am using 5040x1050, they look like this:

When I switch to 1280x800 notebook display, the previews look like this (notice that the thumbnail is shown):

I get live previews in 3360x1050 too. But 5040x1050 doesn't work.

Please help me force Windows to draw live previews with thumbnails at the 5040x1050 resolution. The DWM works at that res just fine - previews are visible in Flip3D and in Alt+Tab switching.

YT, Danila

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try running the Aero troubleshooter in triplehead mode please and see if it lists any problems?

Type "aero" in to the start menu search and then click "Find and Fix problems with transparency and other visual effects" once it appears. Click next and then see if the wizard displays any problems. It could be that there isn't enough video card memory to use 3 displays and provide full aero functionality.

Reaction score
Now what I want to know is how to enable that on mono- and dual-monitor setups. I hate the thumbnails.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now what I want to know is how to enable that on mono- and dual-monitor setups. I hate the thumbnails.
I'm not sure how to force enable it, but I do know how to disable it ;)

Browse to the following location in RegEdit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Then create a new DWORD called "DisablePreviewWindow" with a value of 1. You'll probably need to restart to get it working. :)

Reaction score
Hi, Ian! I tried the troobleshooter and it didn't find anything wrong. BTW, the Windows Experience Index is 4,9 for graphics and 4,8 for gaming graphics.

I wonder, can there be an entry in the registry to force the previews on...

Reaction score
UltraMon is really for several monitors. In this case the monitors appear as a single monitor to Windows. Only Matrox drivers know it's really 3 different monitors by communicating through USB with the box. UltraMon is unlikely to help (I know about it - I have used it in the past).

Danila

Have you looked at UltraMon for your taskbar ?

Link > http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It may work in compat mode, thing to do is ask the company

Windows 7 > http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp

Reaction score
Taskbar on the left

Troubleshooter and registry didn't help.

However, I found another interesting fact. When I move the taskbar to the left side of the screen, the previews are shown even in the 5040x1050 resolution. But not when the taskbar is at the bottom.

What could it mean? What should I try to fix it?

Danila

Ask a Question