How to downgrade to the Windows 7 32-bit version from th 64-bit version

Reaction score
I just ought a couple laptops loaded with the Windows 7 Home Premium 6-bit OS and now realized most of the old applications don't install/run at all. How do I downgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7, without paying for another OS?

Reaction score
1). Microsoft don't make 6bit OS's any more
2). It's impossible to downgrade from 6bit to 32bit

3). I think what you mean is can you downgrade from 64 bit to 32 bit.
4). I will find out.:confused::)

Reaction score
I found it. You can't do it for free. You have to buy the 32 bit, one for each computer and do a custom advanced install. or you can upgrade you progams with compatible ones or find updates and patches for them.

I had 32 bit WinXP and upgraded to 64 bit Win7 and and 99.90% of my programs work strait off no problems except for Anti-Virus programs and Drivers.

My point is that 32 bit programs should work with 64 bit OS's, again not drivers though. which in this case you need 64 bit ones.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Sadly, it turns out that the sony VAIO notebook model I have (VGN-NW175F) can only support the 64-bit version of the OS. I am told that some models can support both versions. Back to square 1 it seems.

Reaction score
Can you try to run the programs in XP Comptiblity Mode (Not XP Mode) He's how to run them in XP compatibility mode. Right click on the program icon, select properties, select program campatibility, select run this program in compatibility mode for check box and select XP or Vista depending on the program. Then click apply and the OK.

See if that works.:)

This process just tricks the software it's running on an older version of windows. Again the 32 bit software will work on 64 bit OS's unless the software is dud.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just ought a couple laptops loaded with the Windows 7 Home Premium 6-bit OS and now realized most of the old applications don't install/run at all. How do I downgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7, without paying for another OS?
You should try a few things before you concider downgrading the OS.
  1. Turn off UAC features - https://www.w7forums.com/configure-windows-7-uac-t1553.html (I've had a few programs that would not install with this feature turned on)
  2. Try XP or Vista Compatibility - https://www.w7forums.com/application-compatibility-mode-t314.html (I have one program that needed Vista Combatibility)
Sadly, it turns out that the sony VAIO notebook model I have (VGN-NW175F) can only support the 64-bit version of the OS. I am told that some models can support both versions. Back to square 1 it seems.
I think you have it backward, It's the 32-Bit machines that can only support the 32-Bit OS. The 64-Bit machines can support both OS.

Reaction score
I think you have it backward, It's the 32-Bit machines that can only support the 32-Bit OS. The 64-Bit machines can support both OS.
I think what he means is that the only configuration Sony sells these laptops in is 64 bit versions of windows 7.
Sounds just like Sony to me.

There is no quick and easy downgrage option to 32 bit from 64 bit. However, all of your laptop hardware is supported on 64-bit, and apart from Microsoft Office Groove live file/folder sharing and Onenote's insert file as print out(s) features, I've yet to come across an application that doesn't work fine on 64 bit.

The only way to get a 32 bit OS on that laptop is to do a clean install of one, and that means you need to get a copy of one and a license for it. You might be able to get one from Sony for free... It's definitely worth a try.

Another option (which again involves paying for an upgrade) is to upgrade your version of 7 to professional, which offers XP Mode (which will basically install XP 32-bit on a virtual machine, and allow you to run applications out of it on your regular operating system). Anything that worked on Windows XP is also supposed to work in XP Mode on windows 7.
For example, Office Groove live folder sharing does work when installed in XP Mode on my 64-bit windows 7 ultimate installation (still not an ideal setup though... Microsoft is said to release Office 2010 in the summer, which will supposedly finally support 64 bit systems).

Personally I'm not a big fan of either of the above options.

May I ask which applications you're having issues with?

Many applications with older installers simply have issues installing on windows 7 (and sometimes running) because of the new file and directory structure and permissions, but these can be solved sometimes by:
1. Running them as an administrator (right click on shortcut and choose Run as Administrator.
2. Running them in compatibility mode for another version of windows (95-Vista sp2)
3. Some applications that have issues with the permissions settings for Program files and Program Data directories can be resolved by changing the permissions for their individual installation/data directories.

The bottom line is, however, that most applications can be installed/run on windows 7 64-bit. It would be much easier to help with the installation and setup of each application individually (and like Coco said, most 32 bit applications do work fine in 64 bit).

Reaction score
Hello Attaamiri,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
The architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Reaction score
Downgrading from 64Bit to 32Bit pre-installed on Dell Vostro

Hi,
Am about to take delivery of Dell Vostro PC's with Windows 7 Professional pre-installed which will presumably be 64 Bit by default.

We need to use an old application and I am told that this will only work successfully using 32 Bit windows 7 in compatibility mode, since it was designed for XP. I am told that testing has shown that the app is not recommended for use on 64 Bit.

I am left with 3 options and I'm not sure which way to go at the moment:

1) Try to get the app running on 64 Bit install
2) Install Windows XP Mode and run the app in a virtual XP environment. I am told there is an overhead with this though. The new machines have 3GB RAM.
3) Re-install windows from the Recovery DVD and select the 32 Bit option. I am worried about doing this on brand new machines as I don't know how much will need re-installing and don't want to mess up other bits which work.

My gut feel is to try XP Mode but don't know how cumbersome this is to run. The app has a limited lifespan anyway. If there was an easy way to switch everything to 32 bit then I'd take that, but it seems risky at the moment. Any opinions or advice welcome.Thanks

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
HI Andy! The "Windows XP mode" virtual machine should be able to meet your needs just fine. Windows 7 can reduce itself down to <700MB of memory usage if required, and XP should need less than 1GB for most legacy applications.

I'd be a little surprised if those Dell Vostro PC's shipped with only 3GB of RAM and Windows 7 64bit though, Dell at least used to offer 32bit Windows on machines with <4GB of memory.

Reaction score
Thanks Cougar. I will probably try XP Mode as the machines won't be running much else. The spec stated that 64 Bit is installed but I will check before going ahead just in case 32 Bit has been installed.
Andy

Reaction score
One more thing.
When I install my app inside the XP "virtual machine" does it have access to my network connection and printer etc which have been set up in Windows 7, or would I need to add those again inside XP? In other words does the XP environment have access to things in the Windows 7 environment? Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Andy, please note that the original post is over a year old and that at least some of the information provided in the old posts is not exactly accurate; specifically, it is in fact possible to switch from 64-bit to 32-bit for free. But as Kougar has mentioned even if it is 64-bit you can usually use a virtual environment to run the old 16-bit software in an XP environment.

If you should decide to actually change your system from 64-bit to 32-bit then it will require that you get the 32-bit OS (which can be downloaded from Microsoft, see HERE) but it requires a complete reinstall of the exact same edition you have a license for (example 64-bit Home Premium key works also on 32-bit Home Premium but will not work with 32-bit Professional or Ultimate).

And if you switch, it is a good idea to download 32-bit drivers from the manufacturer first because 64-bit drivers are usually not the same (W7 automatically downloads most drivers but what if the missing driver is your NIC card which provides internet connectivity for example, so that is why it's safest to get them ahead of time and burn them to a CD)

One further warning: manufacturers often load their computers with additional software (90-day trial of an anti-virus, 60-day trial of Microsoft office, Wild Tangent games, etc) and they are compensated for loading this extra crap - none of that will be included in the true Microsoft ISO links. For the most part this is actually healthier for your computer to not have all this addition junk clogging your registry and making it bigger (as well as taking more HD space) but usually they also have one or two pieces of software that are actually useful, such as an on screen display when you change the volume; you will need to either get this from the manufacturer, find a replacement, or do without if you wish to use the true Microsoft ISO. It may also be possible to buy the manufacturers 32-bit version from them, for a price, and this may be worth it to some users.

And YES, if the virtual XP environment is properly set up, including loading the XP drivers as needed, then your printer will work and it can access your internet connection, usb ports, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have heard that the recovery DVD included with Win7 Professional includes both 32 & 64 Bit versions. However, I don't know if the Dell CD will be customised to the particular PC, e,g to include all the Dell support tools etc. I think I will try Win XP Mode first and only if that doesn't work will I then go for a re-install on 32 Bit as a last resort.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the machine comes with W7 preinstalled then it normally only has either 32 OR 64-bit, not BOTH. Most do not even include a DVD at all but instead you have to burn it yourself from the preinstalled machine (which I highly encourage you to do so you have it).

If you buy an OEM version, it also normally only comes with one bit size or the other, not both.

If you actually buy the Full or Upgrade versions then THOSE do usually come with both bit versions.

Reaction score
Please i need your help .
I have a problems INSTALL of application 16 bits . I have a laptop with WINDOWS 7 64 bits , i have downgrade from it to WINDOW 7 32 bits and i try to install application 16 bits but i can not .
Thanks

Ask a Question