How to delete old files etc without full wipe and re-install

Reaction score
Hi

I have a HP Compaq CQ61 Pressario that has been running well for 5 years.

It has recently started to run slow on start-up and also when browsing the web. Not excessively slow, but slower than normal. I spoke to a local computer store who informed me that it will need the operating system wiping and then re-installing to erase all the temporary files, deleted files etc etc that the computer has built up over the years.

I was wondering if there is a simpler way to do this without needing to wipe and install everything back on. The reason being is that I don't have a clue where most of my install disks are and don't have the time either. It has 4gb of RAM so I understand this is sufficient for it not to run too slow but I am not the most advanced when it comes to computers.

I have run CCleaner and removed a lot of the start-up programs from starting to speed up the start-up. I have also had it pass over the drive 3 times to clear free space.

Is it possible for someone to provide me with the filepath where files/programs etc are stored on the computer after deleting and also when downloading?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I will answer your question but read below before you bother...

Your files are in a hidden directory under C:\users\<your login name here>.

The easiest way to access it is to open windows explorer and in the folder path (not the search box) type %userprofile% and hit enter.

However when you get there you will probably not have access. In order to change/delete you would have to take ownership. This can be extremely dangerous as you can mess up folders where the registry expects to find things.

READ THIS...
If ccleaner did not help then it is highly unlikely anything you would delete from your folders will help.

Files merely sit there so unless it is a space issue, which is unlikely, then it is running things that must be stopped. What you need to do is lessen the number of programs running, especially auto-updates like google. And if browsers are running slow then remove add-ons ... test this by running safe mode/in-private browsing.

One of the biggest causes of slow-downs is anti-virus software. Try uninstalling and see if the change is significant, if so then try a different AV.

Reaction score
Thanks. It does seem to be on startup so maybe I should try doing the auto updates. How do I do this please?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The easiest way is to use a tool in ccleaner ...
Go to Tools > Startup and see what is listed in the Windows tab.

Screenshot & post it here if possible if you would like recommendations.

If you see anything from Google or Adobe I suggest you start by disabling those.

Ask a Question