How much would you pay for a boxed retail copy of Windows 7 Professional?

Reaction score
hey thx for the link...

I voted I would pay between 100 -150 for it

I think if the prices were lower.... more people would actually buy it and not go for the piracy factor...

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, guys. :) I wrote that article.

Reaction score
i wud be happy to give 50 bucks for a license ( not the boxed retail version )

Reaction score
I try to keep the work I do there and the work I do here very separate. It's important to me that people know that the work I do here is for Ian and done on my own power because I love Windows 7. :)

I appreciate that someone has linked to my work, though. I really do.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good article Thrax :D

I voted for $150-200, which works out at around £100 for me in the UK. That sounds about the sort of amount I'd pay for the Professional version, but not if it was more than that.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I went with the $101 - $150 and that's the one getting the lions share of the votes.

Reaction score
i voted 150-200... which i think will never happen..... if ms wants to convert all of those xp users they better price this right...

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
There's no reason Microsoft has for raising the cost of Windows 7 above that of Windows Vista. It's been 23 years since their profits took a plunge, but even then they still turned a profit despite the recession this latest quarter. And also despite the poor rate of Windows Vista adoption and despite the ongoing huge warranty costs of their Xbox 360 platform. http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/23/technology/microsoft_earnings/index.htm?postversion=2009042316

Ars Technica has this interesting article about subscription based pricing. I'm not a fan of paying annually just for the privilege of use, but if done right it could save users money in the long run. Link

Along those thoughts, there is always a Technet Subscription. While the EULA disallows Operating System downloads to be used in a production environment, for profit, and they obviously can't be sold, the Technet Subscription route seems to have some good advantages. The key is good for up to 10 installs, so if you frequently build then rebuild systems it'll last a good while without requiring phone re-activation hassles. If a new OS comes out then you don't have to buy it all over again, just shelve the old one and upgrade at no cost. Of course $350 a year is still a tad much, but knock that down some and it starts becoming quite reasonable as opposed to paying $150 for a one-time use OEM copy of Vista Business that is tied to the motherboard.

Reaction score
you know what i think brusse01 your right, if microsoft wasnt so uptight with the prices people would mind paying $100 or $150 for a copy. but when you buy something that doesnt even come complete and has blue screens and problems and bugs and is not fully stable until after at least 2 service packs what do they expect. look at vista hahaha what happened with that. shit operating system, everyone upgraded from vista to xp it wasnt even called a downgrade lol, but yeah windows 7 looks a bit better. if microsoft pulls there head in. and doesnt release windows millenium 3 lol, :p, but yeah $600-700 they rekon for windows 7 ultimate pffffffffft yeah someone is tugging on something... lol

Reaction score
when is it suppose to even come out... some people are saying september 2009 and others are saying 2010 jan/feb ??? well ???

Ask a Question