SOLVED How much space is needed??

Reaction score
I have HDD of 5oo GB(though I get 457 GB)....still seems big to fill!!!
Still I didnot make no backup.I want to know to know to create back up how much space is needed for my 316 GB data.My computer always asks me to insert removable media for this reason.What type of removable media does it want?If I use DVD-R how much do I need?How much time will it take to crate back up as far as my system configuration is concerned?
REGARDS:
mistu4u

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
A 500GB hard drive will show 465GB when the drive is empty, with nothing on it.

So therefore it looks like your Windows 7 operating system is taking up about 8GB of that drive.

Removable media usually is CD or DVD discs, but it may also refer to external USB drives, Smart Media cards, etc.

If you want a free app to backup your system, I would recommend Macrium Reflect Free. Fast and user-friendly GUI.

Reaction score
I want to know numerically how much space is needed......(How much inMB or GB) so taht in the mean time there are enough removable media and space in my hand!!!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
An educated guess would be between 20 and 30 single layer dvd's based on using the program Niburu suggested at a high compression rate.

Different compression rates make it hard to give you an exact # of GB's.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can I specify which parts I want to back up by the software Macrium Reflect Free?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Can I specify which parts I want to back up by the software Macrium Reflect Free?
I have not used this program in some time. I know you can image a partition or an entire drive. As for individual files or folders, maybe Niburu or Catilly can answer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My C: 450GB partition is taking 295GB in backup on my external F: Drive using Windows 7 Backup utility (142GB system & 153GB my data)

If you go to control panel \ Backup and Restore it will recommend about 182GB for the system backup. Also the backup should be on a seperate physical HD than your OS, not just a partition on the same drive.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
mistu4u, welcome to the forum! Macrium Reflect is one of the best free backup solutions on the market, but it's mainly a disc imaging program, meaning that you can backup entire partitions or discs with it.

I've read the thread, do you have a backup drive of any kind? Even a spare drive that you can buy a case for, mabye $20 or so? It would plug in by USB or eSATA, depending on what your computer has. If you have an eSATA port, a case with an eSATA port would be better.

My point is, it would take a lot of CD's to backup your computer, you could easily reach 100 or more of them. If you're going that route, DVD's would be better, because they hold more. But an external drive of some sort would be far better for you. WD & Seagate makes good ones, and if you have one of theirs, you can get a free version of Acronis True Image, although it's not the full version, it's among the best that you can get. So is Macrium.

As far as just backing up files goes, the backup that comes with Windows 7 allows you to backup what you want. For example, if you're running OEM (a new computer), you have a recovery partition, as well as a way to burn recovery discs, so you may not want to backup your OS, just your personal files. But a full partition backup is better, in my opinion. All of your programs, files and whatever else you have is preserved.

Hopefully, my post has been of some help to you, and should you need further assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Cat

Ask a Question