How do I sync Windows 7 Home Premium with Windows 8.1

Reaction score
I've just reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium on an old(er) laptop and was kind of hoping when I brought up IE11, it would have all my websites saved on it.
I'm in the correct Microsoft Account and thought when I started IE11, it would have the same as I have on this Windows 8 computer, but it does not.
Can someone point out how I can get the Windows 7 computer to sync with my account so I'll have my websites that I have on the Windows 8 computer also on the Windows 7 computer.

Reaction score
Ok people, everybody please stand down. I just called Microsoft and they joyfully informed me that I cannot sync between Windows 8 or 8.1 and Windows 7 Home Premium. It was very traumatic but in the end, yes, all should be ok. It takes time to get over these things, but a couple Starbucks and one forgets the whole episode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am fairly certain you can easily copy your favorites though there may not be a sync utility to do it. I would put an empty USB stick in your Win 8 machine. Then locate the Favorites folder and copy it's contents including subfolders to your USB drive. Then plug the USB stick into your Windows 7 machine and delete what you have in the favorites folder and then copy everything from the USB stick into your Win 7 Favorites. At that point your favorites should match.

Then manually set your homepage to the same as the one you use in Windows 8 and also install the same toolbars, search providers, & accelerators.

At that point it should look and feel the same on both machines.

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer. I've done something close to what you have said - I had the Bookmarks saved on a backup drive, so I copied them onto my Windows 7 unit and took what bookmarks I wanted up on my Favourites Bar and bingo.
I was surprised though that I could not sync the Windows 7 unit with my Microsoft account and there, like a Windows 8 unit, automatically bring up my icons to the Favourites Bar.
Anyway, the way you explain it here is very good. Thanks!

Ask a Question