How do I connect to the TV with HDMI?

Reaction score
I have a Win7 64 bit, with a HDMI connection. I have a Sony Bravia TV, also with HDMI connection. It is connected to the router with a cat5 cable.
I was hoping to be able to use the TV as another monitor, to connect to all the drives on my network (besides the Win7 computer, I have some NAS drives and a laptop) I plugged in the HDMI cable. The TV could sort of see a HDMI connection, allowed me to rename it, but it can't actually see anything. The Win7 PC can't see the TV either.
I thought there may be a problem with the cable, but tried connecting it to the laptop and it then could see the laptop. So, seems the problem is with the Win7.
It is a brand new computer, so I have no idea what to check. I Googled it and found this:
"So it's not the cable and not the TV. Chances are it's the video card. Either it's a faulty port or there's some software error. Try uninstalling your video driver through device manager, rebooting, reinstalling the driver, and then rebooting one last time. If you can't get hdmi to the tv or the monitor after that, the problem is in the video cards hdmi port."
As it is a brand new computer, I am not sure if that is a good idea. What do you think?
I am not terribly technically minded, so if the above description is not correct, please go easy on me

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
The most likely reason is that you simply haven't enabled the HDTV in your Windows 7 graphics drivers.

What video card is in the machine? Since it's new you will probably want to update your GPU drivers anyway. For NVIDIA cards, the HDTV is not automatically enabled. YOU must enable it within this control panel screen. AMD graphics cards probably operate similarly. Laptops have a Fn button on the keyboard that does this, but for desktops you need to use the driver control panel.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if it is a brand new computer then I'd think you want to know if the HDMI port is bad so that you can return it as defective.

Is this other computer connected to a monitor AND the Bravia? If so then you will likely have to configure it to use the Bravia as a second monitor. Right-click on the desktop and choose Screen Resolution. There if you hit the down carat you should see the Bravia as the second monitor; make sure the resolution for the Bravia is one it can handle. And then to control where display goes hit the Windows Key + P to set up the presentation and choose Duplicate (to show on both) or Projector (to show only on the second monitor).

If that is not the solution then ...

I'm a little confused. You have a Win7 64-bit what ... second laptop? home theater PC? desktop? Specify make and model please.

And the TV is connected to the router? If it is, fine, but that shouldn't have anything to do with your HDMI connection so I'm confused why you mention that.

Reaction score
Ok. I have a Win7 64bit, new PC. Also have an old laptop, that has been upgraded from Vista to Win7 32bit. The new computer doesn't have a separate graphics card. This computer is connected to a ViewSonic monitor and connected to the Bravia TV with the HDMI cable. The laptop is connected to the LAN with cat5 cable (it also has a wireless card)

The TV is connected to the router. The only reason I mentioned that is that I thought that once I did that, I should be able to see the network, but that is not the case. The only thing that does is allows me to a.) watch online content (like iView) and b.) see what I recorded with Windows Media Centre.on the PC

17-10-2013 15-28-00.png
17-10-2013 14-56-59.png

Attachments

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
If you try the Detect button with the HDTV already turned on and connected via HDMI, does it still not detect it?

If so then it MAY be a defective port or cable however unlikely that is. With the HDTV connected and turned on, I'd suggest checking the Device Manager for any problem-marked devices as well.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You say, "The new computer doesn't have a separate graphics card." In other words you are using the video connections from the motherboard and it has an HDMI output (to your Bravia) as well as a DVI or VGA to your Viewsonic.

Could you try something? ...
Shut down the new computer. Disconnect the ViewSonic cable from the back of the new computer. Make sure your Bravia is turned on and set to HDMI input. Then boot your computer and see if it comes up with the Bravia as your primary monitor.

What I am wondering is if your computer is limited to a single graphics option at a time and that the connection the ViewSonic is plugged into gets priority.

Also could you please tell us the make and model of your new pc (or if custom then the make and model of the motherboard)?

Reaction score
If you try the Detect button with the HDTV already turned on and connected via HDMI, does it still not detect it?

If so then it MAY be a defective port or cable however unlikely that is. With the HDTV connected and turned on, I'd suggest checking the Device Manager for any problem-marked devices as well.
The above picture is what happens after I click the detect button. Before I clicked on that , it was just showing the monitor. Just checked the device manager, no problem-marked devices.
I don't think it is the cable, as we tested that with the laptop

Reaction score
You say, "The new computer doesn't have a separate graphics card." In other words you are using the video connections from the motherboard and it has an HDMI output (to your Bravia) as well as a DVI or VGA to your Viewsonic.

Shut down the new computer. Disconnect the ViewSonic cable from the back of the new computer. Make sure your Bravia is turned on and set to HDMI input. Then boot your computer and see if it comes up with the Bravia as your primary monitor.

What I am wondering is if your computer is limited to a single graphics option at a time and that the connection the ViewSonic is plugged into gets priority.

Also could you please tell us the make and model of your new pc (or if custom then the make and model of the motherboard)?
For the experiment, I will need to wait for a friend to come over, as I am suffering from vertigo ATM, so can't crawl under the desk.
The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Are you using Windows native drivers, or drivers from Intel?

Reaction score
Are you using Windows native drivers, or drivers from Intel?
Hmmm. Sorry, I don't know how to answer this. I had the box built, didn't change any of the settings or drivers, and not even sure how to check which drivers are being used. I suspect it would be which ever is the default.

Meanwhile, I filled out the systems profile, although I would have sworn I did that before

Reaction score
Having slept on it, I realised that I can get that info from Device Manager. So, here it is

21-10-2013 17-28-45.png

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I wonder if this thread applies to your case. If you install the latest driver from Intel for your HD4600, but don't reboot, do you get a picture via HDMI then?

Reaction score
I wonder if this thread applies to your case. If you install the latest driver from Intel for your HD4600, but don't reboot, do you get a picture via HDMI then?
Clicking on the link, I got this - wasn't sure if it was safe to go on

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to communities.intel.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

If you understand what's going on, you can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification. Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's hosted by Intel so I have no trouble trusting it.

That message is likely coming from your anti-virus software or a malware add-in you have added to Firefox. Basically they rate sites for your safety and then you have to take responsibly when clicking on certain links or downloading files. You will also likely find that sites where you can download freeware are considered "red"/dangerous because any time you download/install things to your computer there is some risk involved.

Always be mindful of where you are and what you are letting onto your computer. Just like my little disclaimer on the bottom of my posts ... I am recommending the information on the site not any free scans or downloads they offer. Personally I use a huge hosts file and spam blockers so I probably see less than 10% of the ads most people see when they go to linked sites.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Intel's certification is valid until November 2014. Update your root certificates.

Reaction score
Shut down the new computer. Disconnect the ViewSonic cable from the back of the new computer. Make sure your Bravia is turned on and set to HDMI input. Then boot your computer and see if it comes up with the Bravia as your primary monitor.)?
Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had all sorts of problems going on. I did try as you suggest, didn't work. :-(

Reaction score
In my research it seems you are not the only person that seems to have issues with the Bravia. I suggest your first step be to make sure your Bravia is updated to the latest firmware.
Thank you for that... My Bravia is set to update the firmware automatically and has done so a few times, although not for a few months. But this gives me the idea to phone them back, because I tried that as the first option, and they fobbed me off, telling me it was a computer problem, nothing to do with them. I checked on their website, I do have the latest firmware
This is the info:
2013-11-06 02.23.24.jpg

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to THIS the last update was June 26th, 2013 and it was the 4.021 so I guess that's not it.

I don't know what else to tell you :(

Ask a Question