SOLVED How do I connect a laptop to my Desktop PC so that both have Internet access?.

Reaction score
I have a desktop PC with Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS connected to the Internet via a cable modem from my Virgin Media ISP. My son would like to be able to acquire internet access to his Windows Vista OS laptop when visiting. Given that although I am not completely PC illiterate I am by no means an expert although probably better than most pensioners. Could someone either explain in a simple manner or point me to a tutorial or such on how I can achieve this and what I would need in the way of cables, extra equipment etc. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You will need a router and if your son wishes to have internet access untethered, (no cables) then you will need a wireless router. The router would be installed between your cable modem and your PC. A typical router will have the ability to have 4 wired computers connected in addition to wireless capabilities.

If you Google routers or wireless routers you will come up with many suggestions and diagrams. Then it's off to the store you go.

Good luck and post back if you need help with the set up.

Reaction score
Firstly thanks for the reply Yodap, I don't have a router at present but I do have a Mercury KOB SDH8P - 8 port 10/100 Mbps - Fast Ethernet Switch. This was left over from a previous situation when my daughter was living at home and we had two Win XP computers running on the one connection, but one of her PC savvy friends set that up and I don't know how it was put together. Can the above mentioned Switch be used in stead of a router and how would it all couple together?.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it would work because it's not a router. But it would be very easy to try on your computer.
Plug the switch in. disconnect the cable from your pc and plug that into one of the jacks on the switch. Then run another cable from the switch to your computer. Check your internet connection.
That switch is obviously not wireless so your son's laptop will need to be connected in the same manner.
Is this your switch?

http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-d...ng&subtitle=Networking Products&productid=100

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Basically, you just turn off the modem, the computer and the ethernet switch.

Plug the cable from the modem into port 1 on switch and the first computer into port 2.

Power up the modem and wait for the LEDs to quit blinking, etc., then power up the ethernet switch and then the first computer. You should be able to connect then with no issues.

After you've ensured you're connecting okay, then with the notebook computer off, plug it into port 3 and power it up and make sure you're able to connect with it too.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies people. I followed Nibiru2012's advice and it worked a treat. Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies people. I followed Nibiru2012's advice and it worked a treat. Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated.
Good deal bluesjunior! You will be receiving a bill for setup consulting fees in the mail in about 30 days. Terms are: less 2/10 net 20. LOL! :D JK!

That was easy peasy, lemon squeezy now wasn't it?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I guess wireless connectivity was never an option.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was thinking along with you on that, yodap. If I was in a pinch, that would be OK, but I'd rather go wireless with a notebook. Unless it was for security reasons (wireless packets can be intercepted easily).

Wireless routers are very affordable these days. From $20 & up, depending on one's needs & budget.

Cat

Ask a Question