How can I disable font smoothing in Win7?


D

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

I would like to temporarily disable font smoothing, but I cannot find
the option (if it exists). I am not talking about ClearType. That is
something else.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave-UK

Dave "Crash" Dummy said:
I would like to temporarily disable font smoothing, but I cannot find
the option (if it exists). I am not talking about ClearType. That is
something else.
Right-click Computer > Properties.
Advanced System settings.
Performance > Settings.
Smooth edges of screen fonts.
 
A

Andy

Dave \"Crash\" Dummy said:
I would like to temporarily disable font smoothing, but I cannot find
the option (if it exists). I am not talking about ClearType. That is
something else.

Go to the Fonts control panel,

Click the "Adjust Cleartype text" and uncheck "Turn on Cleartype" to
disable font smoothing. Click the "Next" buttons through the next few
dialog boxes to get to the "Finish" button. You DON'T have to make "better
or worse" choices. That's for when you reactivate Cleartype again.

Andy
 
D

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Dave-UK said:
Right-click Computer > Properties.
Advanced System settings.
Performance > Settings.
Smooth edges of screen fonts.
Thank you. That's the one I wanted.
 
A

Andy

Dave-UK said:
Right-click Computer > Properties.
Advanced System settings.
Performance > Settings.
Smooth edges of screen fonts.

This change kicked me into Aero mode and lost all my Classic colors and
custom settings! :(

Andy
 
D

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Andy said:
This change kicked me into Aero mode and lost all my Classic colors
and custom settings! :(
I run my computer in Windows Classic display. No Aero. Unchecking this
option didn't kick me into anything. It just disabled font smoothing,
leaving sharp two color edges on fonts, which is exactly what I wanted.
I have since reenabled it without any adverse or unexpected effects.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top