SOLVED Hoping to solve "Open With" problem

Reaction score
If I open a file (that looks like blank paper), with .ppt or Windows Picture & Fax, the other icons on the desk top will change to whatever I used to open the one file; i.e. .ppt or Windows Picture & Fax. I don't know why they changed. I would hate to think I have a broken PC. I brought only three weeks ago directly from HP.

Hope somebody with Win 7 experience can help.

Thanks in advance.

Mimi

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
When you select open with, and go to the choose default program... there's a little check box towards the bottom left that says "always use this program for this file type". Make sure that isn't ticked.

Reaction score
Mimi, I'm not confident this will work as it's not directly your problem but it's not hard to change the setting back if it does not work.
Go orb > control panel > personalization > desktop icon settings then untick the box (if's it ticked) to allow themes to alter desktop icons.

Mike

Reaction score
Open With Programs

To Mike & Elmer BeFuddled:

I did change it with instructions from another source, but wasn't able to print it. How do I change the program to a .jpeg, .jpg, etc.

Thanks.

Mimi

Reaction score
Open with has nothing to do with print capabilities. If you are having trouble printing, making changes to file associations will not help.

Changing file associations is selecting a default application to open your files. If you are having trouble printing, then the application or printer needs to be setup correctly or possibly re-installed.

Reaction score
Sorry but isn't the question as to why desktop icons are changing or have I misunderstood the question. :eek:

Reaction score
Hi Mike & Elmer,

I will try it and see how it works.

Thanks again.

Mimi

Reaction score
Elmer Befuddled, Mike, and Clifford Cooley

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I didn't know about "ticking" or "unticking" a program icon in the "Open With" Box.

I am not having a printer problem; it is with the icons changing on the desk top, but thanks just the same.

Mimi

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not having a printer problem
I'm guessing printer was assumed when HP was mentioned.

You might run a thorough scan for malware too.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will try your instructions and let you know how it works. I hadn't noticed there was a check box indicating which one to use with the "open with" instructions.

Thanks again.

Mimi

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I will try your instructions and let you know how it works.
Who marked the thread as "Solved"? Is it? If so, what was the corrective action?

Reaction score
I didn't see any check box indicating which one to use with the "open with" instructions; however, I did manage to convert one of those "blank page" icons with Windows Photo View, without the other icons changing on me.

What does a "ticked" (or unticked) icon look like in the "Open With" Program?

Thanks.

Mimi

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The "Open With" box looks like this. See the box bottom left? But I am not clear what you mean by a ticked or unticked "Icon"

OpenWith.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
To Davehc:

Thanks for your help with the "open with" check box. I thought each icon had to have a check mark; I saw the box with the actual check mark near the lower left corner.

Mimi

Ask a Question