" SOLVED " Win 7 64 Freezes At Startup Logo

Reaction score
Can anyone please help. I have reloaded Windows 7 64 to clean things up and have a fresh installation, then it for some reason has started freezing at the Windows Logo splash. It continued to do it so I did a secure erase and reloaded again and it's doing the same thing. When it freezes I have to manually power off and power it back on to get it to go into windows. Can someone please help with correcting this issue.

Ultra X4 750 PSU
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
16 GB Corsair Vengenance 1866
Kingston Hyper X 240GB SSD
Corsair H100 Cooler

Reaction score
No definitive solution for you. Just some troubleshooting suggestions.......

After you have managed to get into Windows...............
1.Do a full virus scan.
Recommend that you use Malwarebytes free edition for the job.

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found. sfc /scannow.

3. Run a disk check to find/repair bad sectors etc. chkdsk /f/r

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would probably put in the W7 Installation DVD and in the bottom corner try the "system repair" option to see if that helps.

Reaction score
I have tried both options. SFC returned no errors, bot Startup Repair did return errors but could not repair. I did another Secure Erase and reloaded the operating system, it's still doing the same thing. Please help, could this be the Kingston Hyper X SSD Failing

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes it's the same " Non SP1 Version " that i had originally purchased and its fully updated to SP1. I have used this same installation on this computer without any issues until i did a secure erase of my ssd and reloaded the os.

Attachments

Reaction score
Ok, nothing is helping. I ordered a new kingston HyperX 240GB SSD. I installed a copy of Win7 SP1 and it's still doing the same thing. It randomly freezes at the windows splash screen during the boot process, I then have to manually power off the computer and reboot. Once I reboot it will go into windows with no issues. It doesn't freeze at all times, just random freezes at windows splash screen during bootup. Once in windows everything is great. Can someone please help me figure out what the problem may be. I really want to get this corrected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you have more in your computer than indicated, 750W PSU should be ample power. In fact, even if you have a single video card you should be fine; two video cards then you might need more power.

And those specific voltages aren't an issue, 3.28V is close enough to 3.3V.

What could be an issue is the memory timings/voltages or even the specific RAM chips you are using. Generally this is not an issue if you bought a factory built computer, but for custom built machines you should test the RAM using Memtest86+ for 6 to 10 passes (overnight). First verify you have RAM that is correct for your motherboard and that you have the timings and voltage set correctly for the bus speed you are using. If you are then run the memtest; if it comes back clear it is not a guarantee but if it shows problems then that is most likely the trouble.

Reaction score
I purchased the parts and built back in August of last year. The computer has been working great until the last two weeks. The computer is used for Audio & Video editing. As I stated I contacted Kingston, they told me that the drive was failing, so I had the SSD replaced and the same issues exist. I ran " Memtest86 " for a total of 6 passes with no issues or errors. The computer is running all stock settings and has not been overclocked at all. Please just take a look below and tell me if I could possibly be maxing out my power supply. I have listed everything I can think of. This computer has been great since i built in August of 2013, problems just started a couple weeks back, with no changes made to the computer.

Cooler Master HAF 932
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350 125W
Corsair Vengenance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R " 4 X 4GB "
Galaxy Geforce GTX 650 TI Boost 2GB PCI
Corsair Hydro H100 CPU Cooler " Push - Pull "
240GB Kingston HyperX SH100S3240G
1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003-9YN162
1TB Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1
" 5 " Optical Drives " Lite-on LH-20A1L "
Ultra X4 750W Modular V2

All Fans Listed Below

" 4 " 230 X 30 Fans
" 5 " 140 x 25

Lights Listed Below

" 1 " Kingwin CCLT-12WT 12" Cold Cathode Light
" 2 " 12" Led Strips

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools & Select Event Viewer. Do you see any critical events related to power loss? You said you haven't made any hardware changes (except swapping out the SSD) so why do you suspect power issues when it had worked fine for 6 mos?

Have you checked to see if there are any DMP files?

I think it might be a good idea to turn on Driver Verifier to see if it detects any issues. So run Verifier.exe then reboot. I'm not an expert with this tool but I notice a "!analyze –v" option I hope might tell you something.

Reaction score
The reason for mentioning the power supply is that i had starting getting random shut down and reboot for no reason and it would also randomly freeze at the windows start screen, once restarted it was fine then i would get a random reboot again, so thats when i did a secure erase on the ssd drive and reloaded the operating system. The random reboots seem to have stopped but for now but it is constantantly freezing while trying to load windows. I have ran memtest on each stick for 6 passes and i did find that one stick was showing errors so i pulled it a little while ago.i took one 4gb stick and seated in a2 slot as it calls for and i still get the freeze ups at startup. i changed that stick to another and i get the same freeze up.i'm not saying that its the power supply. I installed a new ssd and isolated the memory stick with errors and i am just trying to figure out what the cause may be. there is a freshly installed os on the drive and i still get the issues. i also asked about the power supply trying to figure out if it was capable of running the hardware attached without issues. as i stated im just trying to figure this out as i need my computer for school and work

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you check out the Event Viewer to see if it mentions any power issues?

Shintaro

Reaction score
I see that you are on the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Great!. Boy have ASUS fixed a lot of stability problems or as they like to say it "Improve System Stability".

1/ So according to Memory support list from ASUS your memory CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R is only supported in 2 x 4Gb (Quote from document: 2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the beige slots or the brown slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration). So may I suggest that you reduce your memory for the time being.

2/ Remove all hardware that is not needed, for example the extra hard drives. Use the Seagate Drive at the moment until you can get things going correctly.

OR

If you must use the SSD as the Windows Drive make sure that the SATA port that the SSD is on, is set to IDE BEFORE you install the OS. (See p. 3-21 / Section 3.5.4 of your user manual)
In any case ONLY have a single Drive connected until you get things going.

Suggestion: Check your 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003-9YN162 for a firmware update, keeping in mind that a firmware update will wipe the drive.

Hope this helps.

****EDIT: Just as a test to see if it is indeed your HD's, either download a CD of Linux (Known as Linux Live) and see if it will run. Or create a bootable USB with Linux on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok folks i really appreciate all the help. I gave in and purchased another motherboard and all if great. I contacted asus and they told me that they would send me another motherboard it would be 14 to 21 days for me to receive it or i could do a advanced replacement " 7 to 10 days " and them put a hold on my credit card for $360 until i sent the board back, thought that was a joke considering that i purchased the board for $189 at tigerdirect retail. I asked them how they came up with that figure and they said " suggested retail price " I use to love asus and they use to handle issues much quicker, guess they have gotten to big for there britches. i just thought that was a joke and went and purchased another board " not asus " thats for sure. Like i said everything is great now, thanks for the help. " by the way " bad onboard sata ports "

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what was the brand and model of your new motherboard?

Reaction score
I purchased the " Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 " no issues what so ever. I will never by ASUS again. They use to be great and worked for the customer but now wanting to charge double retail price for advanced shipping + $10 fee and it to take up to 14 days to get the replacement, thats just a crock of bull. I use to buy everything ASUS but never again. Thanks for all the help and yall have a great week.

Ask a Question