Hidden and dangerous game ping

Reaction score
hi every one ..i switched from xp to windows 7 ultimate 64 bit...i have a ping of 150 to 160 ms..in the servers which are situated in europe ...i wonder is ther any chance to reduce themm..coz i have seen many forums and many links in google but none of them solved my problem..so is there any posibilty to decrease my ping...my net speed is 512 kbps...pls reply me...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

Which country are you based on at the moment? It's not possible to reduce your ping past a certain level - unless you want to move closer to the server ;).

For example, I'm based in the UK and my ping to the w7forums.com server (Texas, USA) is 130ms. There's not much I can do to reduce that further, short of moving house.

Reaction score
thanks for your reply mate..i am from india ..now can i reduce my ping ?? lol i cant change my home there...

Reaction score
and in night times i will have 90 to 100ms after 1 o clock , rest of the time it will be 150 to 160...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're in India then I don't think you'll be able to get a better ping than 90ms to Western Europe- there is a lower limit that is down to the distance. To reduce your ping during busier times, you'd need to switch to another ISP that wasn't quite as busy - however there is more to it than just the "contention ratio" as it depends how busy the rest of the ISP's network is.

In short, unfortunately there's not much you can do from your end (i.e. using tweaks) to lower your ping.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your ping IS your lag. Basically any ping higher than about 80 means you are lagging. In general it has very little to do with your hardware locally and everything to do with your ISP and how you connect. Cable > DSL > dial-up. And it also has to do with how many hops (nodes) your signal has to pass through to get to the other end - so pick a server closest to you (there are weird times that these may be slower than a server farther away but on average they tend to be better).

Another issue is packet loss - that would be information loss from you or from the server; the higher your packetloss the more data that has to retransmitted; this can often be more detrimental than lag and can often be helped by using a smaller packet size.

Reaction score
i think there is no problem with my systemm....al i have to do is change my isp ...as u said if there are any packet loss...how should we knw that there is a packet loss ..is there any sotware to decrease this loss.?? and coming to hops...same how sholud we knw homany hops i need to cross to reach server?? how can we determine these things

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I play subspace continuum (old 2D game but I like it) and there is a command I can issue ?lag which tells me ping as well as c2s & s2c (computer to server and visa versa) packet loss %. Your game probably has a similar feature or a bot you can query for the info.

Here is a free service,

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the reply mate...last question ,,,now my internet speed is 512kbps..if i change to 1 mbps. ..will be there any ping difference ???..how much it may decrease from 150 ???

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
For comparison.
I also speed tested from Burlington VT (100 miles) with DL @ about 8/mb/s

Reaction score
hey and if i increase my net speed from 512 to 1 mbps...will it decrease my ping..if so then how much it may decrease from 160 ???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
hey and if i increase my net speed from 512 to 1 mbps...will it decrease my ping..if so then how much it may decrease from 160 ???
I repeat ... Not likely.

It will only increase how much you can download per minute

Ping is based on how many hops your connection has to make between your computer and the server and is effected very little by the split second it takes to get from your computer to your ISPs server. Change your ISP or accept the connection, and therefore the ping, they make for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem may not even be with the ISP, but just a general problem from the broader area.

To test, open an elevated command prompt. Type the following command and press enter:

tracert servernamehere.com

You could put the i.p. address instead. It will show you the delay times between all hops. You can then do a lookup on the hops to see where the biggest problem(s) are.

If they are with your specific ISP, complain to them. If anywhere else, really nothing you can do, even with an ISP change.

Ask a Question