SOLVED Hidden Taskbar

Reaction score
I prefer to locate my taskbar (and quick launch etc) at the top of the screen (rather than the more conventional bottom position)

However, a lot of software / applications locate their opening window at the top of the screen and often in a "normalised" window rather than "maximised".

Consequently, my taskbar (etc) covers the top of the application's window, including it’s minimising, maximising & closing icons.

Moving my taskbar (say to one side) then replacing it at the top has the effect of moving the top of the application's window down to below my taskbar and revealing the it’s icons.

I can then adjust the size and position of the application's window as required.

Is there any way around this - can Windows 7 be made to open applications' windows below the taskbar if the latter is located at the top of the screen?

Regards
donwb

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you set the taskbar so that it does not autohide (in other words it is always on) then your applications should always open below the taskbar.

So I am guessing you have autohide enabled....
Taskbar-Autohide.jpg
or you are using something like rocketdock.

Unfortunately autohide often does not work as it should because if Windows thinks there is a "warning event" then it stays active. This is a common problem but there are a few programs to force hide the taskbar.

I use a HideTaskbar program View attachment HideTaskbar.zip; basically you add this little program to the quickstart menu and if the taskbar refuses to go away then you run it and it hides all but the start button.

There are others, such as THIS, that work with control keys to hide the taskbar but I have never tried this but it may be something you would like to try.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Trainable Man for your response.
My TaskBar is always on, but still these odd applications are obscured.
However, I have found that by putting a link/icon/shortcut to the application in the TaskBar (right hand side), the application now opens to cover the taskbar (rather than the other way around as was) and if I then click the maximising square, it then drops below the TB.
So this is an acceptable solution.
Cheers
donwb

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well newer windowed applications should remember where the window was located when it was closed and automatically reopen there, so if you move the non-maximized window where you want it to be then hit the X in the upper right it should remember that spot next time it opens. It's possible you have very old software that was designed to open with the upper left corner at location 0,0, in which case there isn't much you can do besides what you are already doing.

As long as you have a solution you can live with I will mark this as solved.

Ask a Question