Hi everyone,

Reaction score
I just got my new computer with Windows 7 64 bit installed on it, but it's all in one partition. How can I have more partitions? Do I need to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit again to have more partitions? When I tried to reinstall it again, Autorun doesn't work !!! By the way, I am not a computer expert, so please don't reply too technical.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXTA_UD5 AMD790FX AM3 DDR3 3PCI-E 3-Way Crossfire X @GBLAN SATA3 USB 3.0
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad Core Processor AMD 3.4 GHZ 8MB Cache
DDDR3 Memory: OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV4GK 4GB DDR3 2x2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Dual Channel
Hard Drive: WD10EARS 1TB SATA 64 MB Cache 3.5 IN Hard Drive

Please help me to sove this problem. :dontknow:

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just got my new computer with Windows 7 64 bit installed on it, but it's all in one partition. How can I have more partitions? Do I need to reinstall Windows & 64 bit again to have more partitions? When I tried to reinstall it again, Autorun doesn't work !!! Bu the way, I am not a computer expert, so please don't reply too technical.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXTA_UD5 AMD790FX AM3 DDR3 3PCI-E 3-Way Crossfire X @GBLAN SATA3 USB 3.0
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad Core Processor AMD 3.4 GHZ 8MB Cache
DDDR3 Memory: OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV4GK 4GB DDR3 2x2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Dual Channel
Hard Drive: WD10EARS 1TB SATA 64 MB Cache 3.5 IN Hard Drive

Please help me to sove this problem. :dontknow:
Welcome to the forum, Fara! That's a impressive system you have there. You want to create partitions? Click Start, type "Partition" w/o the quotes, and the option will appear to create and format partitions. You can "shrink" your main partition to create another. Hope this helps, and should you need further assistance, post back anytime.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Fara - Welcome to w7forums

catilley is correct. :)

On a side note to answer part of your question. Windows 7 will allow you to shrink and expand your partitions without harming your data, there is no need in formating or re-installing windows. It might be best to run a defragmenting program first though. This will arrange all your files together so the partitioning tool will not have to move them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Fara :ciao:

Catilley and Clifford hit the nail on the head there :)

Reaction score
Thank you all, you guys are fabulous. I learned how to shrink or expand a partition but when I use shrink option, the new partition shows as "unallocated". what does it mean? the original partition has blue margin and unallocated one has black margin. what's the difference? Can I use the unallocated partition same as the original?

cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
You will need to create a partition in the unallocated space now that you have finished shrinking the primary partition. After creating the partition you will need to format. Please take your time and make certain you are not trying to format a different partition that has you data or files on it. Once you have finished formating, there should be a drive letter assigned to the new partition. If not, there is also an option to assign drive letters. On a side note, you can even change the drive letters if you wish. Drive C: will be the only drive letter you can not change.

Please be warned though if you install any programs to the new drive, changing that drive letter afterward will result in broken links or even a corrupt install of windows.

Reaction score
Thank you Clifford_cooley, I did what you told me. I finished shrinking the primary partition but when I right-clicked on it, it doesn't let me format it. How should I format an unallocated partition?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Fara! That's a impressive system you have there. You want to create partitions? Click Start, type "Partition" w/o the quotes, and the option will appear to create and format partitions. You can "shrink" your main partition to create another. Hope this helps, and should you need further assistance, post back anytime.
Thanks I did it....

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to see you do it, Fara! I knew how to shrink a partition using the Windows tool, but have never formatted with it. I have a partitioning CD to do it with called GParted. I'm going to bookmark this thread for further reference. Should you need anymore assistance with anything, post back, there's usually someone around here that knows what's going on. Best of luck to you.

Ask a Question