Hello to everyone, I would like to install programs software on 2d drive.

Reaction score
Trying to leave windows drive with plenty of space. C/ drive is 300gb but I do a lot video and picture editing also some 3d graphics like Poser, Veu, Silo and other odds and ends. That hard drive fills up too fast. I also use a program adobe Lightroom and edit in raw format.That takes up a huge amount of space.
I was thinking of install a second hard drive 2TB and parttion 500gb for software and have the rest for storage and need a lot virtual memory here. Any problems with? Anyone done this? Thanks Good Day.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's no problem at all do to this - I've done it before when using my primary SSD for apps I need to be fast, but a slower mechanical drive to bulky apps I don't use very often. The easiest way would be to just install them to the D: when choosing an install location during the application setup :).

Reaction score
I do the same. Currently only my games and Email is stored on the data drive. But I have in the past installed applications to the data drive. Practically all applications will allow for changing the destination of the install folder.

As long as the drive is not removable, it shouldn't present a problem. With removable drives the drive letter will change. Changing drive letters with installed applications will cause broken applications. However a few minutes in Disk Management reassigning drive letters will fix the issues. In the end it is better not to install to removable media.

The only other time an issue might present itself, is installing another drive. Installing another drive might shift the drive letters around, making D: a different drive. If this happens as stated above, a few minutes in Disk Management reassigning the drive letters will fix the issue.

I'm not trying to be confusing, trying to state there is a fix if you ever run into trouble. Trouble if your applications stop working because the system switched drive letters for the data drive. It has been a long time since I have had this happen, but when it does I know what to do.

Reaction score
It's no problem at all do to this - I've done it before when using my primary SSD for apps I need to be fast, but a slower mechanical drive to bulky apps I don't use very often. The easiest way would be to just install them to the D: when choosing an install location during the application setup :).
Thanks for the timely reply and the answer really helps me.. I will clone my c drive to SSD as soon or if I can up date my motherbroad. Right now it dose not recognize SSD as such. Just use that for Windows basically. Happy New Year to you.

Reaction score
I do the same. Currently only my games and Email is stored on the data drive. But I have in the past installed applications to the data drive. Practically all applications will allow for changing the destination of the install folder.

As long as the drive is not removable, it shouldn't present a problem. With removable drives the drive letter will change. Changing drive letters with installed applications will cause broken applications. However a few minutes in Disk Management reassigning drive letters will fix the issues. In the end it is better not to install to removable media.

The only other time an issue might present itself, is installing another drive. Installing another drive might shift the drive letters around, making D: a different drive. If this happens as stated above, a few minutes in Disk Management reassigning the drive letters will fix the issue.

I'm not trying to be confusing, trying to state there is a fix if you ever run into trouble. Trouble if your applications stop working because the system switched drive letters for the data drive. It has been a long time since I have had this happen, but when it does I know what to do.
Thank you Clifford. Helps me a lot at least I think I am headed in the right direction. Old BF2 fan and the Fighter Ace. Had a lot enjoyment out of them. Too many hour in those games but what fun.. Happy New Year to you.

Ask a Question