Help: Windows 7 Tied to My Motherboard?

Reaction score
Hello,

On my laptop I have a sticker that says "Windows 7 Home Premium OA" on it. I'd like to swap Windows 7 on my laptop with XP on my desktop, but after some research it seems like 'OA' means 'OEM' and the OS is tied to the motherboard of my laptop.

I don't see what the issue is if I somehow prove Windows 7 is not installed on the laptop anymore to be able to install it on my desktop computer.

Is there any way to unregister Windows 7 from the laptop to be able to install it on the desktop? Why should Microsoft care as long as I am using one copy of Windows 7 on one computer?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Windows is very stubborn about this.

You can only use 1 OS copy on 1 motherboard. No exceptions. You cannot migrate your copy to another machine.

You're now forced to get a new copy of windows 7. :( I'm sorry.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Chief is correct, only the full versions licenses of W7 are transferable (which sold separately and for about $300US)

Reaction score
A relative of mine has a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium OA as well, but the hardware has failed.

Could I salvage the OS in a situation like this with a broken computer?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Officially NO, the OS lives and dies with the motherboard, but I have heard stories where Microsoft has allowed activation (by phone) when individuals replace their damaged motherboard with the exact same make/model MOBO.

Ask a Question