SOLVED Help and Support window keeps popping up

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I installed windows 7 on my HP compaq laptop. it was working fine. Then 2 days ago the Windows Help ans Support window started popping up and now I can't get ride of it. How can I disable it. I have tried a few things but they have not worked. In the task manager under processes I see the HelpPane.exe. If I hit end task on it, it just starts again. With it being on I can't do anything.
HELP

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

Do you have an HP Help wizard running in the system tray? If so, can you try temporarily disabling it to see if that prevents the popups?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same problem with pdsam55.. I tried scanning it with Norton Internet security and one live care but no virus or spyware was detected.

I already reformatted and reinstalled windows 7 ultimate but still the same.

Would appreacite any help from you guyz!. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any chance you are hitting the F1 key or it's stuck? This is programmed to open Help & support. Try a different keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi TrainableMan,

Thanks for the reply.

No, it was neither stuck. I tried to run this so called registrybooster2010 and 250 errors was detected in my registry. Now, I dont know how would I fix it. Im not yet sure if it has something to do with my installer. Registry will be deleted also as you format right? I cant figure out how come there are errors in my registry..

Thanks again. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, many registry errors are very common issues - for example Microsoft Word may be set to remember the last 5 documents you edited, well what if you actually deleted one of those items because you no longer want it? A registry checker sees this as an error because the registry points to a file that does not exist. Now this error won't make Word function incorrectly but it may slow it down a 100th of a second while he checks to see if the file is there. Other cases for registry errors are uninstalled software - you tried a product then deleted it when the free trial ended - again it may leave pointers to deleted items. A registry cleaner attempts to remove these invalid links to make system calls to the registry more efficient.

Most registry cleaners offer to save the registry changes to a backup file before deleting, basically it writes out the information to a file before it deletes it from the registry. This way if something is deleted that it turns out you need, it can be restored. This is always a good safety precaution.

OK, now I am not clear - do you believe this registry cleaner caused what is happening? Or is this something you ran to try to fix the problem? A registry cleaner isn't likely to fix such a problem but it could inadvertantly create such a problem by deleting something that was needed - this is when you would execute the backup file it created and it would put back all the changes it took out, effectively putting you back to before you ran the registry cleaner.

Another thing you said worries me - FORMAT. When you format a harddrive EVERYTHING on that drive is lost - the operating system, the registry, all your programs and all your data. I do not believe you are at this point so please do not format. The system normally takes restore points at least once a week so I would recommend trying a restore to a previous date/time before I would ever format and reinstall everything. Also you should have been given the option to create a system repair disk and hopefully you did that, that is another thing we could try.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BTW, CCLEANER and TuneUp Utilities 2010 are the only registry cleaners I have any experience using in Windows 7 and therefore are the only products I feel safe to recommend.

Many free registry cleaners and free virus scanners are actually malware designed to infect your computer with annoying popups "buy me to clean your system" etc

Now I did a search and Registry Booster 2010 v4.7.1.1 is a free download from CNET and I trust CNET so if that is the version and location where you got the software, then it should be valid for the purpose it is said to do.

Reaction score
Hi again,

Im really going crazy now. Its back again. I thought its ok the last time I used the registry booster but now its here again. :(

I already tried to restore to previous dates but still the same so I decided to reformat but still nothing happened good. I went to where I brought the unit and they tried to check and fix it. They tried to reinstall a trial version of windows 7 just to check if its just my installer that has a problem but its still the same. I suspect my hardware has problem but according to them its only the OS.

Is there a way to return its factory settings??! Do you think its really just an OS problem?

Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this a laptop or desktop? Are you absolutely sure the F1 key isn't bad?
If they installed another copy and it started doing it again then I honestly suspect it is hardware. Have you used registry booster since the reinstall?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would like you to try downloading KeyTweak
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
and disable the F1 key.

If this solves the problem then it would pretty much prove there is a problem with your F1 key.

I have never used this program but it seems like the best chance to test my theory.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would do a complete clean install NOT using any HP supplied install discs.

Use the regular Windows 7 install DVD, not HP's.

Download all the necessary drivers from the HP website but none of the HP junk software.

Set the DVD drive to be the primary boot drive and put in the install DVD and delete all partitions. Set up a 48-64 GB partition for the Windows 7 install and the rest of the HD for all the other stuff such as downloads, docs, photos, etc.

Install and then load the drivers, starting with the chipset or main motherboard driver first. Then the video driver, if necessary and the LAN and wireless drivers, then sound drivers.

If you need a genuine MS Windows install DVD for either the Home Premium or Professional edition in 32 or 64 bit, go here: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Download the ISO image you need and burn it to a blank DVD with ImgBurn, a free ISO image burning program.

You can use the existing key you already have for whichever edition of Windows 7 you're using.

Reaction score
A laptop. Im not 100% sure.. I was thinking maybe theres a short circuit because whatever key i press now it pop out.. Yes, they already installed another copy but it didnt work out. I havent used registry booster again..

How would I disable the F1 key? Ok I will try that one.

Thanks so much for your time. I hope this work this time.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open Msconfig and look under the startup tab. Untick anything relating to Help - normally it would be called the "help pane" or similar.

Reaction score
Just did what you advised. I disabled the F1 key and it seems ok now.. :D
Help box is not popping out. Thanks thanks so much Sir! :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I would still get rid of that unnecessary HP software. Just takes up room and really isn't that helpful to begin with.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If disabling the F1 key solved your problem then you need to take the laptop back to the store and get your money back, your F1 key is broken. Replacing the keyboard on a laptop can be tricky and unless they are willing to do that for you then I would get a refund because they sold you a defective unit. You should not have to disable part of your keyboard just to use your laptop.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If disabling the F1 key solved your problem then you need to take the laptop back to the store and get your money back, your F1 key is broken. Replacing the keyboard on a laptop can be tricky and unless they are willing to do that for you then I would get a refund because they sold you a defective unit. You should not have to disable part of your keyboard just to use your laptop.
TrainableMan is 100% correct on this! There is no reason whatsoever to have to disable a F1 key to make your laptop usable.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't, somehow, think he has that option. I cannot see that the laptop is reasonably new and /or under gurantee?
I'm Not sure from his last post if it was even disabling the key or scratching something from Msconfig.
The thread was hijacked.. I wonder if the OP sorted out the problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went to where I brought the unit and they tried to check and fix it. They tried to reinstall a trial version of windows 7 just to check if its just my installer that has a problem but its still the same. I suspect my hardware has problem but according to them its only the OS.
My quess is that he bought it used. They are trying to claim it's a software problem but disabling the key making it stop proves it is a hardware failure. I believe he may have some recourse, definately something I would look in to before keeping a broken laptop.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It would depend on where it was bought, and how it was paid for, as to any consumer protection. If I understood correctly, the OP recently installed 7 onto this laptop. I have reread the thread, and there's nothing mentioned as to when the laptop was purchased. Too, as low as the prices are now, I just can't see paying much for a laptop, then purchasing a new OS for it. Crap like keys not working and such, is why I'll never buy used again. On mine, the arrow down key fell off a couple of months ago, it looks like it was glued back on at some time. But I've had it awhile now, another piece of eBay crap.

Ask a Question