Having issues with BitLocker

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today, I'm trying to get BitLocker installed, but I'm having some problems. I'm doing the install from Ultimate (it's the only OS to support administrating it).

My issue is this: Drive D (HP, Windows 7 Pro) is currently encrypting, and I've printed the key for it already. But when I try to setup BitLocker encryption on the partition containing Ultimate, it reports that I don't have the TPM 2.1 (or whatever) for it to work. Assuming that this is true, why is the factory OS currently encrypting, and not Ultimate?

I did have BitLocker setup before, on both drives, as well as a USB 2.0 flash drive containing pictures and other important documents.

I just don't get it, either you have the TPM or you don't. I checked the BIOS, I cant find anything with mention of it. But the fact that my OEM install is encrypting suggests that the component is installed.

Any suggestions?

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I got a chance to read the article, it was very informative. But I didn't find the answer for my issue within it. My OEM install is encrypted with BitLocker, I also encrypted a USB flash drive with stored emails, documents & pictures today, a couple of days after I created this thread. But Ultimate itself will not lock down, when I try, it still says that no TPM is installed. But if it weren't, how could I twice lock down drives with BitLocker, within Ultimate itself? It would lock down previously, but the OS has been removed and reinstalled since.

There has to be a simple answer to this somehow. Is there a chance that a fresh reinstall of Ultimate will improve things? Or, without it installed, would I be taking the chance of making my OEM partition useless by removing Ultimate, without removing the encryption first?

Another thing that I see, I don't know if it may or may not have anything to do with it. Looking at the partition chart in Ultimate, it shows that I have five primaries, which I don't. Partition Magic shows Mint (and the swap partition) as logical ones, which is correct, I created them as such. The chart in Ultimate shows these two as primaries, but when I click onto it to change things, the options are shaded. Like I said, I don't know if this is the culprit, but it may help for it to be known here.

Cat

Ask a Question