gradually a dead town?

Reaction score
Well, I find this place very quiet. Do our members still visit this forum?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are still plenty of us here, although as there are now 1 (or 2 depending on how you look at it!) subsequent operating systems from Microsoft, then there's going to be an upswing on the Windows 8/8.1 site at the expense of this one I guess.

That said, there are going to be a huge number of Windows 7 users for many years to come :).

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I admit I don't regularly check on these forums, but I do still drop by!

Ian is certainly right on his comment. Windows 7 will become the next "Windows XP" in the sense of largest install base + holdouts that refuse to upgrade further (for lack of need to, or any other reason). So even though it's slowed down, I don't see these forums going THAT quiet ;)

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Well, I find this place very quiet. Do our members still visit this forum?
It does look a bit bare, but hey - people have lives, and @Ian is correct - people are moving to Windows 8 (my school has upgraded to Windows 8!).

Liam

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Another factor has crept in, over a period of time. Windows 8/8.1 comments in this thread are correct.
But, regarding earlier OSs. I have noticed a decline in Windows 7, or XP and even earlier, over the past year. IMHO, I think one reason may be, (pretty much as Trainableman said) is that just about every problem has been recorded on the web. Computer users no longer have a need to join , or visit, any single forum. They can merely google and get the answer at random.
There are two very noticeable examples on a couple of forums I frequent. One is so prolific, that, after only a few hours away, you can be faced with several pages of new posts. But, if you analyse them, they are mostly exchanges/chats about various computer subjects, sometimes not even related to the Forum OS title.
This is the trend now.
Also the big boys, computer magazines etc, are getting in on the act with more vigour. Possibly, when googling, users would prefer to launch in to such sites as Microsoft's own help forums, or with known names.
I stress, again, it is my opinion. But I do feel that forums, as we old regulars know them, are losing interest for casual browsers.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hey clifford,

@ davehc:
I stress, again, it is my opinion. But I do feel that forums, as we old regulars know them, are losing interest.
Just the way MS and Apple want it to be, a dumb-ed down tablet society.o_O

Ask a Question