BSOD whilst playing Walking Dead

Reaction score
Hey, this is the first time this has happened since i've owned the computer. I was playing the Walking Dead game for about an hour and a half and out of no where I BSOD.

Here is the minidump which was created: http://www.mediafire.com/?3321dcvbo2c61dp or use the attachment.

If anyone could tell me what caused the BSOD so i can see if i can do anything to prevent it happening again in the future, i would be extremely grateful. Thanks :)

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Ram: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Gainward GTX 660ti
Processor:Intel Core i5 3570k 3.40ghz (not overclocked)
HDD: 500gb

Attachments

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you installed ALL available patches from Microsoft Update?

What malware protection do you use and have you scanned your system with it?

Reaction score
Have you installed ALL available patches from Microsoft Update?

What malware protection do you use and have you scanned your system with it?
I only have the important updates installed and I use avast. I did a full scan about a month ago and their were no detections.

Would installing the optional updates possibly prevent the BSOD from happening in the future?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It is possible since the optional updates typically include device drivers.

In your case the BSOD was related to discache.sys which is an indexing & caching driver. It's an unusual culprit and usually there's an infection. Of course, you could also simply have a corrupt system file and/or failing hard drive.

I'd run all the available updates first. Then, in the command prompt, run "chkdsk c: /f" and "sfc /scannow" to check the drive and the file system integrity, respectively.

Reaction score
It is possible since the optional updates typically include device drivers.

In your case the BSOD was related to discache.sys which is an indexing & caching driver. It's an unusual culprit and usually there's an infection. Of course, you could also simply have a corrupt system file and/or failing hard drive.

I'd run all the available updates first. Then, in the command prompt, run "chkdsk c: /f" and "sfc /scannow" to check the drive and the file system integrity, respectively.
I just installed some optional updates, ran a quick scan in Avast which found nothing and also ran the chkdsk and sfc /scannow which found no errors. Hopefully the BSOD was a one off and won't happen again. :S

Anyway thanks for your help, i'll post here again if the BSOD reoccurs.

Reaction score
hey, just experienced another BSOD straight after my PC booted up. This is after i had updated my graphics drivers and installed some optional windows updates. :S

Attachments

Ask a Question