Google dumps Windows

Reaction score
Google dumps Windows; Is Microsoft's OS headed down a troubled path?
A Financial Times report late Monday cited “several Google employees,” who say the shift was accelerated by security concerns following the hacking attack that prompted Google to shut down its China site earlier this year. The report says that new hires are given the option of a Mac or Linux-based PC as their company-issued computer. It also quotes some employees who say that uproar at Google over the phase-out of Windows has been far less than it might have been if the company had pulled the plug on Apple products.
I realize that it’s only one company - a soon-to-be-competitor, no less - but I can’t help but wonder if this move by Google is a sign of worse things to come for Microsoft, as it relates to the future of the Windows operating system. I only raise the point because this FT report reminded me of a blog post by Forrester analyst Sarah Rotman Epps last week in which she explores Microsoft’s position in the tablet game and the company’s need for an answer to the iPad - from an OS point-of-view.
In it, she talks about the concept of “curated computing,” a style of personal computing where choice is limited but relevance is abundant. That, of course, is the iPad model, which she refers to as jukebox style computing. But, there’s no reason Microsoft can’t - and shouldn’t - also come up with a curated computing device to go head-to-head with the iPad, especially if it can tether with the Xbox to create a digital living room that the company has envisioned for years.
Back in April, Microsoft pulled the plug on Courier, a folding tablet/booklet device that was reportedly in “late prototype” last fall. That’s unfortunate, Rotman Epps writes, because the company needs to be in this ball game - for the sake of the OS. She writes:
At stake for Microsoft is no less than the future of the OS: For Microsoft to remain relevant to consumers, it needs to adapt its operating system to new form factors beyond the traditional PC. Forrester estimates that tablets will outsell netbooks in the US starting in 2013, and tablets will constitute 20% of all PC sales in the US in 2015. Microsoft needs its operating system on those tablets. Now it needs to convince its partners — and consumers — that they need Microsoft, too.
Certainly, I don’t think a decision by Google to pull the plug on internal use of Windows machines spells the end for the OS. After all, Windows is a security risk because it’s so deeply entrenched into the world of personal and business computing. Tech bad guys tend to target the biggest audience of users - and that’s Windows.
But the growing popularity of the Mac, as well as computers that are Linux-based, and now the upcoming launch of Chrome, does put some increased pressure on Microsoft. Investors are already feeling shaky about the company’s missteps on the mobile front and now the OS is coming under attack, as well.

Update: Microsoft’s corporate communications chief Frank X. Shaw has some fun with the FT story on his personal Twitter account. He notes that Google is going Google—nothing more nothing less. Among some of the more entertaining tweets:
  • news flash: Google boards up all windows in its global HQ, citing security concerns. Must credit FT.
  • News flash: Google bans ford cars using Sync from its parking lot, citing security issues. Must credit FT.
  • News flash: Google bans Bing from its computers. Must credit FT. Picture on Bing home page is distracting to G engineers
Why blame OS for everything?

I think that Google will have some real issues if a Mac or a Linux machine gets hacked. Then what Google? Seems to me I would ask these China employee's of Google why they were using IE and not Chrome? Or a more secure browser. Were they using IE 6 ( cringe). Sorry to say its like blaming a car for a accident and not the driver. Maybe Google needs employee's that are more cautious?

respectfully

jeffreyobrien
SOURCE OF INFORMATION LINK:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/googl...headed-down-a-troubled-path/35212?tag=nl.e539

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thank God, I hope that Google goes their own way. If they prefer to go with less than 10% of the entire computing population, let them go. It will be their loss, not ours.

Reaction score
If you ask me Google is not making any sense with that decision. Personally I don't care what Google does or says. As soon as an OS takes more shares away from Microsoft, they will find out just how insecure they are as well as Microsoft products. It is easy for an OS that doesn't attract as much attention to seem more secure.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I just hope this is the "proverbial" wake up call for Microsoft.

Thanks for the very informative and excellent post! Jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The article did explain why I couldn't place Bing on Google's OS when I tried it out. Seems that they are going into a digging themselves a deep hole by going with Mac & Linux. Although some Linux OS's are on the rise, there is still a lot of room for improvement to replace Windows as a whole. I can see a Linux OS such as Ubuntu or Mint surpassing Mac, but not Windows. Without Windows, Google will fail, it's as simple as that.

And as Windows users, we'll take Bing and move forward. Those "gimmick" items may look good to some, but they are fads, and replacing the PC will prove to be a very difficult task to accomplish. M$ will come out smelling like a rose on this deal.

Reaction score
Thank God, I hope that Google goes their own way. If they prefer to go with less than 10% of the entire computing population, let them go. It will be their loss, not ours.
Yahoo Yipee I agree Google can well and truely eat my dust.I never liked it & it's always had some security issues.Let them Go it will be their loss & our gain.Its like they said "its a MAC ATTACK"

thanks catilley for your input

regards
jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A "MAC ATTACK"! Now that's a good one, considering that Mac's weaknesses are being exposed. Combine Google with them, what a one-two punch of insecurity. Fortunately, with Mint (and FF in 7), I can simply remove their search engine from the list. I don't know if you can do that with Safari.

Reaction score
Does not really matter if you can actually 'remove' safari (I don't think you can on a Mac, I've never tried with mine) just don't use it. On my Mac I have FF and also Camino as alternatives.
I've noticed FF on my Minty machine does not seem to have all the tweaks it did under Windows, still works ok though.

Just re-read your post Cat. you were meaning the search engine weren't you? I was thinking browsers.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Okay...so a massive company switches employees' machines from using Windows to other operating systems...and you think this is great for Microsoft how exactly? Because anything that Google does to move farther away from Microsoft is good?

No. For one thing, there's the loss of revenue when a massive international corporation like Google stops purchasing volume licenses. If they stop using Windows, then they likely aren't using Office either, or Windows Server, or any other products which Microsoft sells. Yes, MS undoubtedly can afford the hit, but it's still just that, a hit.

Furthermore, it does not matter one iota whether Google's employees use Windows or not, in terms of there being a wedge between these companies. Google's Chrome OS is not a threat to Windows as a desktop OS, which is where most of MS's Windows-related income comes in anyway. What Google is doing with its Chrome OS is kind of like what Microsoft did with Office Live or whatever they call it; Office Live Or Whatever does not replace Office, but it does expand on what can already be done on Microsoft software. Similarly, while I don't think Chrome OS looks like something I'd seriously use as a main OS, it does have the advantage of being the first of its kind. From the early beta I tried, it seemed more like an OS-turned-web-interface, which may not be your cup of tea any more than it is mine, but it's still innovative, and I appreciate innovation, regardless of where it's coming from.

Reaction score
This is an extremely intelligent move for Google, and very disappointing for Microsoft.

Core echoed most of my thoughts on the matter.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does not really matter if you can actually 'remove' safari (I don't think you can on a Mac, I've never tried with mine) just don't use it. On my Mac I have FF and also Camino as alternatives.
I've noticed FF on my Minty machine does not seem to have all the tweaks it did under Windows, still works ok though.

Just re-read your post Cat. you were meaning the search engine weren't you? I was thinking browsers.
I was meaning the search engine from the browser, Google is very much a part of Safari. I don't recall being able to switch search engines in Safari, but it's been a year since I've used it. I've read that with Mac's you don't have a choice, but on Windows you have the choice of Google or Yahoo for search engines. So the choice could have been there, but I never noticed it. Anyway, I don't care for Safari, they load other programs onto your computer besides the browser. If I want a Mac, I'll buy one. I don't need or want "Apple Software Update" or "Bonjour", whatever the hell that is, on my computer.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yes, you can change search engines in Safari on OS X.

Bonjour, née Rendezvous, is a network protocol of sorts for Macs and Windows machines. It's supposed to make it easier to, for example, share a Mac-connected printer with Windows clients. I don't know much about it, my experiences are mostly with going to great lengths to get it out of my machine. Apple will tell you otherwise, and I cannot explain it, but Bonjour/Rendezvous has always slowed down my Internet/LAN connection noticeably on Windows. It adds an additional gateway of all zeroes and things just go haywire from there. Used to come with certain Adobe products, don't know if it still does. I don't hate Apple or anything, in fact if I could run OS X on my PC (without apps crashing) I might choose it over Windows, but Bonjour I can live without.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't hate Apple either, but the bottom line is, I simply can't afford it. When I decided to purchase a desktop last summer, Apple was the first place that I looked. Needless to say, I didn't look there long. I thought there was a chance to get one for a grand or so. You can't find one for that price even in their refurb outlet. Even on eBay, the sellers wants that much for many 10+ year old ones. No way, I'll never give a grand for that old of a computer. The monitor (19 inch) was as bulky as one of those older model TV's.

I'll stick with Windows and select versions of Linux to meet my needs. Apple is just way too overpriced for the average user. I'd prefer Mint over Mac on any day.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the gripe I have with Apple, too. I think OS X is a great operating system, and some of the applications for it (Scrivener, Pages) are fantastic. However, there's nothing extraordinary about their hardware. It's simply overpriced. Now, I could understand it way before, when they were on PPC chips and Macs did outperform PCs a lot of the time... But now that they use Intel and common hardware like Radeon, well...it's kind of hard to justify spending that kind of money for the same parts I can get for a quarter of the price from Fry's.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum.. You can install OSX on a PC, but with a few legal issues.

You might have heard of "Hackintosh". That's an OSX Upgrade DVD installed on an Intel Computer, that is not mac.

Basicly, you can install OSX on any Intel computer without any problems concerning updates and apps, but only by breaking the EULA.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Hum.. You can install OSX on a PC, but with a few legal issues.

You might have heard of "Hackintosh". That's an OSX Upgrade DVD installed on an Intel Computer, that is not mac.

Basicly, you can install OSX on any Intel computer without any problems concerning updates and apps, but only by breaking the EULA.
I know. Having the luxury of not being burdened with moral fiber, I've ran OSX86 on my PC, briefly - although not until I owned a physical retail copy of OS X. All the hardware worked, graphics, networking, etc, but most non-OS applications simply crashed on it or were unpredictable, undoubtedly because my processor is AMD. I hear it works a lot less problematically on Intels. It was damn fast... I wish Time Machine existed for Windows, or Linux for that matter.

Reaction score
I like the Apple software updater, quick and easy, bonjour does still come with some Adobe stuff as it ended up on my PC a while ago by default and I removed it.
Apple O/S (on an Apple machine) is very stable and fast to boot but I've still got last Gen Apple with PPC chip. Would like to see OSX running on a Hackintosh.
What I loved about my Apple when I first turned it on was how it immediately found my wireless router and worked and how you can pretty much give it any sort of file and it knows what to do with it, mind you that's comparing it to XP not Win 7.
Quality control on some Apple stuff seems to have slipped and you pay premium prices for hardware and only get 12months warranty, that's a real downer when you think you can pay under a grand for a ready to go PC.
Once you start custom building a PC however you get a lot closer to Apple prices but generally then your running better quality hardware with 2yrs or better warranty.

Reaction score

I own an old ibook G4 white with safari,FF,IE,I am going to Just try (as an exercise) to remove safari & IE.I have the latest O\S released 6 months ago thats how much I use windows its been six months since I even turned it on,actually it was longer when RTM arrived I was like everyone else curious & excited about w7 release I haven't changed back to my older laptops which I have neglected so I am off to do some catching up on my other awesome computers.
thanks mychael for your post
regards
jeffreyobrien

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question